Possible DUPA although DONOR has stayed the same for years? Looking to get it microscopically assessed before hair transplant

Posted (edited)

Hello,

Background

I am a 27 year old (28 in 2 months) white/hispanic male. There is advanced baldness (Norwood 6-7+) in distant relatives but my immediate brothers, uncles, father, and maternal grandfather had full heads of hair or did not experience baldness until old age.

For almost a decade, I had severe seborrheic dermatitis, which I strongly believe resulted in the majority of the hair loss I experienced in the sides and back of head. I have succeeded in clearing up 90% of it in the back, and about 80-85% in the sides (with only minor flaking). However, the hair loss in the donor never recovered.

My hair loss has been stable in the sides and back for several years now. The top of my head is slowly thinning. The crown has been stable, the midscalp is losing hair the fastest but is relatively slow, and my hairline is only very slowly receding after I initially lost my temple areas several years ago.

Medications

I have not taken finasteride or minoxidil. Minoxidil would worsen my seborrheic dermatitis so I cannot.

I am prone to sexual side effects even without finasteride, so I have elected to not take it.

Goals

I would like to have an IN-PERSON consultation so my donor can be microscopically assessed and see how many healthy grafts I have available for transplantion to have a successful surgery without finasteride/minoxidil medication. 

I have a modest lifetime goal of 1800 grafts in a single transplant, some for my hairline and some for the temple points.

I am aware that I may continue to lose the hair behind it in the coming years without medication, and that I have less donor capacity than the average person.

But I am also seeking much fewer lifetime grafts to compensate.

My goal is simple: restore the hairline and use a hair replacement (hairpiece/hair system) behind it when the time comes. This is because the hairline is the hardest part to get right with a hairpiece. And that is why I wanted one modest hair transplant to take care of that.

My goal is different than most who seek transplants as I am only interested in restoring the hairline and temple points once and not get any further transplants later for lost hair in the midscalp or crown.

I also don't mind further reduction in density  in the back or sides as a result of FUE transplant

Please tell me what you think of my situation.

Keep in mind, my donor has looked the same for years, and my thinning in the donor began at 18 before I even started losing hair in my hairline (at the same time I developed seborrheic dermatitis).

Pictures of Scalp

Here are pictures in various lighting. The yellow light is a standard lamp in my room with natural light from the window as well.

I cut my own hair, so the sides are cut very short with electric clippers with a 16mm guard (.62 inch). 

The back is cut to a 9mm guard (.35 inch).

IMG_5182.jpg

IMG_5183.jpg

IMG_5422.jpg

IMG_5423.jpg

The pictures that have white light is very strong light that leaves a harsh contrast.

IMG_5186.jpg

IMG_5188.jpg

Edited by DUPAman

• Administrators

Can you upload these pictures directly to the site. The links are broken.  I'm not sure if you tried to copy and paste from somewhere else, but that doesn't work.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

Your donor does look very thin. Have you seen a doctor in person?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Your donor does look very thin. Have you seen a doctor in person?

I've been to a hair transplant surgeon last year, but I do not respect his opinion because he all he did was walk in the room for about one minute and look at the streaks of missing hair and conclude "DUPA". He did not bother to use a tricoscope or any device to assess my donor. I think he was one of the guys who doesn't believe seborrheic dermatitis can cause diffuse hair loss. By the way this was the son of Dr. Bernard Nausbaum in Miami who is also a transplant surgeon.

I live in Miami, so I emailed Dr. Jeffrey Epstein and from these pictures, he said my donor did look thin, but that I would have 5000 grafts. He said he doesn't perform microscopic assessment of donor but offered to use his magnifier loupes. This was this morning. I'm not sure if I should consult with him.

Are magnifier loupes a good measure for donor assessment?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, DUPAman said:

I've been to a hair transplant surgeon last year, but I do not respect his opinion because he all he did was walk in the room for about one minute and look at the streaks of missing hair and conclude "DUPA". He did not bother to use a tricoscope or any device to assess my donor. I think he was one of the guys who doesn't believe seborrheic dermatitis can cause diffuse hair loss. By the way this was the son of Dr. Bernard Nausbaum in Miami who is also a transplant surgeon.

I live in Miami, so I emailed Dr. Jeffrey Epstein and from these pictures, he said my donor did look thin, but that I would have 5000 grafts. He said he doesn't perform microscopic assessment of donor but offered to use his magnifier loupes. This was this morning. I'm not sure if I should consult with him.

Are magnifier loupes a good measure for donor assessment?

They do show miniaturization. There’s another doctor. Dr. Moncada, he does consultations in Miami.

View my thread

Have you talked to Dr. Glenn Charles in Boca Raton?…he is very good and ethical and trained with Dr. Ron Shapiro in MPLS.

It's very encouraging to see that you have done lots of research and that you understand your limitations…you have adjusted your goals and expectations accordingly…also, it looks like you have some beard donor available…is that a possibility to consider?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY