Harline placement, need advice

I am considering HT shortly, and need advice on the hairline placement. Please check my web page for the pics. This is the hairline i would like to have, but i wonder if it is appropriate or too conservative/aggressive.

Also, i would like some opinion on the density/grafts required to get that hairline. I am thinning a little at the crown, diffuse thinning at the top and receding at the temples. I will leave the crown for now and hoping propecia will do the work. What would be an estimate for the # grafts required, considering that i don't care that much about dense packing, just want to create the illusion of fullness, and save some grafts for eventual second or third HT as my situation progresses. Thanks.

My weblog: http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=502

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Hmmm....not too sure. Im sure others will respond too, but are you ONLY talking about lowering your hairline and NOT thickening up behind the receded area?

If so AND you are not too concerned about density and only want some "cover" then I would think that 1100-1400 grafts would do. Not sure though...others will post.

Hairline looks ok to me; of course, when you go consult w/ a doc he will work with you to give you the best idea of what type of hairline plan you should work towards that best compliments your face while also considering it's "appropriateness".

As for how many grafts you might be looking at, ballpark....~2000 was my initial reaction. Also, dense packing afaik also is often the best way to achieve the illusion of fullness and naturallness -- pretty much no one is going to actually get "full" restoration even with "dense packing" (i.e. your actual, true density/haircount will not be what it once was).

It is all about the illusion of fullness while best utilizing the finite donorRegardless of your exact # of grafts in this first procedure -- be it 1500, 2500, 3500 -- I'd be shocked if you didn't have plenty in the tank for additional procedure(s).

For your crown, I think it is a sound to use propecia/rogain 5% foam/nizoral shampoo and see how you respond before committing...you can get marvelous results w/ the aforementioned, particularly on the crown.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

latinlotus,

I would not go that low on the temples; Actually I don't think you should lower your hairline much at all; I would have the doc focus on adding density in the hairine area and reinforce with grafts working back where it is starting to thin; also, get on propecia to stave off further loss;

latinlotus,

I personally would draw the hairline up approx. 1/2 cm or more and really focus on density. It will be much easier for the surgeon to create a dense natural hairline if you don't try to lower it much. Also, one should remember that in the future you can always lower hairline but very challenging to raise it.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

dhoose & nervous:

So i guess you guys think that the hairline is too agressive? However, if the temples are not touched, i don't see the purpose of going for HT as the only thing that bothers me is the receding temples. As of now, the thinning at the hairling and the top do not bother me at all (maybe in 4-5 years).

I tend to agree that the temples can be a little higher say 0.5 cm. As mentioned, i prefer to have a lower and thin hairline (say around 30-40 FU/cm2) rather that a dense packed but high hairline.

Are there anyone who has some pics of HT with density of 30-40 FU/cm2 to show? Thanks.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Guest josh - b

latinlotus,

Interesting post. Your hairloss is similiar to mine but i'm a little more diffuse but without the noticable crown loss.

I've done an online consult with a few leading doctors and a couple including dr wolf suggested just thickening up my hairline while others including hasson and wong were in favour of lowering it a little. Like you i don't see the point if i cannot lower it a little to achieve a pleasing result and at 30 - 40 cm2 you're being wisely conserative imo.

If you're not on the meds then i suggest you start so as to stabilise your hairloss and at 35 you're definitely a good canditate.

Maybe as nn suggests you should move your proposed hairline up a tad and my guess is 1200 - 1400fu at 30 - 40 fu cm2 would give you the result you are looking for. (but get on the meds, especially for your crown)