6.5 Weeks Post Op

Hello All,

I am 6.5 weeks post op form 1700 graphs around my native hair in the frontal region. I have kept a fair number of the transplanted hair.

I have not and do not plan to scrub hard with the shampoo, i still use a cup of water to rinse! I think this helped with keeping a good number of the transplants.

My question, is it safe to say these hairs, which have begun to grow, will stick around if they are not gone at 6.5 weeks?

Hello All,

I am 6.5 weeks post op form 1700 graphs around my native hair in the frontal region. I have kept a fair number of the transplanted hair.

I have not and do not plan to scrub hard with the shampoo, i still use a cup of water to rinse! I think this helped with keeping a good number of the transplants.

My question, is it safe to say these hairs, which have begun to grow, will stick around if they are not gone at 6.5 weeks?

This is pure guesswork, mind you, but I would say if you've not shed the grafts in the first 2-3 weeks you may have a pretty good shot at keeping what is left.

As for scrubbing hard..........after the grafts are seated around 7-10 days you should have massaged the scalp enough that the scabs are gone. At 6.5 weeks I'm assuming yours have been gone for awhile, right?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

yes, all scabs are gone. I do not wish to rinse hard for two reasons.

This is my second HT. During my first, i used the same method of washing gentle for an extended period and managed to keep the majority of graphs and they grew from the get go (one of the lucky ones i guess)

Also, I have a good amount of native hair and do not want to scrub hard and cause trama to the weak hairs.

I understand I am being overly protective of what i got, but i think its working icon_smile.gif

morenewhair,

Some hair transplant patients are lucky and get to keep some of their transplanted hairs. If they shed however, don't be discouraged - some transplanted hairs do shed late.

It is best however, not to look forward to any new hair growth at all until between 3 and 5 months. Remember, this is when it starts and a cosmetic difference may not be evident for 6-8 months.

Anything sooner than that is a bonus icon_smile.gif

Bill

Bill, please advice me. I have 2 questions.

It's been 2 weeks since I had my HT.

1.There is a good amount of flaky crust built up in the grafted area and when I try to feel and rub them gently with my fingers many of the grafted hairs seem to just come off easily. These hairs seem to have a thick root kind of a thing attached at one end. Is this just the crust or the root itself is coming off? Please advice. I hope the roots would be intact after 2 weeks.

2. How do I clean the grafted area and what is earliest time before all the grafted hairs fall off?

just4hair,

As long as you are not seeing any blood, I am sure you are fine. transplanted hairs typically start to shed between 2-4 weeks so you are probably just experiencing shedding. The fact that you still have a number of scabs however, might mean that you've been overly gentle with the scabs. Though it is ALWAYS best to follow the advice of your hair transplant physician, I put together a hair loss Q&A blog on how to remove scabs/crusts.

Click here to view it.

Bill

just4hair, You are likely seeing the hair shaft and the attached bulb. That is simply the transplanted hair that has decided to leave for now. Rest assured, the grafts themselves are deeply rooted by now. A lost graft would appear with the shaft, bulb and surrounding transplanted tissue.