Hairline FUT VS FUE

Hi all,

I have been looking into FUT vs FUE for my second surgery on my hairline and wanted to get more experienced members input. I have gone to consultations with different doctors and one recommended fut over fue more over potential yield growth. While this could be biased, the other doctor said it wouldn't matter with either method.

If I go with FUT, wouldn't it have the disadvantage of not being able to chose singles doubles triples? I figured I would be stuck with whatever comes from the strip unless there is a way to split doubles into singles. What should i request when strategizing the placement of different hairs. I only have a recession

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, chrisu said:

Hi all,

I have been looking into FUT vs FUE for my second surgery on my hairline and wanted to get more experienced members input. I have gone to consultations with different doctors and one recommended fut over fue more over potential yield growth. While this could be biased, the other doctor said it wouldn't matter with either method.

If I go with FUT, wouldn't it have the disadvantage of not being able to chose singles doubles triples? I figured I would be stuck with whatever comes from the strip unless there is a way to split doubles into singles. What should i request when strategizing the placement of different hairs. I only have a recession

Thanks!

If you need a small amount of grafts something like 1500 grafts there is no point proceeding with fut. Its better to proceed with fue for a small amount of grafts. Splitting grafts to create more singles is usually the case with fut but again this is mostly a procedure when a large amount of grafts is needed.

• Valued Contributor
22 minutes ago, chrisu said:

I have been looking into FUT vs FUE for my second surgery on my hairline

@chrisu I would definitely say FUE. The reason being that for the hairline FUE is able to cherry pick grafts from areas of the scalp to best mimic the natural quality of hair in the hairline. The doesn't require a strip in the sweet spot. All the best.

• Like 1

I agree…the FUE surgeon can cherry pick softer texture or finer caliber grafts especially when establishing a new hairline.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

1 hour ago, chrisu said:

thanks all — so ideally how many grafts would it be best to save for FUT? What about transection though?

Above 3000 grafts but it really depends on your situation and your future needs. If you dont mind having a scar on the back of your head and you have as absolutely priority to save more grafts for future use then fut is the way to go. But once again for a small procedure with 1500 grafts for the hairline its always better to go with fue. Transection rate it depends from the clinic you choose, if you choose a good doctor the transection rate both with fue or fut is preety low nowadays.

56 minutes ago, jjalay said:

Above 3000 grafts but it really depends on your situation and your future needs. If you dont mind having a scar on the back of your head and you have as absolutely priority to save more grafts for future use then fut is the way to go. But once again for a small procedure with 1500 grafts for the hairline its always better to go with fue. Transection rate it depends from the clinic you choose, if you choose a good doctor the transection rate both with fue or fut is preety low nowadays.

Thanks @jjalay I already have a scar from my first procedure where I received close to 2k grafts. I don't know if its better to save the second strip for a future procedure if i ever need one for my crown. Part of me is concerned because I feel 1600 is too small but at the same time i experienced lower yield growth. I had it done at a reputable doctor so that isn't the issue

41 minutes ago, chrisu said:

Thanks @jjalay I already have a scar from my first procedure where I received close to 2k grafts. I don't know if its better to save the second strip for a future procedure if i ever need one for my crown. Part of me is concerned because I feel 1600 is too small but at the same time i experienced lower yield growth. I had it done at a reputable doctor so that isn't the issue

If you already had an fut procedure imo its better to proceed with a second fut. You should talk with your doctor about these two options too.