Post Procedure Care?

charlieb

Just had 1500 grafts to the crown area. My question is am I suppose to keep this area moist with a spray of somesort? my doctor didnt give me anything.

Also I have dried blood etc in my hair and have not washed it yet due to its placement near the grafts...when is a safe time to wash this.

Thanks

Just had 1500 grafts to the crown area. My question is am I suppose to keep this area moist with a spray of somesort? my doctor didnt give me anything.

Also I have dried blood etc in my hair and have not washed it yet due to its placement near the grafts...when is a safe time to wash this.

Thanks

Charlie..

you should have really gotten this information from your doctor before you went home. Who did your surgery??

A number of surgeons recommend Grafcyte, it's a wound healing spray...pretty pricey though..if you dont have any, pick up some steamed distilled water and spray that on your hair to keep your scalp moist and free of infection...

if you cant get this info from your surgeon,`then dont rub your grafts for 3-4 days...i believe my doctor advised me not to even get the scalp wet for 48 hours..then to just gently pour warm water over it in the shower..after 4 days or so, you can GENTLY rub your scalp softly, to loosen some of the scabs off...they will eventually dry up and fall off on their own..keeping the scalp moist helps stop the itching from the skin drying and flaking off..

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

Go to walmart and buy a tiny spray bottle. I stayed at home post-op and just kept a towel hung around my neck. I used the bottle to spray my recipient area and keep it moist. He gave me a bottle of something to help with the itching. I would just spray the water onto my head and let it run down, and that helped out a LOT on the itching (so much so that I never bothered even using the stuff for itching).

Rugger was right....your doctor should have given you some type of post-op instructions. I remember that showers were a no-no for at least 4 days after surgery (if not a week, but I cant recall the exact time frame). I should clarify...it was the direct stream of water that you should avoid, not the shower itself.

As far as washing goes, I just filled the tub with lukewarm water and poured some baby shampoo in there. I swished my head in the tub to help wash the area without actually touching the scalp. It worked very well for me.

NC30

Yes I soaked my head in the tub twice a day for 20 minutes minimum at least for the first week. By then most of the scabs came off naturally without rubbing them. I also didn't have any itching or dry flaky scalp some here have mentioned.

I used a mild shampoo as well and so far it has worked well for me. Day 14 and most of the hairs are still intact. I'd say roughly 65-75% of them remain.

Good luck

Is it 6 months yet??

Chap, You're the fella that went with Dr. Molton In W.A right???....

My question to you is how come you didn't go with Jennifer Martinick as she is in W.A as well??

I heard that hair transplants are only part of Dr Moltons practice as he also does other cosmetic work...

To be honest with you I think you could have done with a better doctor... And in regards to the left over grafts...

Did he throw them out or were they transplanted elsewhere??

Parable,

To answer your question I went to Dr Molton because he charged much less than Dr Martinick...I saw him three years ago and only decided to go with him after alot of research and speaking to Dr Martinik as well. I know Dr Jennifer would of been an ideal choice but she charged over 5000$ more which i guess is too high for me.

I trusted Dr Molton to do a good job and from what I can see he is highly skilled yet lacks abit of patience...he does do other surgery but hair is his specialty.

From what I can see the grafts he implanted are okay..but I feel i was rushed abit at the end.

and as for the left over grafts there was only about 5 clumps left...

I do feel that I could of asked more questions and been more assertive in getting my answers.

I will have to wait to see if I made a right choice, which I feel I did yet it could off been a little better. Its too late to have regrets now....

If I had a camera I would post a pic but unfortunately not.

I'd have to agree....5 clumps may have contained a couple hundred grafts...!!

However it's good to see you done your research though, but if I were you I'd call Doctor Molton up and inquire about those wasted grafts...

Grafts are too precious too waste!!

~pArAbLE~

• 3 years later...

Guys,

Im back , 2007 to give you an update on Michael Molton, 5 years wiser and i have to say DONT GO TO HIM.....i was abit niave and desperate 4 years ago...as i did go to Jennifer Martinick and she said i was abit young to get grafts done and didnt want to do my crown area...so Michael Molton it was...I dont exactly regret but in a way I do as his work wasnt the best and it is very light in density...but although it wasnt the best it has got me through for the past 4 years...I am due for a op with Jennifer Martinick begining off nov this year and just speaking with her i can tell she is so much more passionate abt her work and much more skilled and refined than Michael...I would go so far as to say Michael Molton really is a semi butcher...I feel very let down by him but am grateful I have come thru wat was a silly mistake....1. for the money i paid him 8k i dont think i got the denisty or the coverage and what really is the one that killed me is that i did not get any concern follow up on myself after the HT...in fact I havent heard from MM since the HT 4 years ago, its like wham bam thanks for your money....he seemed like he was in a rush to attecnd his christmas dinner or something....I will never go to him again and I just thank god there is a doctor like Jennifer around in Perth....I am looking forward to my HT with her alot...

charlie,

Wow...3 years and 3 months later and you are back.

Firstly, welcome BACK to our community. It appears that your last post was before I was even a member here.

Secondly...I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with Dr. Michael Molton. I can't say I've ever heard of him.

Dr. Jennifer Martinick is one of our recommended hair restoration physicians. From what I've seen, she does quality work.

I hope you'll share your experience with us afterwards by posting details of the surgery and pictures.

I encourage you also to consider creating a hair loss weblog

Bill