hair transplant looks after 10 yrs

Hi Everyone,

I was curious what people think of their transplant after 10 yrs, not sure how long the FUT has been around. I guess what I am getting it is that did people have a transplant 10 yrs ago and because their balding progress they had to get another transplant or does the transplant no longer look right?

Hi Everyone,

I was curious what people think of their transplant after 10 yrs, not sure how long the FUT has been around. I guess what I am getting it is that did people have a transplant 10 yrs ago and because their balding progress they had to get another transplant or does the transplant no longer look right?

Most persons who opt to have surgical intervention continue on to have more than one transplant surgeries in order to maintain the illusion of density.

take care...

I had the first procedure with mini's by Bosley about 17 years ago. There is no WAY that would have stood on it's own, and I made it about 5 years before it HAD to be covered with a second procedure. As is typical for Bosley, the work was not very good.

The second procedure successfully covered the bad Bosley work for about 6 more years, and then a third was required. The second procedure was a saving grace for a long time. But, hair loss continues, my remaining native hair continued to fall, and the Bosley mini's once again reared their ugly little pluggy heads.

The third procedure was really good, and I feel like I COULD stop here. It's weird, I guess it's the meds, but my hairloss has slowed down SO much. Odd, because I was one of those guys where you could see the loss starting in high school.

Bottom line, if your hairloss is still in the stage where it is progressing (i.e. you have not reached your final pattern), I think it is foolish to assume you can do a one and done procedure. There is debate about this topic and many good people have different opinions. To me it's blatantly obvious though... If your hair is still falling out, you cannot entirely predict the future. 10 years later you made need to do another. I will say that good doctors account for this as much as possible. They try to make it so that as your hair falls out it might look THIN, but it won't look unnatural. Alas, though, even this is not guaranteed. Basically, NOTHING is guaranteed. JMO, but if you are going into a procedure, and you are NOT prepared for the possibility that another procedure might be necessary at some point, you might be dangerously close to the realm of unrealistic expectations. Avoid looking at this through those rose colored glasses.

Stimpy

Although I hate the amount of hair loss that I have could it be a blessing now that I have decided on a hair transplant? (Pics on blog)

I'm sure I could lose more, but I have a lot of loss and I hope that the transplant I am having at this point in my hairloss will not require me to go back due to further loss.... Not saying I might not go back for more coverage, but wondering if loss would be an issue.

Thoughts?

Generally, and kind of ironically, you have a very good point. The further along you are with the balding, the more predictable the future becomes, and the odds of a one and done scenario improve greatly.

The thing about your hair (which looks very similar to mine) is that it appears you can see something of what *might* be the final pattern. Mine is just like that too.

It is possible those sides may drop a little more in the future, but they might not either. Plus, if the sides do drop, it will probably not be too much, and maybe something that can be filled in with a relatively small FUE procedure or something. PLUS, it will likely be WAY down the line timewise before those sides drop (IF they ever do).

Basically, in summary, I think you are in great shape for a possible one and done HT. If anybody can do a one and done procedure on somebody like you, it's H&W. You are in good hands. You never quite know for sure, though, so just keep it in the back of your mind that a decade or so down the line you MAY need a small procedure.

Regards, Stimpson

Greenmud:

In todays standards many hair transplants can stand alone even with progressive thinning or balding depending on the game plan, distribution of grafts and if the doctors are conservative, considers significant hair loss for the future. Most doctors are doing more grafts per session today than previously. Ten years ago, it was a different story.

However, the younger you are the more likely you will need a second or third procedure if you continue to recede especially to a NW 6. For example take a look at the gentleman below. Even in todays standard if he was 23 and someone dense packed the frontal hairline to lower it, how would he look without continued surgery. He would have a hairline a lot lower than where it is now but nothing in the back. Consequently, one needs to assess each patient individually to ascertain the age of the patient, future hair loss, appropriate number of grafts and location and whether it makes sense to lower a hair line significantly at a young age. Each case has to be individually planned and customized for the future.

wahat if we dense packed at age 25 on this patient.

Business Teach:

From your photos, you have already progressed significantly that with a large number session you could be very happy in a single session with an age appropriate hairline. YOu have good density, no signs of retrograde alopecia. If you assume a density of 90 cm squared an they can remove 60 cm squared of tissue, you are on your way to over 5400 grafts. YOu should be very happy when all is grown in with one procedure. If only 30 cm squared of tissue can be removed, then you have 2700 grafts in which case you will likely need a second procedure for the coverage and density. Keep on growing.