Should I start Propecia?

Brando

Hey guys,

I am 20 years old with a slight receding hairline and a thinning bald spot the size of a quarter on my crown. I know there are some side effects to Propecia, sexual side effects concern me the most being that i'm 20. I've also heard you shed a whole lot when you first start taking Propecia. Should I start it or could it accelerate my hair loss?

Hey guys,

I am 20 years old with a slight receding hairline and a thinning bald spot the size of a quarter on my crown. I know there are some side effects to Propecia, sexual side effects concern me the most being that i'm 20. I've also heard you shed a whole lot when you first start taking Propecia. Should I start it or could it accelerate my hair loss?

Brando...

dont forget, that these side effects are rare in most users...you may shed a bit as your growth cycle accelerates, but most dont..and it's pretty much unnoticeable if you do...

Get Proscar if you go this route..same things as propecia, just cheaper because the pill is 5 mg of the active ingredient instead of 1 mg in propecia..then just cut it into quarters with a pill cutter...

it has been shown to work in the majority of people taking it...at the very least, it will slow down your hair loss, and in many cases, it does allow dormant hair to grow....get on a good multivitamin as well (GNC Megaman is a pretty potent one) and some MSM (1500-3000 daily)...every little bit helps...

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

Hello-I am 26 and started Propecia 3 months ago. Oddly-I noticed my hairline receding in 98 right around the time that Propecia came on teh market. I guess I was in denile becuause I just now went on it. I wish I started it then-maybe I wouldn't have a thin hair line. I haven't really noticed a difference yet but it's still early. I'm just hoping ot stop further loss. I'm not even thinking about regrowing. The only side affect I experienced was serious itching. I mean SERIOUS itching the first month I was on Propecia. It was everywhere all the time-but I stuck it out and it did go away. I wanted to go on Proscar but my doc wouldn't give it to me.

Brando-

My results from propecia have only been positive. I wouldn't hesitate if I were you. I wish I would have started using it earlier. Best of luck.

Foxlox

I recommend asking your doc for a prescription for 2 weeks worth (14 tablets, should be about $20). In Merck's study about 3% of men had sexual side effects, but if in 14 days you dont have any, then you are good to go

KenEastCoast,

Explain to your doctor how it's the same drug. Have him look it up in his book if he doesn't believe you. Also, make sure to explain the economic differences between the two. That alone should convince him to give you a prescription for Proscar. If not, time to see another doctor.