What Cause Poor Donor Density

By donor density I am talking about the total number of grafts that can be harvested from the back of the head for transplant - if I am wrong here, let me know.

With that said, is this just a genetic thing? and nothing can be done to improve the density? (I ask this in reference to someone who has never had a transplant)

By donor density I am talking about the total number of grafts that can be harvested from the back of the head for transplant - if I am wrong here, let me know.

With that said, is this just a genetic thing? and nothing can be done to improve the density? (I ask this in reference to someone who has never had a transplant)

mm76,

I'm not sure if I'm following you, but I'll attempt a stab at your question.

By the design of nature, you only have so much density (which refers to the amount of hair in any given area) in your donor area.

The number of grafts harvested in a single session has to do with not only your density, but scalp elasticity, and current and risk of fuiture hair loss.

Scalp exercises improves laxity, but you can't do anything to improve the natural density of your hair.

I hope this helps

Bill

Bill, I think you've understood what I was trying to say - at least your answer makes sense to me. I am not really concerned about how much hair can be harvested in one session.

For example, assume someone has an average of 6000 grafts - depending on laxity 4000-5000 (probably more) can be harvested in one HT session. Then should another procedure be required, the remaining hair can be harvested - i understand the laxity factor here.

I was more concerned about that initial 6000 figure or the total number of grafts someone has that can be used for ht procedures over time - what determines that?, and can it be improved?. Judging by your post "you can't do anything to improve the natural density of your hair." I guess that means if someone is estimated to have a total number of 6000 grafts - there is nothing that can be done to improve this figure?

On a side note, it is this 6000 that is considered the natural density, right?

mm76,

You only have so much hair on the sides and back of your head, and only a portion of it can be used for hair transplant surgery. We will call the portion that can be used for transplanting as the "donor area".

Depending on your elasticity and hair loss, some of this donor hair may not be accessible without either the risk of bad scar stretching or future loss of transplanted hair. We will call accessible hair from the sides and back of the head the "accessible donor area".

There are a few things that may increase the amount of "accessible donor area" and thus, overall follicular unit grafts available for hair restoration surgery

1) Hair Density: The more follicular unit grafts per square cm (FU/cm2), the greater the available accessible donor hair supply.

2) Scalp Exercises: These may help increase scalp elacticity and the amount of accessible donor area. This allows a qualified hair restoration physician to harvest more hair.

3) Current and future hair loss: The risk of hair loss in the temple region could prevent a surgeon from taking too long of a strip. Those with very little risk of experiencing hair loss in these areas are more likely to have harvested a longer strip, increasing the amount of accessible donor hair.

4) Trichophytic Closure Technique: Believe it or not, there is a slight loss of available donor hair every time the trichophytic closure technique is used. Though the number may be insignificant after one surgery, some physicians believe that it's better to use this closure technique only for the last surgery to minimize the amount of wasted accessible donor hair.

5) Number of Hair Transplant Sessions: No matter how skilled a surgeon, there is always some minor transection harvesting the donor strip. Additionally, with each subsequent session, the old scar must be harvested each time. If an optimal scar is 1mm in width, and you have three surgeries, that's 2mm worth of scalp being harvested that contains very little to no hair. Had you only had two surgeries, only 1mm would contain very little to no hair, thus maximizing the amount of harvested hair given your scalp elasticity.

6) Surgeon Selection: Selecting the right surgeon will increase the likelihood of minimizing transection and scarring and maximizing growth yield. Some surgeons are also willing to safely push the envelope to increase the amount of accessible donor hair.

I hope this helps.

Bill