Consulting and HT - 2 trips?

I have the choice of a doctor 3 hours away that I've heard very positive things. But i'm also interested in Cooley who is across the country. Would i have to fly out there once for a quick consultation and then again for the procedure? Seems very expensive and time consuming. I would like your opinion - i've decided to go for it just researching doctors.

thanks

I have the choice of a doctor 3 hours away that I've heard very positive things. But i'm also interested in Cooley who is across the country. Would i have to fly out there once for a quick consultation and then again for the procedure? Seems very expensive and time consuming. I would like your opinion - i've decided to go for it just researching doctors.

thanks

Originally posted by struggling:

thanks

I'm going with Dr. Cooley in a couple of weeks, and I haven't met him yet. I emailed pics to Aileen, who is his asst., and she consulted with Dr. Cooley and we did an hour phone consult. They also offered to make an appointment to speak directly with the doctor on the phone (or in person if I wish).

They recommend I come in late the afternoon before so I can meet Dr. Cooley and we can get a game plan together; as he starts at like 7 a.m. So, I'll go in the day before at 5:00.

If there is a major difference in seeing me in person or on the pics we can adjust the gameplan then.

I'm pretty educated now on this, and his reputation seems impeccable, so I think this is a good plan for me.

He's about 300 miles from me so I'm driving in. I would think it will be similar with any doc, unless you have some special circumstances you want them to look at.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I basically did the same thing as Dewayne. I consulted by telephone with H&W, got a general synopsis by sending them photos and then spoke separately to the staff a couple of times followed by a telephone conversation with Dr. Hasson, the surgeon who I had selected.

I had already done my research on the HT and several doctors so I was prepared to make a commitment. I was satisfied I had made the right choice so I scheduled the procedure and met with the doctor and staff the day before. I could've and would've canceled at that point if something didn't feel right, but as expected, everything was ok.

I think this is fairly common and as long as you do your research you should be fine. Don't be afraid to get all of your questions answered beforehand.

Rambler

Who is the doctor 3h away? Whether you travel across the country depends on your evaluation of how superior Doctor X is (in this case Cooley), over Doctor Y, and whether you find it to be worth the trek.

Also, I think e-consults can be great and many clinics do them really well.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

• 1 year later...

I used Dr Stough, the father (Blu) in 1993. It is now 2009 and my hair stylist says his work is the best she has ever seen. She has been cutting and styling in California for more than 20 years. He does the work personally. This is most important! I would highly recommend his son!

I was lucky that many Coalition doctors went to the conference in Montreal last September. I was able to meet a few of them in person, instead of flying all over the country! I was happy to meet Pat and Bill there as well along with some nurses at their party icon_smile.gif

I think personal consultation is ideal, but sometimes you need to rely on online/telephone consultations. Apart from pics, a video can be very helpful as well. Nevertheless, seeing the doctor the day before of the procedure is a must in order to go over strategy and hairline design.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

ei man, its funny to see this topic as i just came from a flight of a consultation too, i emailed dr devroye my photos, he sent me me online consultation but said it was good to see me in person, so i tooked the flight, it was 200 euros but hey, man, its a thing for a life time, are you gonna base it in just a online consultation?

even if i think they can pull it out whats best for u, i dont think you loose anything in go see the doctor for a consultation, speak about the pros and the contrs, and then take all the time in the world to decide whats best for you!

Going to a personal consultation was the best for me, im sure