M20, had a transplant at 19, 8 months post op and the hair is still a weird curly kinky texture unlike my usual hair

I went to Merchant City Medical Group in Glasgow because it was local and to be honest I just didn't think I'd be unlucky enough to be done dirty. Should've put in more work and gone further I know... £3900, 2600 grafts

So I've always had a very high hairline which has been commented on a few times throughout my childhood, never did bother me until further into teen years and especially now when its not a good look anymore. Haven't noticed any receding, been on minoxidil 8 months since the HT and fin for 3 now, oral tablets from Hims.

When measuring with fingers, its 8 fingers from my eyebrows to my original hairline (where it peaks), 4 to the new hairline (a hairline which I'm very happy with). New distance from new to old hairline is about 1½ fingers in the center. Cool measurement system I know

The density is awful but whatever I'll get another HT. I'm more concerned right now with why the texture is so bad. My hair is naturally very fine and straight, type a1 with no wave or volume until I start using product. The transplanted hair is curling, feels weird/bitty when running my fingers along it, and sticks directly out of my head which my original hair on top is being pushed outward by, I've had to just shave the transplanted hair for the time being. I really hope it's gonna return to normal because right now its unworkable...

r/HairTransplants - 7 months after going local UK, thinking it's botched...

Going to have a consultation with Dr Farjo next month (after recommendation from Dr William Rassman who I had a personal zoom chat with), I'm worried he's gonna charge a crazy price like £7k-£9k which is gonna take a couple years to pay off in installments which I'd hope is an option. Huge worry is if it's still imperfect and I'm in debt over it.

I'm young for a transplant but I don't want to live disliking going or being outside, wearing a cap if not indoors, feeling anxious and insecure ruining my mood and attitude, seeing friends less as a result, for literally any longer. So please don't advise me against a HT or waiting years.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, head said:

The transplanted hair is curling, feels weird/bitty when running my fingers along it, and sticks directly out of my head which my original hair on top is being pushed outward by, I've had to just shave the transplanted hair for the time being. I really hope it's gonna return to normal because right now its unworkable...

I am 100% certain this is badly angled hair. Unfortunately it will not get better, it is permanent. 

You should laser/electrolysis the bad hair off and start over again. It is the simplest option and ultimately the less stressful and less costly route. 

The alternative is to extract the bad hair and then reimplant it elsewhere. This will be 2 surgeries minimum, and could likely be more depending on how much bad hair you have and any other complications. 

10 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

You should laser/electrolysis the bad hair off and start over again.

Even if the angle is bad I could probably work with it so long as the texture returns to normal, that's the part that worries me and I really can't find info on it. Even the clinic doesn't seem to have an explanation for this that seems intelligent or knowledgeable. Why is it curling and bitty if that's not what my hair is like?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, head said:

Even if the angle is bad I could probably work with it so long as the texture returns to normal, that's the part that worries me and I really can't find info on it.

Why is it curling and bitty if that's not what my hair is like?

it is badly angled hair. It will not return to normal unfortunately. 

the clinic doesn't seem to have an explanation for this that seems intelligent or knowledgeable.

the clinic 100% knows they messed up, but they never ever EVER will admit to it.

It is in a clinic's best interest to never admit they botched a surgery. Sadly, they have no reason to tell you the truth.

I understand if this is all hard to take in, but the sooner you can accept the reality of your result, the better your repair journey will go. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

9 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

it is badly angled hair. It will not return to normal unfortunately. 

The clinic is saying to wait til month 14 and that it'll return to normal. If it doesn't I plan to demand a refund (starting to look likely). I'll bring this up to the Farjo clinic though, if completely removing the last transplant is really a potentially good idea.

You're just saying 'badly angled hair' though to explain the curly pube-like nature of the new hair, how does that create that effect? Surely it's a separate issue?

4 hours ago, head said:

The clinic is saying to wait til month 14 and that it'll return to normal.

It won't. Clinics hope to delay delay delay in the hope that you will just go away.

4 hours ago, head said:

if completely removing the last transplant is really a potentially good idea.

Can you please provide more pictures? It is hard to judge with just one

As of now I cant speak to whether removing the hair is a good idea or not, but i can tell you that the only solutions for this are:

1) extract then reimplant the bad hair elsewhere

2) laser/electrolysis

3) bandaid solutions like using gel to mold the hair into proper shape. Or growing your hair longer. Longer hair can really help with bad angles

4 hours ago, head said:

You're just saying 'badly angled hair' though to explain the curly pube-like nature of the new hair, how does that create that effect? Surely it's a separate issue?

The surgeon inserted the hair at an incorrect angle, that is why it looks odd

When you say separate issue, i am unsure what you mean

As of right now, I am assuming you just have 1 issue, which is badly angled hair. 

• Moderators

Sometimes transplanted hair will grow in very curly, wiry, kinky, rough, etc. That usually slowly gets back to normal by around 18 months. You should hopefully start seeing some improvement of that soon. You may also have badly angled grafts which could make it look worse.  In that situation the hair grows in a different direction than your native hair. Bad angles won’t improve, but the roughness, wiryness should. You can see what Farjo thinks of your situation but I suggest you don’t actually do anything until at least past the 1 year mark to really know what you’re dealing with. 

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

@head did you just have a high forehead or has your hair begun receding? I'm not a doctor but at only 19 you really should (need?) to get onto finasteride and try and prevent any future MPB. How long ago did you have this surgery? Unfortunately you have made the same mistake I did when I was 18. for the time being don't touch your finite donor. You do not want to be in a situation where you have tapped out all of your donor in ten years and you're still experiencing further MPB. Good luck with Dr Farjo. I wish you had have found the forum before the surgery but what's done is done. What you do from here will dictate everything.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

The wiry, kinky hairs are normal for a while and to an extent. However, yours does look especially wiry. This can happen if the bulb of the graft has been damaged during extraction, or the incision sites are too deep, the grafts haven't been handled well in general etc. In short, this can happen when the work hasn't been carried out very well. Looking at the density issues and the angulation issues, I think it's fair to say that this simply wasn't a very well executed HT. The fact they took you on as a 19 year old is, to be frank, disgraceful.

It would be useful to have more photos: pre-op, so we can see your starting point, immediate post op (so we can see the work), and a better range of angles and profiles of your current situation so we can better see the results and advise on how you might go about correcting things.

In terms of getting it fixed (as far as one blurry photo goes)... Right now there's nothing you can do other than seek consultations with more reputable clinics. The issue you'll have is that if your HT has indeed been a botch job, then filling in the density and hoping to simply cover the existing HT might not work very well (and you'll be ploughing through more precious donor hair at a very, very young age). The other option is to look to have a load of grafts punched back out again to try and create more of a blank canvass. The problem here is that this usually requires two or three surgeries to resolve, and there's only a handful of surgeons who are expert at this - none of them come cheaply and that "crazy price" of £7-9K will likely be the very minimum.

16 hours ago, head said:

The density is awful but whatever I'll get another HT

With love and respect, this kind of blasé attitude got you into a muddle to begin with, and throwing yet more grafts into an area with a load of bad grafts could backfire quite spectacularly. Firstly, you've already burnt 2,600 grafts away - that's a significant number of grafts by any measure, but especially at 19, and you've used those grafts in an attempt to reduce your forehead size rather to address any major hair loss it seems (from what you've said). Assuming you have the same issue on both temples as shown in your picture, you could easily be faced with throwing another 2,000 grafts at that whole area, leaving you almost 5,000 grafts out of pocket at 19/20 years old and without having actually addressed any hair loss. In 10 years time that could be a major issue.

Secondly, if those grafts you've had placed already are beyond the pale and unlikely to improve due to poor work, then putting a load of good grafts in amongst them will still cause you issues in terms of managing the hair. The bad hairs might be blended in a bit more, but without some de-bulking of the bad grafts then you're probably going to have the same or similar issues to what you're facing now.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gatsby said:

did you just have a high forehead or has your hair begun receding?

Always high forehead, never noticed receding over the years.

HT 8 months ago, no meds prior, min for 8 months since, fin too for 3.

The donor area doesn't look or feel any different, almost like nothing was taken from it

46 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

However, yours does look especially wiry

I think it is starting to improve a little, the newest grown hair feels smoother than it used to (some parts still feel bad). Pic I posted was 1 month ago.

53 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

It would be useful to have more photos: pre-op, so we can see your starting point, immediate post op (so we can see the work), and a better range of angles and profiles of your current situation so we can better see the results and advise on how you might go about correcting things.

RDT_20240227_145338518683176452106396.jpg.377d975a14eae344f3550f2115c8b2af.jpg

post op. Pre op pics attached to post

I've been told by some others they created a feminine hairline though this doesn't bother me. They also left a gap between the new and og hairline, I brought this up in the clinic post op and the doctor said it'll 'expand' and fill in when its fully grown.

IMG_20230525_143631.jpg

IMG_20230525_143643.jpg

IMG_20230525_143656.jpg

IMG_20230531_162249.jpg

• Valued Contributor
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, head said:

I've been told by some others they created a feminine hairline though this doesn't bother me. They also left a gap between the new and og hairline, I brought this up in the clinic post op and the doctor said it'll 'expand' and fill in when its fully grown.

It is an unusual hairline shape that isn't natural for men. Those sloping down bits on each side is indeed more of a female hairline shape. I can see from your original photo that those hairs are not only in the wrong place (because you're not a woman), but they've used thicker multi-graft hairs instead of soft single hairs to match your temple points, and the direction of those hairs is all wrong.

Nothing will "expand" - that's total bollocks. Grafts will grow wherever they've been placed. Gaps will remain as gaps until otherwise filled in.

In terms of a more immediate fix, you could look to have these bizarrely placed grafts removed and reimplanted into some of the more gappy areas. At the very least you'd have a natural male hairline shape and a bit extra density. If the rest of the transplanted hair continues to soften a bit it might be enough to get by on a small second pass for more density but this is where I would start personally.

HT_fix.jpg

Edited by Berba11
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Al - Moderator said:

Sometimes transplanted hair will grow in very curly, wiry, kinky, rough, etc. That usually slowly gets back to normal by around 18 months

do you have any examples of this from the forum? I personally have yet to see anyone with oddly curled hair revert back to normal. 

Perhaps yes if there is at most only a extremely subtle degree of wiryness and kink, as the grafts should ultimately get thicker and softer.

But for anything more than a very very minor degree of variance, every case I have ever reviewed on this, the hair has not gotten better. 

when @head mentions his hair is "curly", I feel like some/all of this hair is perpendicular/badly angled which will not improve

I think it may be most prudent for @head to assume he has been botched, but maybe leave a 5% miracle chance open that the hair will be fine

I feel that alot of repair patients have a hard time accepting they have been botched and this really impedes/delays their repair journey. 

It's a shame that clinics will never ever admit to any mistakes, because it leaves patients gaslighted and makes the road to repair alot more difficult. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

I am so sorry to read this. Even though hair appeareance may improve, it won't be a radical change.

If you are located in the UK, ask dr. Ball as well, he is well considered and have a lot of experience in repairs.

• Like 1

Having my Dr Farjo consultation in 3 months actually, just because it's the best time for me that doesn't interfere with anything else. And 11 months is better for an analysis on the transplant anyway. So will update this thread after that.

Someone on Reddit messaged me saying they've had their consultation at the same clinic and booked an appointment (which requires a £1000 deposit to lock you in) right before they saw my post.
Screenshot_2024-03-25-16-59-06-728_com.reddit.frontpage.jpg?ex=661422e5&is=6601ade5&hm=65d6f08ac19ed30a6b8f48d63ef3f2030a0dffa7403d746065606219696e1922&=&format=webp&width=408&height=906

I mean best of luck to them I guess. Unfortunately I can't settle for a sub-amazing result

There's still the possibility it can improve.. but by how much is to be determined..
I wonder, are there any tricks to reduce the curling/texture? Perhaps even using hair straighteners?

• Moderators

On 3/20/2024 at 4:27 PM, HappyMan2021 said:

do you have any examples of this from the forum? I personally have yet to see anyone with oddly curled hair revert back to normal. 

Perhaps yes if there is at most only a extremely subtle degree of wiryness and kink, as the grafts should ultimately get thicker and softer.

But for anything more than a very very minor degree of variance, every case I have ever reviewed on this, the hair has not gotten better. 

when @head mentions his hair is "curly", I feel like some/all of this hair is perpendicular/badly angled which will not improve

I think it may be most prudent for @head to assume he has been botched, but maybe leave a 5% miracle chance open that the hair will be fine

I feel that alot of repair patients have a hard time accepting they have been botched and this really impedes/delays their repair journey. 

It's a shame that clinics will never ever admit to any mistakes, because it leaves patients gaslighted and makes the road to repair alot more difficult. 

I think it will improve some, but I agree that this is much worse than a normal case of it, but the best thing to do is wait a few more months to see how it turns out and then go from there. It's rarely a good idea to just jump into a repair without seeing the end result. As I said I do think he has some bad angles as well and he should consult a better Dr to see what his options are, but I just don't want him jumping into another HT before knowing the end result of this one.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.