toppik vs. HT

CuriousGeorge

I was almost at the point of making my decision to get a HT, but then I tried toppik and it gave me more to think about. The toppik on my hairline and frontal forelock area actually makes a big difference, and it looks real. I still have a high hairline and receded temples, but it looks a lot denser. So I'm not thrilled with how I look, but it's better than nothing. The look is still not as desirable as the look I would get with a good HT. So the new question plaguing me: is it worth the time, money and future commitment to get a HT, when I can get just use the toppik and get a not-as-good (but acceptable) look?

It would be nice to not be slaved to the toppik every time I go out, plus I believe my HT would look a lot better in the long run and be a more permanent solution. Fire away, gentlemen.

CuriousGeorge

I was almost at the point of making my decision to get a HT, but then I tried toppik and it gave me more to think about. The toppik on my hairline and frontal forelock area actually makes a big difference, and it looks real. I still have a high hairline and receded temples, but it looks a lot denser. So I'm not thrilled with how I look, but it's better than nothing. The look is still not as desirable as the look I would get with a good HT. So the new question plaguing me: is it worth the time, money and future commitment to get a HT, when I can get just use the toppik and get a not-as-good (but acceptable) look?

It would be nice to not be slaved to the toppik every time I go out, plus I believe my HT would look a lot better in the long run and be a more permanent solution. Fire away, gentlemen.

CuriousGeorge

i have used toppik a few times and i agree it is great for guys who still have some hair. But, I don't want to be a slave to it so I use it only sparingly. Rain storms, swimming, sports.....a few times when I would be self concious with toppik on my head. i'd hate to look like the guy from Sha icon_eek.gifllow Hal.

JCW

Is there a website that shows good results of toppik used in the hairline? My thoughts were that it worked best on crown and that hairline was some kind of a problem-area.

Pictures of my hairloss can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiumdude2004/

Pictures of my hairloss can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiumdude2004/

It works okay on the hairline, but best on the crown. In the front of my head it works good to make it look denser, and in my thin hairs in front, I can put it on those. It is a little tricky making it look decent around the hairline. but the end result for me at least is a thicker front area and a fuller hairline. I have not found a website that shows pics of this.

CG

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like a useful thing to use for if (hopefully not) a gap appears between front hairline and back of head after fronthairline HT...

Please find a way of cloning hair so we can all just not have to worry..

Curious George-

I think the answer depends on you. How old are you? How much hair does it look like you are going to loose? Are you on medications? Would you be happy with the amount of hair you have right now? Will you be happy if your hairloss gets worse?

So far I'm very happy about having a transplant. I also use DermMatch. For me, I love being able to use less and less DermMatch. I use to use a hair system and was sooooo happy to get rid of that. Then (after the procedure and once I had enough hair grow in to get by) I started using Dermatch all over the top of my head. It would make me happier every time I got to use less and less DermMatch. I'm now to the point where I only have to use it in the crown, since I didn't have any work done there. For now, I'm happy that concealors exist and will continue to use them, but eventually I will have some more work done so I won't have to. For me, less maintenance and a better look is the better way to go.

Foxlox

I have to admit that I used Dermatch for quite a long time prior to my HT. It just got to the point where I didn't like the look (less and less hair). I also hated being self-conscious about it, it would rub off a bit when playing with my kid etc...

I just made the decision that it was time to do something about it, it is a personal choice.

Just waiting...

GAMBO

Thankyou all for your input.

FoxLox-I'm only 24, and I am on rogaine (for 4 yrs) and propecia (for 4 months). And I probably will lose at least a little more, so I would go for a conservative, yet dense hairline.

I am not happy with the amount of hair I have, but when I use the toppik, I can live with the look. But that may not be the case if I keep losing it, because you need a certain level of hair to make the concealers work for you. If I was older, I would agree, get a HT and stop worrying about and messing with the toppik. But since I'm young I may want to wait to see how much more I lose before I sit in the chair.

Bu then again, if I wait and continue to shed, that means it would be harder to conceal the HT, and I would have a period of greater baldness and inability to effectivly use toppik. Dog chasing it's tail....

CuriousGeorge,

If you are only 24, the look of Toppik is acceptable, and you only have been on Finesteride for four months, I think you are VERY smart in your decision to hold off on a hair transplant! I personally would wait until your hair appearance (with Toppik) is COMPETELY UNACEPTABLE before undergoing a transplant! Taking this approach offers the following advantages:

1.) It allows your future hair loss pattern to become more defined. Knowing the final pattern is crucial to optimizing the recipient area distribution and the long-term treatment plan (given a limited donor supply). The result is a future transplant will look better over the long-haul.

2.) Finesteride will thicken up your existing hair and probably grow some new hair after sustained regular use. Certainly this should be given 12 - 18 months MINIMUM to see how it alone will improve your appearance. It is something you want to do anyway no matter what (unless you have serious side effects), and therefore isn't costing you any "extra" money. Finally, the thicker your existing hair the less susceptable it will be to shock-loss after a potential future transplant.

3.) Hair transplants are invasive. Some single-digit percentage of your existing hair will suffer shock-loss after a transplant (assuming you are not transplanting into areas that are completely bald). Although most of this hair should grow back after several months, you will have a thinner look than pre-op during the interim. The really thin vellius type hairs will probably never grow back. Furthermore, some small portion of the normal thickness "shocked" hair will be permanently damaged and will not grow back as well. If you wait longer to have your transplant, you will have less existing hair at risk to these mechanisms and you will see a greater "before/after" improvement to feel good about (assuming a sufficiently large number of FU grafts were transplanted).

4.) Your hairline will recede further and you will age more into the mature look appropriate for the higher hairline. This will allow the (recommended) option of transplanting to a higher hairline and still looking your age -- thereby saving some precious donor hair and minimizing the potential unnatural look from future thinning behind a transplanted hairline.

5.) Once you jump on the hair transplant train, you will most likely ride it for life (or until your donor supply runs out). Boarding the train early will just mean a longer and more unpredictable surgical journey.

6.) At 24 and from what you describe you are near the beginning of the hair-loss curve and on the ramp-up. The further you progress along on that curve before your first transplant, the more likely it is you will need less total surgeries to maintain a natural, asthetically pleasing appearance. This is likely to save you total $$$ and gives you time to increase your earnings and save up money to do it right -- without getting into debt! Less surgeries also means less overall disruption to your life during recovery -- especially while in your prime 20's!

7.) Hair transplant technology and technique will continue to advance as will the number of highly talented doctors. The longer you wait, the more you will benefit from these improvements in the field.

Keep it real -- as long as you can...

GratefulHead