When is it safe to start working out again?

I'm 18 days post-op, and was wondering how soon I can start working out again. I'll probably wait until a month post-op but I was wondering what you guys thought, and if there was anything I needed to avoid or watch out for when I do start running and lifting again.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

I'm 18 days post-op, and was wondering how soon I can start working out again. I'll probably wait until a month post-op but I was wondering what you guys thought, and if there was anything I needed to avoid or watch out for when I do start running and lifting again.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

I would be careful the first month at least. I returned to about 75%, per Dr. Cooley's recommendation, after 3 weeks and I could feel a slight strain on the donor area particularly when laying on a flat bench.

I have a trainer so I had to keep making up excuses, faking injuries, etc. However, if I didn't have that I would have waited at least a couple of months.

You can get anything lost back in two or three weeks.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Originally posted by badger_01:

makes sense...i'll probably wait a couple of months to get back into the weight room then..any harm running before that?

I think the only issue with running is excessive persperation (sp?), and after a week you're ok there. Oddly enough, I actually lost a little weight during that 3 weeks or so of inactivity - which is a goal for me. I weighed 190 lbs (should weigh about 175) and after the 3 weeks I was down to about 185.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

i started working out again after a week and a half. after i got my sutures out i didn't feel any pain or tightness in my donor area. i am pretty young and healed up pretty quick. i would say if you have your stitches out and dont feel any discomfort you can proceed on to a light workout and build up from there.

You can start very light after about 2 weeks, very light walking, running, and light lifting. The key is not to excert yourself or put pressure in your head like holding your breath. Also, you do not want to sweat until 5 weeks out to keep area clean.