Had my 1st HT last wednesday (feb-14-07), but still feeling numbness on head ..!!?

Hi,

After a long wait & research, I had my 1st H.T (around 4500FUs)last Wednesday in a government military hospital in Shanghai China, with the help of a good translator.

As per my investigation, my doctor is very highly skilled & experienced in H.T surgeries. He did my whole surgery continuously (I mean without any break) for 7 hrs. I had some pain during the last couple of hrs of the surgery, but I am O.K now.

Today is my 8th day post-op. I am going back to U.S in 3 days.

If someone could answer, got 2 questions.

1. I still can't feel anything (numbness) on the top of my head in the transplanted area, Is this normal ? Usually till how many days this would last. I've read in a website that persistent numbness is one of the side effect of HT, is that true ?

2. My doc said, he is going to remove my stitches in another 2 days (I mean 11th day) and I am travelling the next day to U.S. Is it safe to travel right after the stitches are removed ? Also, is it going to pain during the stitch removal ?

Thanks in advance !

Hi

Yes, numbness is normal and you can travel with no problem..

How did you hear about your surgeon? Does he use Folicular units?

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Ditto Mrjb's post. Numbness will last awhile and you can travel without problems.

Do you have any pics you can share of the procedure..............any before/afters? Anything you can share about the Doc would be great.

Good luck,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

baldindian,

Welcome to the forums.

Everyone above is correct...numbness can occur for some time afterwards, even up to months...it varies from patient to patient with other variables involved such as session size, etc.

You are ok to travel...heck, I traveled the day after my HT to fly back home over 3000 miles. Just don't bump your head and be careful!

Any pictures you are willing to post?

Bill

Hello all,

Thanks for your replies. I know you all are very curious to know about my doc.

Actually I came here to Shanghai on a business trip followed by a 1 week vacation, so I just want to utilize this opportunity for my H.T, then I started searching in Google about HT here. I found the following link

http://english.eastday.com/eastday/englishedition/speci...bject1ai1664359.html

Yes, it is the same doc in the above link who performed mine ...Dr.Li Guhai

He works in 2 hospitals. one of them is this

http://www.sh-shuguang.com/english/. You can look at the HT department.

I will post my before & after pics once after I go back to U.S.

Thanks

• Administrators

Baldindian,

Welcome to our community and the real "Hair Club". Your the first American I've head of on this forum that has done a transplant over in China. I would be very curious to see your photos. The article you referenced was interesting but there were no photos on it.

Best wishes for great healing. Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

$2,100.00 for 4500 FU's.

Thats about $16,000.00 here in the US!

I guess it's the same reason almost everything is made in China, Cheap labor!

I hope they are quality...

Hello guys !,

Today I got my stitches removed by the doctor. Sorry, there was a mistake in my understanding with the doc (communication problem), today I specifically asked him how many GRAFTS he placed (with the help of a translator), he said he placed more than 2000 grafts, that means around 4500 hair.

So, in my initial postings on this form I wrongly posted it as 4500FUs, sorry it was 4500 hair.

But anyway I am satisfied overall when I compare it to the price paid ($2100).

That makes a little more sense. That is what I was figuring as the standard asian price seems to be approx. $1/graft. We all are looking forward to seeing some photos as it is definitely interesting to know that you work here in the US but elected to have surgery out of country. Was price the determining factor for you?? Had you consulted with docs here in North America. I'm curious about this topic. I have started a thread about it in this section. Good luck with the healing. Maybe you'll be the trend setter.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hi Nelly,

Yes, I've consulted "hair club" & "Bosley" in U.S they've quoted me around $10,000 to &11,000 for my HT session of 2000grafts. I, being a world traveller (my job makes me travel a lot around the world), always want to explore the new opportunities, so I focused on this growing up country China & found this good doc for my HT.

I will post my pics in the next week.

• 2 weeks later...

hi baldindian,

i am travelling to shanghai myself in april and i am also interested in a transplant consultation while i'm there. please advise on how i may get in touch with the shanghai military hospital where you had your procedure. also, now that it's been several weeks after your procedure, how do you feel about the transplant? was the procedure significantly less expesive than if you were to have the same procedure in the US?

very best,

ricardo

houston, tx

Originally posted by baldindian:

Hi,

After a long wait & research, I had my 1st H.T (around 4500FUs)last Wednesday in a government military hospital in Shanghai China, with the help of a good translator.

As per my investigation, my doctor is very highly skilled & experienced in H.T surgeries. He did my whole surgery continuously (I mean without any break) for 7 hrs. I had some pain during the last couple of hrs of the surgery, but I am O.K now.

Today is my 8th day post-op. I am going back to U.S in 3 days.

If someone could answer, got 2 questions.

1. I still can't feel anything (numbness) on the top of my head in the transplanted area, Is this normal ? Usually till how many days this would last. I've read in a website that persistent numbness is one of the side effect of HT, is that true ?

2. My doc said, he is going to remove my stitches in another 2 days (I mean 11th day) and I am travelling the next day to U.S. Is it safe to travel right after the stitches are removed ? Also, is it going to pain during the stitch removal ?

Thanks in advance !

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've attached the pictures of my condition before, after & during the surgery....Can you give your opinions about these?

1st 2 pics are before surgery:

ht0nh3.png

ht1ub6.png

Next pics are after the surgery & during the surgery:

URL=http://imageshack.us]ht2ya7.png [/url]

URL=http://imageshack.us]ht3yv3.png [/url]

ht4by3.png

htoprb5.jpg

Thanks,

Looks good

especially the price

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I had a little difficulty seeing the work.................if you had 2000 grafts in the frontal 1/3, your coverage likely won't be very dense but should be decent. Probably like what you appear to have in the midscalp area.

Thanks for posting..........good luck to you.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.