Finaestride concerns?

I too have just received my first batch of proscar and have yet to start taking it...

After reading through the leaflet in the box I discovered that the drug can be dangerous for male foetuses in a pregnant women...

Me and my girlfriend are semi-trying to concieve a baby and I am concerned that the meds will cause problems or endager or possibly prevent conception taking place?

Anybody have any experience or information regarding this topic? Has anyone had kids while taking the drug?

The information says to prevent semen entering the women if she is already pregnant and the male is taking finaestride....

I don't want to prevent conception or cause problems in anyway for any future child that we may concieve so do you think it's best to avoid taking the drug altogether?

Would really appreciate some feedback on this one!

Thanks

The Englsihman

I too have just received my first batch of proscar and have yet to start taking it...

After reading through the leaflet in the box I discovered that the drug can be dangerous for male foetuses in a pregnant women...

Me and my girlfriend are semi-trying to concieve a baby and I am concerned that the meds will cause problems or endager or possibly prevent conception taking place?

Anybody have any experience or information regarding this topic? Has anyone had kids while taking the drug?

The information says to prevent semen entering the women if she is already pregnant and the male is taking finaestride....

I don't want to prevent conception or cause problems in anyway for any future child that we may concieve so do you think it's best to avoid taking the drug altogether?

Would really appreciate some feedback on this one!

Thanks

The Englsihman

I personally would not take it until you conceive. Once you know you are, I would then start to take it but ALWAYS strap one on when being intimate ; )

Blondie

Blond.

-----------------------------

PhD (Experimental and Clinical medicine)

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

The Englishman,

I always believe on erring on the side of caution. Most physicians I have talked to about this however, feel that it's ok to take Propecia while trying to conceive. Just don't let your wife handle broken tablets or ingest any.

But I admit my own reluctance of using it while trying to conceive. My wife and I are planning to start in the near future and I've been on Proscar (1/4 tablet daily) for 4 years. Stopping is not really something I want to do, so you bet I'm going to be doing a lot more research before trying to conceive.

I also encourage you to read this article written by Coalition member Dr. William Reed "Using Propecia (finasteride) While Trying to Conceive.

Best wishes,

Bill

I too have been concerned with this issue and I'm only going to try and address the issue of finasteride in the semen while trying to conceive NOT once a woman is actually pregnant.

As far as I know, from talking to doctors ,the half life of finasteride (ie the length of time it is in your system) is very short so if you stop taking it for a week or two before you try to conceive there should be no trace of it in the semen.This is even taking into consideration ,and apologies for being graphic, that say you were to ejaculate tomorrow ... the semen that would come out was actually produced in your body about 72 days ago.

This is medical fact.

Ask anyone who has gone through IVF or some other fertility treatment.

So ,given the small window of opportunity for a woman to get pregnant each month, if you've been on propecia for a good amount of time(say 6 months or more?)theoretically you should be able to come off it for short periods while you're trying to conceive each month and then go back on it without it affecting your hair loss concerns too much

Also bear in mind that in the clinical trials, the monkeys were given HUGE amounts of finasteride.Nothing like the doses that we take.

Finasteride does affect the volume of sperm you produce but not the sperm COUNT which is a much more crucial thing in the reproductive game

I'm not a doctor but maybe somebody else can concur with most of this

Long story short - i continued to take 1mg proscar a day and at the first attempt at a baby - "TWINS"

I wonder if there is a connection between men who take finasteride and the probability of havnig twins icon_smile.gif.

Spex, glad to hear you had two healthy babies while on finasteride. That certainly gives me hope since I really don't want to stop taking the medication and lose the hair below my crown.

Best wishes,

Bill

On Fin from September 2007. Gorgeous, healthy baby girl born May 2008. Follow the precautions from your doctor.

I started Fin after conception and we used contraception through the pregnancy. If we where to try for another baby, I would personally stop taking Finasteride.

I've been doing some reading on the subject of propecia for other concerns not related to pregnancy/conception issues. What I read seemed to indicate to me that there is no ralistically measurable risk to the fetus from your sperm while taking propecia, as long as your wife does not handle or ingest the drug herself. She should not handle it at all, just to be safe. Just like your wife shouldn't change a litter box while pregnant...or did my wife play me with that one?

As far as trying to conceive, what I read quoted studies showing somewhat reduced motility of sperm(20%) and slightly reduced volume of sperm in the ejaculate. That was not shown to inhibit pregnancy but you could see how some people might think you're possibly hurting your chances. Not the case, apparently. If you are having problems getting pregnant I would talk to your doctor but otherwise, if you follow the script, i would say you and baby are safe.