Hair washing post op

Hey guys,

So I am 7 days post op - just a question...how agressive or gentle should I be when trying to remove the scabs/crusts from the hair? Can someone point me to a link or something?

I don't want to pull out any hairs but the instructions also said that I should be getting rid of all the other stuff...

thanks!

Hey guys,

So I am 7 days post op - just a question...how agressive or gentle should I be when trying to remove the scabs/crusts from the hair? Can someone point me to a link or something?

I don't want to pull out any hairs but the instructions also said that I should be getting rid of all the other stuff...

thanks!

After 7 days the grafts are pretty much secure; you can start to be more agressive after 1 week; I wouldn't use your fingernails and pick at the scabs; but you can use your fingertips and start to gently rub the receipent area.

Just like dhoose75 said, at 7 days you should let the water from your shower hit the grafts without much worry.................. i agree, no fingernails, just work them with the fingertips. You may even want to do it a couple times a day.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

This is a good question.

dhoose and hairbank gave you excellent answers.

Keep in mind that every hair transplant clinic has their own hair restoration postoperative instructions and they vary. Therefore it is always best to get detailed postoperative hair washing instructions directly from the hair transplant surgeon.

That being said, I thought I'd share my personal experience with hair washing after hair transplant surgery that worked well for me.

Day 0: (day of hair restoration surgery): Just relax. Do not wash your hair at all.

Day 1: If at all possible, visit your hair restoration clinic for a postoperative hair wash. If not, fill a cup with water mixed with shampoo and pour it gently over your head several times. Gently massage the shampoo into the donor area, cleaning the area around the scar.

Day 2 and 3: Fill a cup with water mixed with shampoo and pour it gently over your head several times. Gently massage the shampoo into the donor area, cleaning the area around the scar. Wash donor area normally working around the scar with care to work off any dried blood. Apply as much pressure as needed however, avoid using so much pressure that it causes pain.

Day 4: Assuming that your shower pressure is reasonable and not too harsh - let the water from the shower head hit your head normally. Massage shampoo in your hands until it lathers. Gently touch the grafts with the shampoo in the palm of your hands and gently touch with your finger tips. Avoid any massaging of the transplanted hair at this point. Continue washing donor area normally from this point on paying extra attention around the scar as to work off any dried blood and keep the area clean.

Day 5: Repeat the instructions from day 4 however, add very gentle back and forth motions with your finger tips through the transplanted hair. Avoid using your nails at all costs.

Day 6: Resume normal hair washing but be extra gentle with the hair grafts.

Day 7+: Begin showering twice a day normally however, use a little extra care of the follicuar unit grafts. Spend 10 extra minutes in the shower both in the morning and evening massaging with shampoo the hair grafts in a circular motion with your fingertips in order to start working off the scabs. Avoid using your fingernails at all costs. Do not apply a lot of pressure. The trick is to apply a constant circular motion to gradually work off the scabs rather than simply picking them off. Picking the scabs should be avoided at all costs. Whatever scabs don't come off in the shower will come off after subsequent showers and circular massaging. Additionally, when you come out of the shower and after looking in the mirror see some loose scabs, feel free to perform additional soft circular massaging over the scabs in front of the mirror to work off loose scabs. Scabs still tightly secured to the scalp should not be worked too much. These scabs will come off after subsequent showers in the coming days. Patience is important and don't force anything off.

I have found that by using the above method, scabs typically come off between 8-12 days.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Me, day 1 no wash, day 2 I just used shampoo and water in a bottle, poured it over my head. Carefully washed my sides and crown area as I still have alot of native hair. And lightly dabbed the graft area with a sponge (on day 3)

It is now day 7 and Im still doing the same thing. I also massages the donor area a bit with shampoo on my finger tips.

I was wondering if I didnt even help the scabs off, only the few that are visible and just let the others fall off themselves? That shouldnt be a problem huh. Let nature take its course as they say

When I had my procedures I started to soak the grafted area (at day 6 to 7) with a wash cloth for 30 min prior to my shower. If you can remember back to your childhood when you had a scab on your knee and went swimming it would be lost after 30 min or so. The soaking helps soften the scabs and they come off a lot easier than just going with the shower alone.

I would have all the scabs off within 36 hours using this method. And boy did it feel good to have them gone.

Hope this helps

I am a hair restoration client and have 10 years experience in the hair restoration industry, all my views are my own

Today is my 3rd day after my HT. 2nd day, I didn't wash my hair, I just kind of dab water on the side 'cause I was a bit concerned with the grafts accidentally falling off. 3rd day, I applied some bacitracin oinment on my grafts to help remove the scabs quicker in a week. I went to walgreens this evening and the lady said bacitracin is much better than neosporin. I am going to wait to shampoo my hair in a few hours. I bought some organic aloe shampoo this evening and going to use it later.