Minoxidil Tablets

Julius

Hi there

I was wondering if anybody is on minoxidil tablets, I am sick of applying it twice a day! I read that a clinic in Australia was using them with some impressive results on Dr Rassmans blog, though he warned that there is the possibility of serious complications, and it seems as if spex is using them.

Julius,

Minoxidil originally started out as blood pressure medication and was administered systemically. One of the side effect of the drug was increased hair growth.

If there is a clinic subjecting patients to this type of treatment (with impressive results) please post the link.

I don't know if Spex is using minoxidil tablets.

take care...

Originally posted by mmhce:

Julius,

Minoxidil originally started out as blood pressure medication and was administered systemically. One of the side effect of the drug was increased hair growth.

If there is a clinic subjecting patients to this type of treatment (with impressive results) please post the link.

I don't know if Spex is using minoxidil tablets.

Here's the blog link at least:

http://www.baldingblog.com/200...3/minoxidil-tablets/

The possible side effects seem to include death, which is somewhat inconvenient.

We all know that Minoxidil pills are used to treat

high blood pressure (side effect - hair growth) but If finasteride(Propecia) is used to treat Benign Hypertrophy of Prostate with 5mg a day, and 1mg daily for hair loss, than I thing that Minoxidil tablets (normally 10mg per pill) cut into 5 pieces (2mg per pill) will be effective for hair loss at least like topical Minoxidil. Remember that 30 pills - 5 mg finasteride - Proscar costs approximately 50$ and 30 pills 1mg finasteride - Propecia costs approx. 60$. Now Rogaine manufacturer - Pfizer has the license for topical products from Minoxidil and only trying to make more money just like Merck does with Propecia/Proscar. Hope this helps. Sorry for my bad english icon_biggrin.gif

Current regimen

------------------------------

Minoxidil 5% - 2x per day

Ketoconazole 2% - 2x per week

Merz Vitamin pills - 1x per day

We all know that Minoxidil pills are used to treat

high blood pressure (side effect - hair growth) but If finasteride(Propecia) is used to treat Benign Hypertrophy of Prostate with 5mg a day, and 1mg daily for hair loss, than I thing that Minoxidil tablets (normally 10mg per pill) cut into 5 pieces (2mg per pill) will be effective for hair loss at least like topical Minoxidil. Remember that 30 pills - 5 mg finasteride - Proscar costs approximately 50$ and 30 pills 1mg finasteride - Propecia costs approx. 60$. Now Rogaine manufacturer - Pfizer has the license for topical products from Minoxidil and only trying to make more money just like Merck does with Propecia/Proscar. Hope this helps. Sorry for my bad english

It's not your English you should be apologising for. What kind of advice is that?? It makes no sense!

Julius, just use topical formulas of minoxidil. I understand it can be a pain to have to apply but it's not worth risking possible systemic effects. I personally do not think you would see any difference in efficacy. So it comes down to effort on your part ??“ there's no easy fix!

Blond.

-----------------------------

PhD (Experimental and Clinical medicine)

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

Blondie, I do not recommended anything. It's what i think about that. I'm not a doctor as I sad before.

Current regimen

Blondie, I do not recommended anything. It's what i think about that. I'm not a doctor as I sad before.

O.K. Your right, everyone deserves an opinion. All I really care about is that people get good advice and that they don't cause themselves unnecessary harm. I just felt the example you gave didn't make sense. I don't think they are comparable. Proscar and propecia are both taken orally. Whilst Minoxidil has only been approved to be taken topically for MPB. But this is just my opinion??¦??¦

Blond.

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

Greetings Blondie. I'm glad we understood each other.Maybe your right but minoxidil was not discovered as a treatment for hair loss as topical, but also as a drug for high blood pressure (hair growth - side effect) just like finasteride(Propecia). And then it was discovered that is has good absorption when applied topically and then patented like a topical solution. As you know, Propecia is forbidden for women (even if they touch it with their hands)so it means that Propecia has good absorption in blood and only the money making and patents are important in this huge hair loss industry. (MY OPINION) - (NOT ADVICE)

Current regimen

Hi VeniVidiVici, I know that hair growth was discovered as an observed side effect with oral minoxidil therapy, just like with finasteride. That is not debatable and I completely agree with you on the money making patent strategies of pharmaceutical companies.

What I am saying is that Minoxidil was patented as a topical because it has a better safety profile than the oral route whilst being effective. Propecia did not (as it doesn't work on the follicles directly like minoxidil, it has an indirect effect by reducing circulating DHT). If propecia was to have a direct effect at the target site then it would have been marketed as a topical treatment, claiming low systemic absorption (like minoxidil does).

As minoxidil is delivered to the intended target site you can use lower doses than required if trying the same approach orally and hence systemically. This lowers the risk of systemic side effects.

Now taking the approach to just divide minoxidil tablets by the 'propecia factor' hoping that it will work is shear guess work with unknown consequences. It could be effective but in my opinion I don't think it's a great idea and I would advise someone against doing it. Minoxidil can cause serious health problems and is normally used as a last resort in terms of hypertension medication. Don't just take my word though, consult a physician and see what they say.

Sorry about the wordy response ??“ it has been a long day and I'm too tired to re-type : )

All the best.

Blond.

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

Propecia is forbidden for women (even if they touch it with their hands)

Not necessarily. Some studies have been done on non-child bearing women with postive results.

Now taking the approach to just divide minoxidil tablets by the 'propecia factor' hoping that it will work is shear guess work with unknown consequences. It could be effective but in my opinion I don't think it's a great idea and I would advise someone against doing it.

Blondie is right. The pharmaco-dynamics isn't equivalent between the two chemicals.

However with the same chemical (such as a vitamin, just to use a silly example)this approach of proportionate dosing is applied to subjects with different body masses, by simple interpolation.

take care...

Thanks for the replies. Sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong. The only way for us to learn more is to share our opinions and experiences. It's humanely. Best wishes.

Current regimen

Originally posted by Julius:

Hi there

I was wondering if anybody is on minoxidil tablets, I am sick of applying it twice a day! I read that a clinic in Australia was using them with some impressive results on Dr Rassmans blog, though he warned that there is the possibility of serious complications, and it seems as if spex is using them.

Why was it then made into a topical ?

Originally posted by Where'd It Go:
Originally posted by Julius:

Hi there

Why was it then made into a topical ?

Hi Where'd It Go,

Think Blondie put it on one of her previous posts

Originally posted by Blondie:

What I am saying is that Minoxidil was patented as a topical because it has a better safety profile than the oral route whilst being effective. Propecia did not (as it doesn't work on the follicles directly like minoxidil, it has an indirect effect by reducing circulating DHT). If propecia was to have a direct effect at the target site then it would have been marketed as a topical treatment, claiming low systemic absorption (like minoxidil does).

Thanks for clearing that up mmhce. I have never thought about my style of writing before. Although, I am starting to think my profile name is somewhat effeminate lol!

Originally posted by VeniVidiVici:

Thanks for the replies. Sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong. The only way for us to learn more is to share our opinions and experiences. It's humanely. Best wishes.

VeniVidiVici, well put!! All the best.

Blond.

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)