Propecia's Side Effects - Comments please

Just wondering who if any have experienced any of the side effects from Propecia. I have been on Propecia a little over 3 months and fortunately, I have one of the lesser side effects ... but was hoping that possibly it is just temporary. What I am experiencing is a decreased ejaculate. Hmmmmm, that was kinda hard to admit icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyone offer any comments ??

THANKS!!!

Just wondering who if any have experienced any of the side effects from Propecia. I have been on Propecia a little over 3 months and fortunately, I have one of the lesser side effects ... but was hoping that possibly it is just temporary. What I am experiencing is a decreased ejaculate. Hmmmmm, that was kinda hard to admit icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyone offer any comments ??

THANKS!!!

Welcome to the club! Apart from a slight headache during the 1st 3 weeks, that's the only thing that I noticed... although, strangely, even that seems to get back to normal. Can't tell you how much it helped my hair though, & it's been only 4 months! The results have been great, especially on the crown.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Greggo- Ok- since we're all close and personal here... Just curious here- When you say "less" are you talking "less intense feeling" or simply "less- uh- er- mess"? Because if it's the second- I can see that as a benefit!

I did not experience any side effects at all, and it does seem to make the hair stronger. Jotronic complained that it shrunk his member, but a waitress at the Granville Inn later comfirmed it was always that small.

I haven't been on propecia very long (2-3 weeks).. I havent experianced any side effects yet... To me its worth it though, I'd rather have the side effects and have the option to still use my junk rather going bald on having no girl want my sorry ass

I've been on Propecia since the end of May and have experienced no side effects so far and I really hope and pray it stays that way. Hopefully scientists will come up with a replacement for Propecia very soon.

Personally, I think the side effects listed are a bit exaggerated. I have only heard of mild side-effects from Finasteride occurring and these instances seem to usually be temporary. I had a "slump" in my libido for about 4 weeks after about the first month of use, but I'm happy to say that everything is fine now!

-Robert

----------------------------------

As forum moderator and a Patient Advocate for the Coalition I'm available to answer any questions.

To view animations and videos and learn about leading hair restoration physicians visit http://www.regrowhair.com/our_physicians.asp

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments !!

I have no intentions of stopping the Propecia, just wasn't too happy with this little side effect. Was hoping to hear that is was possibly temporary, and from the comments I now have some hope.

FUTzyhead, yes just less "mess" are you put it ;-) But then, they liked seeing the mess when I was broadcasting on my cam <eg>

Poor JoTronic ... he seems to get stuck in every conversation. At least the joking side effects aren't something we have to worry about. HA. I think someone should post a pic of this infamous waitress. Not all of us trek to Canada for the procedure .. hehe

Seems though most of you have experienced no side effects though .. My luck I guess.

I think I am still too early in the game to judge any results at this point. Tommorrow I will be 13 weeks post-op and do have quite a bit of fuzz. However, I don't know if this is regrowth from shedding, shock loss, propecia, or the transplants. Regardless, I am happy to see some growth up there :-) If I can just get these ingrown hairs under control now. Sheeh, could they make this any harder? LOL

Yes Robert, I do agree ... less spunk is a small side effect and I will deal with it even if permanent ... Just hope the sharp shooter gets back on track at some point :-)

THANKS GUYS !!!!!

-Greggo

Greggo,

I wish you the best. It seems that you are around 5 weeks "in front" of me, so I (as well as everyone else) would always be interested in your progress!

-Robert

As forum moderator and a Patient Advocate for the Coalition I'm available to answer any questions.

To view animations and videos and learn about leading hair restoration physicians visit http://www.regrowhair.com/our_physicians.asp

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I'll keep the site posted bud. Can't wait to finally be able to post those b/4 and after pics :-) That's of the HT .. not the side effect. HA

Wish you best too guy!!! We're getting closer to the fun part of this everyday :-)

-Greggo

Merck's controlled clinical trials for Propecia on healthy men of 12 month duration resulted in a median decrease in ejaculate volume of 0.3 mL (-11%)was noted after 48 weeks of treatment. Two other studies by Merck showed that finasteride at five times the dosage (5 mg daily) produced significant median decreases of ejaculate of approximately 0.5 mL (-25%). So if anyone out there is utilizing Proscar (5 mg) daily and thinking the higher dosage has benefit for treating MPB, think again. Remember these statistics were the median so some of us may notice more advanced levels of side effects, some less. I myself "quarter" the Proscar pill and ingest one quater tablet daily with just as good results as Propecia. Merck further states that the men in the study who discontinued the drug noted the symptoms leave. They also state that most of those who continue on with Propecia see resolve with the side effects dissipating over time. I would like to see Merck include sperm count analysis in semen at varying time intervals which is obviously important data to any man planning to father children. The inhibition period for Propecia is generally 90 days so most of us may not see any visual benefit for three months. For those over 40 years of age, get a PSA test done "before" you start finasteride therapy and for those over forty already on finasteride be sure to mention this to your doctor when you are having a PSA as this can effect the test results. Good luck to all!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks Cas!!! Looks like I am one of the few unlucky ones :-(

-G

Greggo,

I apologize if my post rubbed you the wrong way. I sympathize with you and hopefully the side effects won't last forever. If they persist I think you should stop and try other forms of treatment. There is a lot of information on the site just do a search..

Cas

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

Thanks gillinator ... I take propecia .. so I'm not overdosing .... and at 44 .. pro-creating is the least of my worries ... thanks for the info ... I did contact my doc and she's leaving the decision up to me ... more hair .. more cum ... more hair .. more cum ... HA ... it's all good I guess. ;-)

Well this study certainly works for me, & the side effects indeed dissipate over time. Been on Proscar for almost 5 months now & I am not experiencing anything unusual anymore. My sex life's at its best! Greggo, you're 10 years older than me... is it true that sex continues to get better with age? It's certainly a lot better for me now than when I was in my 20s!

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

"It's certainly a lot better for me now than when I was in my 20s!"

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but if it gets too much better from here for me, I don't know if I will have the energy to leave the house!

-Robert

HW ... being a single man these days ... sex life isn't near what it used to be ... hmmmmm, maybe when the all the new hairs come in? :-)

-G

I experienced the most serious itching of my life when I started. Itching everywhere you can imagine-I toughed it out though and in a few months it went away. Someone joked that it shrunk their member-I know this sounds crazy but it seems like mine doesn't get as big as it used to. Like there isn't as much blood going to it. How can I word this...my once thick head doesn't seem to get as thick as it used to. Can anyone relate to this? And please no jokes here.