Slick 2091 Grafts by Dr. Paul Shapiro

Hey guys coming up on 7 days post op and figured I'd post some pictures. I'm 25 and have always have had fine blonde hair; almost white when I was a child. I remember back when I was 16-17 girlfriends would tease me about my pink scalp and going bald. Now I don't think I was actually going bald at that age just that my hair was always fairly see through. I didn't even notice my thinning until I was around 23 when more than a few people would say "dude your goin bald" then I guessed I finally noticed (admitted) it. When I look at old pictures my hairline was high since 19-20 but the front really took off at about 22. Have been on finpecia for a year and results have been good, noticed some significant regrowth but not quite as much as I had hoped. Original surgery plan was 2500 but it was decided that much wasn't necessary so I ended up right around 2100. Donor density was very good and Dr. Paul brought the incision well behind the left ear so another larger session will be possible down the road if necessary. For 7 days post op there has been some discomfort along the way but nothing major. I await results! Comments?

1.jpg.da4a989355c075e31ad66f99d0fca098.jpg

Hey guys coming up on 7 days post op and figured I'd post some pictures. I'm 25 and have always have had fine blonde hair; almost white when I was a child. I remember back when I was 16-17 girlfriends would tease me about my pink scalp and going bald. Now I don't think I was actually going bald at that age just that my hair was always fairly see through. I didn't even notice my thinning until I was around 23 when more than a few people would say "dude your goin bald" then I guessed I finally noticed (admitted) it. When I look at old pictures my hairline was high since 19-20 but the front really took off at about 22. Have been on finpecia for a year and results have been good, noticed some significant regrowth but not quite as much as I had hoped. Original surgery plan was 2500 but it was decided that much wasn't necessary so I ended up right around 2100. Donor density was very good and Dr. Paul brought the incision well behind the left ear so another larger session will be possible down the road if necessary. For 7 days post op there has been some discomfort along the way but nothing major. I await results! Comments?

slick,

Thanks for posting about your experience with Dr. Paul Shapiro. I'm assuming this is Ron's brother who has been working in the same practice, correct me if I'm wrong.

There may have been other posts showing results from Dr. Paul Shapiro before but these are the first I've seen. It appears the surgery went great and you should have a very natural looking hairline. Keep posting your updates and congrats to you on a successful HT!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm 2 weeks post op and have seen lots of hair shedding. When I was at SMG the other day I asked Dr. Paul if I was back to where I started and he said he thought most of the transplanted hair still hasn't shed. That makes me pretty nervous because I'm already looking thin and I know it's just gonna get worse. Add on top of that possible shock loss and I'm worried! After shaving the rest down I can really notice how thin the crown is getting which is a downer not to mention my scar is pretty obvious and no option of a hat at work. I'm trying to stay positive but have a feeling this is gonna be a tough summer. I'll try to post some pics in the next few days.

Originally posted by maki8787:
pretty obvious

hey slick you said your scar is pretty obvious ?

do you have long hair behind?

and if yes how long?

My hair is probably about a #3 in length all over. I had an important event and I needed to get my hair cut but had a problem getting in at Shapiro. I had to go to my regular barber and he went a lot shorter than I planned only leaving longer hair directly above the scar circling my head. Well needless to say that looks a little strange but nobody has said anything yet (I try not give anyone a direct view of the area if possible). I'm sure if anyone here saw me on the street I'd be busted! Using a little dermmatch to hide the redness, which fades more every day.

3 weeks post op pictures. Hair has grown out a bit and most of the transplanted hair has shed. Been using the dermmatch which definetly helps reduce the shine but I think you need longer hair to really make it work. I think in the right light and if someone was close enough it could be detectable. Here's a pic of my hair right after washing.

top.jpg.bf39044303132a307471a02a05fc71a1.jpg

Here's the scar. Its hard to get a good pic at this angle! You can see what I'm saying around the hair above the scar being alot longer than the rest. A little dermmatch here helps to blend it in.

IMG00012.JPG.afaef952da30c76f30187ae5c45b49c8.JPG

Slick,

I also had mine done by Paul. I don't think it would have made any difference even if it was Ron himself doing it. Your scar look real good and I think if you don't tell anyone, then no one would have the slightest idea.

The only discomfort is the donor scar still feels quite tender. Sleeping is problem especially. HOpefully by the time the suture is removed the pain will stop.

I am 6 day post op and waiting for the new hair to shed.......

Originally posted by slick:

3 weeks post op pictures. Hair has grown out a bit and most of the transplanted hair has shed. Been using the dermmatch which definetly helps reduce the shine but I think you need longer hair to really make it work. I think in the right light and if someone was close enough it could be detectable. Here's a pic of my hair right after washing.

Hi Slick,

Did you find out if it is ok to use Dermmatch 3 weeks post op on the recipient area? Im curious because I will probably need to do the same.

By the way your scar covers up nicely, no one will definately have a clue judging from those pics!

Can I ask what your donor density was and did they say how much donor hair did you have left? Im just wondering if SMG is conservative in their estimates as they only quoted me 6k all up.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Frank:

I agree with what you say about Paul. We talked quite a bit before deciding to book with him just to make sure I wouldn't be making a trade off by not going with Ron himself. Dr. Paul certainly seems to have paid his dues not to mention I only had to wait a month to get in with him where as with Ron I would still be waiting until August! The donor area will begin to feel a lot better after the stiches come out. I made sure to keep the scar very clean and around day 9 or 10 began to clean the area aggressively to get rid of the crusties which helped with itchiness and and suture removal pain. Good luck, you're past the most annoying part which is the spraying the grafts I.M.O.

Jake:

I was okayed to use Dermmatch 10 days post op but I wouldn't recommend it until 2 weeks. All my scabs shed by day 8 but my scalp was still slightly rough in places and the Dermmatch would stick to those areas and look bad/detectable. I would recommend practicing with the Dermmatch for a while. I'm still trying to get the hang of this stuff especially over the scar. I have to admit that the scar pic makes my situation look better than it is in reality. My problem is not the scar really, but the hair below it is too short and doesn't blend in with the hair above the scar. Basically I have a ridge of hair going around my donor area. It doesn't look too bad in the back but look above the ear and it's pretty noticeable. I've been putting some gel in the area which helps somewhat...

For density I was told 90-100cm2 and laxity was "pretty good" I didn't really ask what I had left but I remember on my second consult Matt was telling me how I had low density and plan for 4000 and that's it. I guess he was being conservative considering my age. I'm not sure how they make the determination how many grafts a person has available?

Hi Slick,

I have exactly the same problem with my donor area, the scar above the ear is obvious because of the lack of hair. Im not really sure what to do about it either except heavily apply the dermmatch. Im thinking maybe a combination of toppik to add some hair as well as dermmatch at least while the hair around my donor area grows back.

If your density is 90-100cm2 that is pretty good density - normal density is between 80-100cm2. So they think you have 6000 grafts all up? yeah I think thats their estimate for my supply as well. Im hoping they are conservative because it appears that H&W typically estimate around 6500-8000 grafts for people - maybe the low graft count is because were young.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Slick:

I think you look fine in the two pictures. The average person would figure you just had a summer buzz cut. I was wondering if the hair growing on top was from the transplant and has not shed yet or is it your native hair?

I think almost all of the hair on top is my original hair. I'm still loosing a few on the dermmatch pad but a lot less than before so I hope it's trailing off. I'm not really into this buzzed look right now. I feel like I'm blinding people when I have to walk under high power lighting at work! Rows of recessed lighting and some 600W spots which I try to avoid icon_redface.gif

John I would say the obvious redness fades pretty quickly but I do still have a pink tinge to my scalp. Nobody said anything after 2 weeks. If someone did you could brush it off very easily as sunburn. A quick witted comeback will usually be enough for most people.