Disney trip before transplant- bad idea?

Well I’m going back for another shot at it- I’ll go for my 2nd transplant in mid-July.  It will be a large 2-day procedure.

But i also promised my kids we’d finally do Disney World this summer vacation.

It’ll be 5 hot sweaty long tiring days of walking miles in the Florida heat wearing a sweaty hat, maybe some chlorine from the pool.

i feel like trying to get in at end of August seems crazy, just a little over a month after surgery.

But the other option is going two weeks before surgery, leaving about a week between returning from Florida and first day of surgery.

How bad of an idea is this?

Either way, keep your head out of the sun.

• Like 1

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000 grafts, Summer 2023

Oh yeah- for sure full hat coverage the whole time!

Just wondering how bad lots of exercise in heat and lots of sweating can be.

I’m fully healthy and in good shape, the trip won’t be hard on me otherwise, just purely for hair.

Family first. Going there 2 weeks before your transplant shouldn't cause any issues.

Maybe just take precautions about not getting your scalp burned and that's about it. Enjoy.

Which surgeon are you going to ?

• Moderators

As long as you don't get sunburn on your head then it shouldn't matter which one you choose. You are fine a month after the HT to exercise as much as you want, so no worries about how sweaty or hot you will get. If you vacation a week before the HT that is fine as well, again, as long as you make sure not to get much sunburn on your scalp.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Ooh but i realize I’m using some beard hair for donor too— it’s always hard to get sunscreen under a beard.  Now I’m wondering.

Would it make more sense to go 2 weeks before or 5 weeks after surgery?

14 hours ago, Hair-here said:

Well I’m going back for another shot at it- I’ll go for my 2nd transplant in mid-July.  It will be a large 2-day procedure.

But i also promised my kids we’d finally do Disney World this summer vacation.

It’ll be 5 hot sweaty long tiring days of walking miles in the Florida heat wearing a sweaty hat, maybe some chlorine from the pool.

i feel like trying to get in at end of August seems crazy, just a little over a month after surgery.

But the other option is going two weeks before surgery, leaving about a week between returning from Florida and first day of surgery.

How bad of an idea is this?

Several thoughts come to mind.  First, you've already done this so you have a decent idea what to expect.  Obviously this will be far more involved as you'll be doing a 2 day procedure.  Is that because you're doing FUT and FUE?  Or just FUE?  What numbers are you doing? If FUE, you can typically return to normalcy after 7 days.  Sunscreen and a cap and you should be fine.  The issue here is the mental aspect of this.  Somewhere in the back of your mind you'll be thinking, "Can I be this active after just having surgery days ago?"  Sweat is OK,  It's exertion we're trying to avoid.  The little blood that sips through when the doctor makes the sites acts like glue and keeps the graft in place.  If you apply force, you'll push the grafts out.  The first three days are crucial.  

I love trips.  Do the procedure, go away.  By the time you return no one will know you had anything done.  But, is waiting a couple of months..a big deal?

I'd be one to go on vacation and have a great time with your kids. Play hard!  Do your transplants when you return.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.