Does donor skin removal give your forehead a "facelift"?

I was just curious - I am 6 days post op now, all the swelling has subsided however the skin of my forehead is stretched tight giving it a much youthful appearance (all the wrinkles are gone).

The question I have for the esteemed doctors on this forum is - can I expect this to last or will my forehead revert back to what it was before the transplant?

My thoughts were since the skin in the donor area has been removed and then stapled shut tight, the wrinkle reduction on the forehead might be there for a while.

I was just curious - I am 6 days post op now, all the swelling has subsided however the skin of my forehead is stretched tight giving it a much youthful appearance (all the wrinkles are gone).

The question I have for the esteemed doctors on this forum is - can I expect this to last or will my forehead revert back to what it was before the transplant?

My thoughts were since the skin in the donor area has been removed and then stapled shut tight, the wrinkle reduction on the forehead might be there for a while.

I pretty certain everything stretches back to what it was...think about it...they dont remove enough scalp to make a cosmetic difference...and there's a thing called Laxity. Laxity in the scalp is what prevents your head from tightening up and also allows for multiple strip surgeries.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest balloonman

This is an interesting point and one that I have researched and experienced first hand.

When having a Hair Transplant via strip, the donor area is where they take the tissue. After closing, the first area that gets tension in the area directly above and below the scarline and then the tension spreads out over the remainder of the scalp until there is no tension.

To answer your question, YES a HT will reduce or remove the wringles in the forehead and brow area, hence you will get a mini brow lift as a result. The wrinkles and creases will be permanently reduced or removed for teh remainder of your life.

Obviously, as you grow old the skin again begins to sag and wrinkle and the areas that were once wrinkle free and taught will again sag but, the mini brow lift will remain for many years following the HT.

Ha Ha Rugger that was funny...

But I guess I was too happy too soon, the skin in the forehead has begun to return to its pre-op state (I guess I now have a practical understanding of scalp laxity) but it is still slightly tighter compared to what it was before. I guess this should be advertised in the HT clinics' brochures - get a transplant and we'll throw in a free forehead lift icon_smile.gif

Removing a strip in the donor area will not affect the forehead. Your scalp is attached to your skull with connective tissue. When removing a donor strip, the strip has to be physically detached from the scalp by cutting that connective tissue.

Any temprary decrease in wrinkles could be due to temporary or lingering effects of swelling from the surgery.

Unfortunately Arfy is absolutely right in my case:

"Any temprary decrease in wrinkles could be due to temporary or lingering effects of swelling from the surgery."

Obvoiusly we have too much time on our hands waiting for the grafts to come in and are just looking for positive results ANYWHERE. Good healing fortune...

Chaos, panic and disorder...my work here is done.

• 2 months later...

HAHAH

By Shed Harris: "Obvoiusly we have too much time on our hands waiting for the grafts to come in and are just looking for positive results ANYWHERE."

I may be less than a week post-op, but thats certainly true. Im sure glad mirrors dont charge by the look because I'm CONSTANTLY looking at all 2300 of my new best friends to make sure theyre still sitting there smiling at me.

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

The temporary facelift affect can sometimes be attibuted to post operative swelling. Once the swelling goes down, the wrinkles return.