Propecia - The Real Facts

Raphael84

Hey guys,

Well, Ive noticed that there seems to be quite a lot of posts at the moment (as always, Im sure), regarding the use of Propecia, Finasteride etc...

So, having personally used Propecia for three years myself, I can personally say that thus far, I have never felt any side-effects. Having said this, I also dont really believe that I have really achieved too many positive results, regarding prevention or thickening, but I suppose, regarding preventing any further hair loss, or at least slowing the hairloss rate down, I will never really know.

Okay, so after reading many posts regarding Propecia, I thought I would endulge in a little research. Now, whilst many of the following facts were made aware to me at some time throughout the past 3 years, its always good to be reminded and learn a little more.

Please, if anybody has any differing information, inform us.

Propecia was approved in 1998 along with the following information.

1mg taken daily

would prevent further hair loss in 80% of men

and could actually also assist in the regrowth and thickening in 40% of men

Obvioulsy very encouraging facts.

The possible side-effects include

1.8% of men a decrease in sexual desire

1.3% of men resulted in erectile disfunction

1.2% of men became aware of a decrease in ejaculated semen volume

Resulting in the fact that 36/945 men developed side-effects. (1.8%)

Whilst in most cases, these side-effects should end when Propecia is no longer consumed, cases of extensive problems are not unheard of.

2 other facts that I was interesting to read was that the taking of the propecia is advised with a full glass of water(8ounces), but I suppose that this is advised with most tablets. And also, rather suprisingly that it is possible to develop a tollerance to Propecia, therefore meaning it will no longer maintain results in those patients.

Also, please not that there are not any long-term studies(over perhaps decades) of the Propecia.

With these facts and more in mind, obviously the choice on whether to begin any course of propecia is a very personal one. As I have already mentioned, personally, I do take Propecia. I feel a lot for anybody who has developed any side effects.

But also one must ask themselves, that just like with many other drugs, there are risks and side effects, both short and long term. Right now, there are also many posts on this site regarding the use of steriods. In the last 12 months alone there has been many tragedies in the media regarding the use and abuse of steroids. Huge side-effects regarding smoking, other medicnes and hard drugs. Alcohol use and abuse also carries great possible risks to health, often with much higher possibility rates than mentioned through Propecia. Yet, surely in our past, we have all indulged in one or more of these variables.

So, the point of this post is to maybe highlight a few more of the facts regarding Propecia for us all to see and evaluate. And also learn more myself, so therefore if anybody holds any further information, or different for that matter, please post.

Regards.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I like to point out that I am certain I have recieved positive results from consistent usage of propecia. I notice if I do stop taking the medication I continue to loose hair..

Guess you cannot say that it is helping or it's not helping your hair loss situation until you stop taking the medication for sometime.

I'll stay on the safe side and continue with my routine!

I just want to point out, that when it comes to sexual side effects, most men will NOT report it. And if they did want to, who would they bring it to? A urologist? Is he going to report that to the FDA? Think about these things guys. They only tested less than a 1,000 people! That's a very very low number compare to the amount of men using Propecia. So let's just say it's 1,000,000 (I'd have to say it's way more than that). Take two percent of that. It's not so unlikely. Anyway, sorry about my rant. Just stuff to think about.

800+- Bosley NY, June 2005

1300+- Dr. Feller, December 2008

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1021

We should be on here to help and look out for each other, not to make someone feel worse about their situation.

Originally posted by Foundation:

I just want to point out, that when it comes to sexual side effects, most men will NOT report it. And if they did want to, who would they bring it to? A urologist? Is he going to report that to the FDA? Think about these things guys. They only tested less than a 1,000 people! That's a very very low number compare to the amount of men using Propecia. So let's just say it's 1,000,000 (I'd have to say it's way more than that). Take two percent of that. It's not so unlikely. Anyway, sorry about my rant. Just stuff to think about.

they usually use a chi squared test to determine the level of affects for the sample size. 1000 people is pretty good sample for a medical regiment to determine that sexual side effects only hurt a small amount.

That is how they usually justify their studies, but then I never really know.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget that the Propecia study was controlled such that one group used the drug and the other took a placebo. A certain number of the placebo group claimed to experience the side effects that have been attributed to Propecia like erectile dysfunction. It's also my understanding that for the group that used the drug, the incidence of side effects reported during the first year of usage diminished significantly when asked in years 2 to 4.

Formerly TooThin

As with any medication, one must weigh the pros and cons of taking the medication. What is important is that the person taking the medication is well informed of the possible side effects they may encounter. I always discuss the potential sexual side effects with patients that I am going to put on finasteride.

It must be noted that if one stops the medication, the side effects are usually transient. I have had a patient who thought the side effects lasted for a while after stopping the medication.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been taking Propecia since it's approval in the late 90's.. It stopped my loss and regrew a little..

No doubt it has been the foundation for my hairloss program including my 3 HT's..

No side effects except the stoppage of hairloss!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!