Oxygen and Hairgrowth ??

Crystal

Being new to this forum but having been researching about HT's etc etc I think I have a good understanding of what I need to do to acheive my goals..

The questions I have are regarding general health etc and its effects on hair.

Its obvious that a good supply of oxygen in the bloodstream is needed.... but could someone who has occasional breathing difficulties which causes a sudden lack of oxygen affect hair growth ?? or hair loss.

Crystal

If you have occasional breathing difficulties, this obviously should be checked out by your doctor to find out exactly what is causing this problem. As for hair growth, if you remain conscious, you are getting enough oxygen to keep your hair alive. This is not the cause of any hair loss that you may have.

Thank you Dr Alexander.

I do suffer from occasional lack of breath but this is not related to a medical condition... more of a hobby that requires long periods where I have to hold my breath..

But thanks for the advice...

Best Regards

I agree with Dr. Alexander. Exposing yourself to low oxygen situations may cause additional stress to your whole body. This in turn could possibly make you experience hair loss at a faster rate than without the stress. However, it would most likely only be a permanent problem if you were genetically inclined to have hair loss later in life. In other words hair loss is almost always genetic. All the things you are exposed to and the stressful events probably only play a role in the rate at which the genetics express themselves. However, it is well documented that wounds do heal faster when exposed to high concentrations of oxygen.

Originally posted by Crystal:

Thank you Dr Alexander.

I do suffer from occasional lack of breath but this is not related to a medical condition... more of a hobby that requires long periods where I have to hold my breath..

But thanks for the advice...

Best Regards

I would be curious to know what type of hobby requires you to hold your breath so long.

I am with you JohnS.

But, all of us humans require oxygen, whether you want hair or not.

I doubt if holding your breath will alter your hair results. Back as a surgery intern, a bunch of us hooked ourselves up to the pulse ox device and tried to see who could go the lowest with breath holding. One guy was a diver and could hold his breath the longest, about 1.5 minutes as I recall. Even he couldn't get his blood oxygen down below 90% saturated.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 1 year later...

Not if you are basically healthy. Interestingly, we have gathered the data from our initial rat hair transplant study and are looking at blood vessel reattachment to the grafts....and will present this at the fall meeting of the ISHRS in Boston.

Hopefully we can show this is a model that can be tested for just what this thread suggests. We could do a few rat cases, and compare ones treated with hyperbaric oxygen treatments to controls and see if there is a difference... AND we may be able to show that smoking or second hand smoke slows it down.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians