Should I Take Minoxidil? I'm 4 Months Post-op

Hi guys.. I'm 4 months post-op now and my doc suggested at the time of the surgery minoxidil to help the growth further. I have never it used due to potential sexual side effects but I'm having 2nd thoughts about that decision. I'm now thinking about taking it.. 2 questions:

1) I've got about 2 inches of hair growth so far. Will I experience any hair shedding? I dread that.

2) Has anyone who has used it had any sexual side effects?

Posted (edited)

I think you're getting Minoxidil confused with Finasteride.

Finasteride is the one that gives you sexual side effects.  Minoxidil is the one that can give you heart problems.

I don't use Minox, but there are a lot of differing opinions on Minox on this site.  However, your hair will continue to grow with or without the use of Minox. 

I assume your doc is saying that your hair will grow faster during this recovery period by using it?

You're not supposed to use it shortly after surgery, but can start using it 1+ month afterward I believe.  I'll leave it to the veteran Minox users on this site to advise you on how to take it.  But if you're concerned about the side effects, then maybe don't take it.  I think a large chunk of HT patients on this forum do not use it at all.

Edited by Bucky O Hair

It’s the “initial” use of minoxidil and/or finasteride that can potentially induce shedding so I am of the opinion that it’s best to wait for the regrowth to take place before starting the drug for the first time.

Having said that, it’s okay to “resume” using minoxidil approximately 4 weeks post-op for those individuals who have been using it prior to surgery.

Lastly, I never have heard of anyone experiencing sexual side effects from using minoxidil.

Gillenator

On 4/4/2024 at 2:07 PM, BackFromTheBrink said:

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

20 hours ago, gillenator said:

It’s the “initial” use of minoxidil and/or finasteride that can potentially induce shedding so I am of the opinion that it’s best to wait for the regrowth to take place before starting the drug for the first time

So in my case since its been now 4 months post op, if I take min will I experience shedding? I dont want to destroy 4 months of hair growth progress just to shed and start regrowth all over again.

• Valued Contributor
Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 3:39 AM, wprevil said:

Hi guys.. I'm 4 months post-op now and my doc suggested at the time of the surgery minoxidil to help the growth further. I have never it used due to potential sexual side effects but I'm having 2nd thoughts about that decision. I'm now thinking about taking it.. 2 questions:

1) I've got about 2 inches of hair growth so far. Will I experience any hair shedding? I dread that.

2) Has anyone who has used it had any sexual side effects?

In response to question two. Minoxidil no. Finasteride yes. 

Edited by Gatsby

2 hours ago, wprevil said:

So in my case since its been now 4 months post op, if I take min will I experience shedding? I dont want to destroy 4 months of hair growth progress just to shed and start regrowth all over again.

The shedding does not happen to everyone however it’s the “initial” use that increases the risk of post-op shedding…based on your first post, you are well ahead with your growth since the surgery so IMHO, you do not need anything to facilitate your regrowth…your body is already doing an excellent job and all you need to do is watch it grow!…remember this, “If it’s not broke, don’t fix it!”

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, gillenator said:

The shedding does not happen to everyone however it’s the “initial” use that increases the risk of post-op shedding…based on your first post, you are well ahead with your growth since the surgery so IMHO, you do not need anything to facilitate your regrowth…your body is already doing an excellent job and all you need to do is watch it grow!…remember this, “If it’s not broke, don’t fix it!”

This ^ I think it's better to know what results you got from the hair transplant. Then you can add minoxidil as an outside variable. Finasteride though, I think if you (or anyone) can take it, should take it. To get a baseline of hair loss before surgery. All the best.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 8:07 PM, Gatsby said:

In response to question two. Minoxidil no. Finasteride yes. 

I cant take fin because my current state of health cannot afford its risks.

On 4/6/2024 at 10:45 PM, gillenator said:

your body is already doing an excellent job and all you need to do is watch it grow!…remember this, “If it’s not broke, don’t fix it!”

Rings very true. Appreciate this insight.

Fyi to you and others here, the growth after 4 months postop looks remarkably good I admit. So I guess no min for me! But I will return to see Couto to get the remaining 1000 grafts. After that, I'll be freeeeee