how long to wait for 2nd HT?

I had 1906 FU HT on October 10th. I am certain that I want to get at least that many again, and I want to do it soon! I wonder, what is the minimum amount of time I should wait? I would like to do it as soon as February (4 months), but I don't want to risk losing what I have. Anyone get a 2nd HT soon after the first? results?

thanks in advance for your opinions.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/jcwhair/

JCW

I had 1906 FU HT on October 10th. I am certain that I want to get at least that many again, and I want to do it soon! I wonder, what is the minimum amount of time I should wait? I would like to do it as soon as February (4 months), but I don't want to risk losing what I have. Anyone get a 2nd HT soon after the first? results?

thanks in advance for your opinions.

JCW

The absolute minimum is 6 months, with 1 year preferred. I was 6 mos, which was my docs minimum -- due to personal timing issues.

If you do it earlier (and even at 6 mos) you risk transectiing and destroying FUs from the first op that have not yet surfaced.

My advice now? Try to do as many as possible the first time and get it over with.

My Pix and Hair Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling and healing advice

I agree with Joecifus. MINIMUM 6 months. I'd say a year is better.

My experience is though while regrowth is pretty good month 3-6, it REALLY does thicken up month 6-12. That might be worth waiting for before jumping into another procedure.

You may find out that you want/need less grafts than you thought! And that's a good thing! icon_smile.gif

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

-- If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

-- The truth only matters if you know about it.

In recent years, the length of time interval recommended between hair transplant sessions has been increased, and for a number of good reasons.

In my own practice, if the head is relatively bald or quite thin, 6 months is the earliest I will perform the second procedure. If there is a fair amount of pre-existing hair remaining on top, then 8 months is my minimal interval till the second procedure. 8 months is my minimal interval between a second and third procedure.

The reasons for waiting a period of several months or more are threefold:

1) The blood supply to the scalp has a better chance to "regroup" and heal, returning somewhat closer to the normal state it was before transplanting was carried out

2) The hair transplanted at the preceding session is growing out, so that the surgeon won't accidentally "hit" any of those hairs, and also so that the patient sees the fruit of his financial investment, so that he isn't entering the next procedure only on faith. Remember, that the hair doesn't even start to grow out until 3-4 months after the procedure, and then only at 1/3 to 1/2 inch per month.

3) The scalp in the donor area has a chance to return to (or close to) its original laxity, so that, when the second strip is removed, it is easy to still end up with a single thin scar which is hard to notice.

Many surgeons who "dense pack" a region of the scalp (such as the frontal area), recommend waiting a year between sessions.

In female patients, I usually recommend at least 8 months before a second procedure, and most women wait around a year before their second one.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

appreciate the input from everyone. The concensus is apparently not to rush into the 2nd one, at least for 8 months. I'm having a hard time just waiting for the little guys to pop out, but I see the reasons to put off the next procedure. My current scar seems to be protruding slightly (I don't think keloid) so I am definitely interested in a second and final strip session, then FUE after that if needed.

JCW