• Administrators

Bleachchola12,

Visit this page which details the difference between FUE and single strip excision surgery.

All the best, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

No...

When I first read the term - I was thinking FUE too, but then it dawned on me so I looked at his site briefly...

Actually Single Strip harvesting refers to Strip surgery just as the multiple strip technique refers to Strip Surgery.

Edit...

He is referring to a single blade verses a multiple blade to remove the strip. The use of a single blade is best.

Unrelated information:

When I first read the single verses multiple strip, I mistakenly was thinking of removing the strip in one verses multiple sections.

That being said...

IMO, removing the strip in one section verses multiple sections is more risky and makes it more difficult to judge donor laxity - etc. There has been one such case of Dr. Rassman's that I know of where it could easily be debated that if the strip was removed in sections, a particular patient wouldn't have had as much damage to the donor area.

I also feel it's not good to keep the wound exposed to open air as long as he does by removing the strip in one piece.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill:

Actually Single Strip harvesting refers to Strip surgery just as the multiple strip technique refers to Strip Surgery.

Single strip surgery basically means that the strip is taken out at once rather than traditionally in sections (like Multiple-Strip surgery)

In all honesty, I'm not a fan of his single strip method, and perhaps later I'll take the time to read why exactly he feels this is better.

IMO, single strip removal verses multiple strip harvesting is more risky and makes it more difficult to judge donor laxity - etc. There has been one such case of Dr. Rassman's that I know of where it could easily be debated that if the strip was removed in sections, a particular patient wouldn't have had as much damage to the donor area.

Bill,

You are confusing terminologies here, I think. Read Dr. Rassman's website carefully.

"Multiple-Strip" = Multi-bladed knife (This is a BIG NO NO)

"Single-Strip" or Single Strip harvesting = Single or two-bladed knife (every doc in the coalition uses them)

All docs in the coalition, including Dr. Rassman cuts the Single-Strip, if it's too long, into multiple sections of same vertical width before extracting each sections of the Single-Strip from the scalp for microscope dissection.

Bleachcola12,

Welcome to the wonderful world of HT acronyms. Here is a short lession:

"FUE" = "FIT" = "FOX" all are basically the same. This is the technique where the doc plucks single follicular units from the donor.

"FUT" refers to Single-Strip where from the donor, the doc extracts a wide and long strip, which gets microscopically dissected by the technicians into single follicular units.

Any doctors who use a Multi-bladed knife on the donor, you should run away from like the wind.

Dr. Rassman, who is a very good and ethical doc, as stated in his website does NOT use a Multi-bladed knife.

rp1979,

I've already said I did NOT read Dr. Rassman's page.

Therefore it is very possible I was not interpreting HIS terminology correctly.

Now that I looked at it, you are correct.

I modified my original post to reflect accurate information.

However this does not dispute what I said...removing the strip in ONE section (which Dr. Rassman does) appears to be problematic and have additional risks associated with it while removing the strip in sections appears to be better.

But I agree...using a SINGLE blade is best.

Bill