Oral finesteride maintenance

What would be a low maintenance oral finsteride that I could take, would 0.4mg 3 times a week be enough? I’ve already lost most of my hair on top so I don’t think there is a need for 1mg a day? I also had side affects on that dose and switched to topical however I’m sick of applying it and want to try oral again. 
pic is 14months post HT 

IMG_9357.thumb.jpeg.3a371b3f92f0a3ab96777dbe44a77c3a.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s generally just trial and error. I tried 1mg/day and got minor sides, stopped for a few weeks and tried 0.5mg/day still the same, then 0.5mg/eod with sides again. I again stopped for a few weeks then tried 0.25mg/eod about 3 months ago with No sides, I have just increased it to 0.25mg 5 days a week and as long as I stay free from sides I will remain on this dose. Everybody’s different and it’s sometimes just finding the right dose for you, but some is better than none.

• Like 1
  • Well Done 1

• Valued Contributor
12 minutes ago, WhiteyUK said:

It’s generally just trial and error. I tried 1mg/day and got minor sides, stopped for a few weeks and tried 0.5mg/day still the same, then 0.5mg/eod with sides again. I again stopped for a few weeks then tried 0.25mg/eod about 3 months ago with No sides, I have just increased it to 0.25mg 5 days a week and as long as I stay free from sides I will remain on this dose. Everybody’s different and it’s sometimes just finding the right dose for you, but some is better than none.

If dose is not giving you side effects then I would not risk increasing it. It’s still a very effective dose to block DHT. Well done. 👌

• Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor
5 hours ago, Jamos1982 said:

What would be a low maintenance oral finsteride that I could take, would 0.4mg 3 times a week be enough? I’ve already lost most of my hair on top so I don’t think there is a need for 1mg a day? I also had side affects on that dose and switched to topical however I’m sick of applying it and want to try oral again. 
pic is 14months post HT 

IMG_9357.thumb.jpeg.3a371b3f92f0a3ab96777dbe44a77c3a.jpeg

Great result @Jamos1982 by the way. 👌

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WhiteyUK said:

Yeah that actually makes sense. I gave up pretty quick last time I never really tried a lower dose but for sure I’m gonna give it a go till I have no sides a low dose is obviously better then none at all.

thank you 

1 hour ago, WhiteyUK said:

Has it stopped your hair loss and given you and re growth? 

11 hours ago, WhiteyUK said:

I wouldn’t say I’ve had re growth, but I seem to be maintaining my hair. I’m 49 years old now so maintaining will do me for now.

Yeah I’m only looking to maintain and keep what I have. I have full coverage now so I think a super low dose shall be enough 

19 hours ago, Gatsby said:

If dose is not giving you side effects then I would not risk increasing it. It’s still a very effective dose to block DHT. Well done. 👌

Gatsby have you given sublingual minoxidil a try? I heard it’s superior to oral as it gets straight into your blood stream as opposed to going thur the liver 

Big fan of sublingual minoxidil. I currently take 2.7mg each day.

It is a bit more expensive than loniten but some say it's slightly superior than oral and for me the results have been good so I won't stop it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viney said:

Big fan of sublingual minoxidil. I currently take 2.7mg each day.

It is a bit more expensive than loniten but some say it's slightly superior than oral and for me the results have been good so I won't stop it.

I’ve been on oral 2.5mg for 10weeks now with no sides do you think sublingual it worth changing too considering it’s more maintenance for me and trying to thicken my hair as much as possible. Also what’s it cost? I’m also in aus 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jamos1982 said:

I’ve been on oral 2.5mg for 10weeks now with no sides do you think sublingual it worth changing too considering it’s more maintenance for me and trying to thicken my hair as much as possible. Also what’s it cost? I’m also in aus 

I wouldn't bother changing in that case. It's a bit annoying to get via a specific compound pharmacy located in Melbourne. If you experience any issues with oral min, or for some reason can't swallow tablets maybe then consider switching.

Cost has recently gone up I think it's just over $1 per pill (daily)... maybe $1.20 each if I recall correctly.

Edited by Viney

6 minutes ago, Viney said:

I wouldn't bother changing in that case. It's a bit annoying to get via a specific compound pharmacy located in Melbourne. If you experience any issues with oral min, or for some reason can't swallow tablets maybe then consider switching.

Cost has recently gone up I think it's just over $1 per pill (daily)... maybe $1.20 each if I recall correctly.

Thanks for that. Maybe I’ll just stick with the oral version for a little longer then 👍

19 hours ago, WhiteyUK said:

I wouldn’t say I’ve had re growth, but I seem to be maintaining my hair. I’m 49 years old now so maintaining will do me for now.

fair play brother, well done 👏🏻

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2024 at 9:34 PM, Big Rome said:

what the hell is sublingual minoxidil lol?? 

I (and others) have done a lot of posts on the forum about it already haha. The information is out there if you use the search function here or elsewhere.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
On 4/22/2024 at 4:02 PM, Jamos1982 said:

Loniten 5mg oral minoxidil is $30 for a 200 day supply. That’s cheap! 

6 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Loniten 5mg oral minoxidil is $30 for a 200 day supply. That’s cheap! 

Wow yeah that is cheap! I got a 3 month supply in Thailand when I was there but I’ll run out soon. I’ll have to find a dermatologist in Sydney that Can subscribe it , 

• Valued Contributor
5 minutes ago, Jamos1982 said:

Wow yeah that is cheap! I got a 3 month supply in Thailand when I was there but I’ll run out soon. I’ll have to find a dermatologist in Sydney that Can subscribe it , 

Loniten comes in 100 tablets of 10mg. I just break the tablet in half. 

2 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Loniten comes in 100 tablets of 10mg. I just break the tablet in half. 

I’m only on 2.5mg a day. No sides after 12 weeks. Not sure to go up to 5mg 

2 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Be guided by your dermatologist on the dose. 5mg is maximum. I didn’t start on this dose. 

How soon did you see results on it? I think my hair is thicker but I don’t have extra body hair.