Has Anybody Had a vaso vagal moment during your procedure??

My experience; I was fine up until the doc started cutting the donor area and all of a sudden I felt nauseas, light headed, my blood pressure dropped and I started sweating - A TERRIBLE FEELING! When I told the doctor this he had me turn over on my stomach and he tilted the chair downwards and the feelings subsided.

This traumatized me to the point where I want to go in for another procedure but I am scared to death that I will have those feelings again - I actually had it happen 2 weeks ago when giving blood.

Appreciate any input you can provide.

My experience; I was fine up until the doc started cutting the donor area and all of a sudden I felt nauseas, light headed, my blood pressure dropped and I started sweating - A TERRIBLE FEELING! When I told the doctor this he had me turn over on my stomach and he tilted the chair downwards and the feelings subsided.

This traumatized me to the point where I want to go in for another procedure but I am scared to death that I will have those feelings again - I actually had it happen 2 weeks ago when giving blood.

Appreciate any input you can provide.

Did you have a Valium or anything before the procedure?

Sometimes people can get so worked up thinking about what is going on they hyperventilate etc....

I take a couple of Valium and it really just calms me---makes everything go by nice a quick.

Sounds as if you have a bit of a mental issue with whole process--now that you have been through it--next time ask for some valium--I doubt you will experience this.

Sorry you had a tough time mate!!!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

It was the epinephrine (adrenaline) they gave you when they injected the numbing shots. The "epi" is necessary because it slows the bleeding.

The adrenaline rush can cause exactly what you describe and it is very uncomfortable. The 'epi' can also bring on a panic attack. In any event it is usually short lived.

I've had a few myself, but in different medical procedures using this medicine. The bad feelings came right through the Valium, but surely would have been worse without it.

As noted in the posts above, I thnk Valium is a better choice than Xanax.

It is scary, but benign.

Excellent response Yogi!

Because mrkneed mentioned he had a similar experience giving blood, I wasn't sure if I should mention the epi----looks like I should have!

Anyway, that is an excellent post, imho--thanks for picking me up!!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I had a very similar experience for my third hair transplant. My heart rate increased and I felt anxious. I suppose it may have led to a panic attack, but I slowed and controlled my breathing by taking deep breaths in through the nose and out the mouth. Thankfully within a few minutes, my heart rate went down and it was all over. Though admittedly, I wouldn't want to experience that again, I know it can be controlled with breath control techniques and logic of knowing it will only be a minute or two.

Of course, as Yogi and Jason mentioed above, Valium might help relax you more than Xanax.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks everybody for your responses!

However this was totally different from the epi heart racing deal - this also happens when I give blood drop in blood pressure, sweating, nauseas and extreme lightheadedness came very close to passing out. Maybe a doctor can chime in on this??

I would guess that this episode has nothing to do with the epi used. The amount and strength of epi used is very small and is given locally to keep the anesthetic in the area been worked on. It is unlikely to have any systemic effects.

Epi increases blood pressure not lowers it.

A simple vasovagal syncope event is the most likely reason for what happened.

http://www.londoncardiac.ca/pages/vvs.htm

It's not dangerous in this sitution and while upsetting it can be controled and should not put you off further possible HTs

IH

HT2 2570 grafts Dr Feller

HT 2350 grafts Dr Epstein

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopic&TOPIC_OID=6751014913&f=2566060861

Actually it's both.

A vaso-vagal episode can occur completely on it's own due to psychological and/or physical stress, but it can be triggered EASIER if the patient has had epinephrine.

Here's a neat trick for all those docs out there who want to avoid vaso-vagals. Simply inject the patient WITHOUT epi while laying prone. Then, when the area is mostly numb, sit the patient up and give him a hit of orange juice (sugar). Then inject a mix of local anesthetic mixed with epi. Then immediately lay the patient back with feet up whether they feel syncope or not.Cover with a blanket. Give the patient about 8 minutes to get used to the epi and inform him that it is normal to for the heart to race for a few minutes and to feel a shake or a quiver througout the body. Turn music on, shut lights off, tell him to close his eyes. Leave the room.

This will eliminate about 98% of vaso-vagal episodes.

Dr. Feller