Donor Area - Shock Loss or Overharvesting?

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I’m a 37 year old male who had an DHI procedure done by Dr. Turan on May 2 and May 3. They extracted and implanted 3770 follicles from the back of my head and sides, to my hairline and crown. I realize it’s incredibly early in my recovery, but it’s still new to me and was wondering if this big bald patch on the back of my head is more indicative of shock loss, or the dreadful overharvesting. Since all the scabs fell off I am no longer sleeping with a neck pillow.

Any input would be much appreciated!

IMG_0839.jpeg

Edited by Goblue1113

• Valued Contributor

Would help to see the donor area (back and sides) immediately post op so that we can see the total area of extraction. Usually that will be the key indicator of whether it's shock loss or overharvesting.

Yeah, I don’t have those photos yet because it’s too soon. However, I do have a photo from a couple of days ago and I have hairs that I didn’t have in this, so I’m thinking it’s shock loss. 

IMG_0711.jpeg

• Like 1

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, h_kovacs said:

It doesn't look like it 

Can you post pics once the scabs have fallen?

Hi, thanks for responding. All the scabs have actually fallen out already and I’m still waiting on the pics from Fuecapilar. I believe they won’t arrive until 1-2 months after the operation, so early to mid June.

4 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Thanks! I just watched and this was super helpful. It’s clear that mine is simply shock loss. In fact, I slept with the neck pillow last night, and found that the bald spot had noticeably shrunk by this morning. Perhaps the oral minoxidil I’m now on is helping to speed things along.

I will make a full post in the reviews once I reach 6 months, then follow it up with a 12 month and 18 month post.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It could be shock loss. I’m thinking the area is probably rubbing against the pillow when you sleep and pulling the hairs out all in one or two nights that normally would have taken a week or two to shed.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

56 minutes ago, Al - Moderator said:

It could be shock loss. I’m thinking the area is probably rubbing against the pillow when you sleep and pulling the hairs out all in one or two nights that normally would have taken a week or two to shed.

Yeah, that’s what the doc thinks. Though it does feel extremely dry. He has me using Dermovate on the affected areas.

So I’ve been taking the Dermovate as directed (Technically Psoderm - the liquid form). 5 Days on, two days off. I’m now onto my second phase of 5 days. Unfortunately the shock loss has only worsened. I was mentally prepared for this in the recipient areas, but not the donor area to this extent. I’m hoping anyone has any advice or words of encouragement because I’m honestly starting to regret I had the whole thing done. 

IMG_1060.jpeg

• Moderators

The only thing you can do is wait it out. I know it's tough to do, but the time will go by. It can take several months for it to grow back.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.