How many of you have any side effects from taking Propecia or Rogain?

Mikey79

Like many others I had a massive shed on the Rogaine foam, it actually caused an area of hair-bearing scalp to become completely bald - it's coming back now though.

Proscar. My libido has decreased somewhat, but that hasn't effected me much - just calmed me down , lol.

No side effect here either. And for most of those who had, it is most likely in their head.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Originally posted by latinlotus:

No side effect here either. And for most of those who had, it is most likely in their head.

Yeah, I should add that I can't be 100% sure the libido is down to the Proscar, however, it is one side effect of proscar that has be observed in many clinical trials including those where the patients were in blind trials and didn't know what they were taking or for what purpose.

As for the Rogaine foam, that definitely cause a massive shed with me, which I have never had with the solution and have not had since going back on the solution.

OK, so rogain causes shedding, what about potency? any sexual problems??

What is the most effective product with the less significant side effects? The reason why I am asking is this: If I ever want to make sure that my original hair stays the same what product is ok to use. The last thing I want is to have potency problems.

Rogaine does not cause shedding in every case, but shedding is seen as a good sign. The problem I had with the foam was that the amount shedded was unacceptable. There was an area with hair which went completely bald, but as stated has returned since.

I have only ever used 5% rogaine and as far I am aware, minoxidil has no effect on "sexual" issues.

Proscar does come with the possibilty of "sexual" side effects, however, they are rare and in most cases short-lived (even with continued use).

There are very few (if any) medications in the world that come with no chances of side effects, hairloss meds included.

Both Proscar and Rogaine are usually very well tolerated and any side effects diminish if you stop taking them.

Sadly, the only way to see how you will react is to try.

Mikey-

I get my Rogaine Foam 5% at Costco for around $50 which is a four month suppy. You can get it at any grocery store, pharmacy, or discount store like Walmart or Target for around $60.

In terms of Propecia or Proscar, like Maxxy, my libido decreased a little. But that could be due to getting older or having issues in the relationship with the girlfriend.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Libido = Sex drive M8

P.S. I'm not sure if you understand this or not Mikey, but Minoxidil is Rogaine. Minoxidil is the active ingredient, by that I mean it's the Minoxidil in Rogaine that grows hair.

The raging erection of my youth has somewhat given way to a pretty adequate semi, but it might be more the result of:

a. Being 42, and

b. married to the same woman for 18 years....

I'm fairly certain that with a little 'strange', I would revert to my former self.....finasteride be damned. But, it is not to be as I'm only programmed to think that sort of stuff, not act upon it.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Originally posted by Maxxy:

Libido = Sex drive M8

P.S. I'm not sure if you understand this or not Mikey, but Minoxidil is Rogaine. Minoxidil is the active ingredient, by that I mean it's the Minoxidil in Rogaine that grows hair.

Yes I knew that, I just thought you can get Minoxidil it self.

Originally posted by starman:

Eman, you must mean the foam, the liquid form of 5% minoxidil for 4mos is about $17.00 at the Costco I go to & about $50.00 for the foam.

Mikey79 how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

I am 29. My english is not very good, 'cause it's my second language.

Mikey79,

You can get Minoxidil in tablet form. I believe that is how it was found to effect hair growth (as a side effect), however, the results in tablet form again - "I believe" are very poor when it comes to hairloss and bring with them more common side effects.

As a topical (applied to the scalp) - where it is believed to work best for hair loss, it needs some form of delivery... be it by solution, cream or foam (as now available).

No Mikey79, Proscar and Propecia are both brand names of Merck - the active ingredient in both is Finasteride. Proscar has 5mg of Finasteride in it, while Propecia only has 1 mg.

They are the same drug, just different amounts.