Hi guys.  For men whom their doctor recommends recrunstructing the temple points. Generally speaking:  "These days," are expert surgeons doing a great job?  (I'm asking because I have spoken to several guys (years ago) that were disappointed b/c the hairs in this area were quite detectable.  Thank you.

It is not only the skill of cutting the site angles correctly and density and direction, they are usually under 15% and very flush. But, also choosing the right hairs, if you fill them with coarse occipital hair then don't expect a natural outcome. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

I'm curious why you're asking to be honest. I've been following your other threads and it's highly debatable whether you yourself are a candidate for surgery. If you do proceed with a modest surgery, you certainly won't have the luxury of addressing your temple points. So if that's why you're asking, I think you're barking up the wrong tree to be frank with you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Berba11 said:

I'm curious why you're asking to be honest. I've been following your other threads and it's highly debatable whether you yourself are a candidate for surgery. If you do proceed with a modest surgery, you certainly won't have the luxury of addressing your temple points. So if that's why you're asking, I think you're barking up the wrong tree to be frank with you.

I'm asking because:  I spoke to several guys (around 5 years ago) that were disappointed in the results of their temple point reconstruction. They said the hairs in this area were noticeable.  I asked my question today because:  I wanted to see if the science has improved?  Ie, Are doctors' techniques in this area improving?  (*Not all my questions I ask pertain to me specifically.*  I am simply interested in learning / curious.  That's all.)

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Calihome1 said:

Very tough.  Only a few doctors get it consistently right, and even they sometimes have

Thank you.  Good point

Edited by Approach

6 hours ago, laverita said:

It is not only the skill of cutting the site angles correctly and density and direction, they are usually under 15% and very flush. But, also choosing the right hairs, if you fill them with coarse occipital hair then don't expect a natural outcome. 

Thank you.  Good point about the angles.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silent123 said:

Hey man. Where are you based? Temple point reconstruction is tough to get right. Do you have any photos? 

Hey Silent....I'm in Baltimore.  I'm not necessarily looking to have my temple points reconstructed.  I was just curious about the topic.  That's all.  It's interesting.

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, Approach said:

I'm asking because:  I spoke to several guys (around 5 years ago) that were disappointed in the results of their temple point reconstruction. They said the hairs in this area were noticeable.  I asked my question today because:  I wanted to see if the science has improved?  Ie, Are doctors' techniques in this area improving?  (*Not all my questions I ask pertain to me specifically.*  I am simply interested in learning / curious.  That's all.)

Fair enough. 

It’s borderline impossible to find hairs from anywhere else on the scalp that are as fine and soft as native temple point hairs. This means there will always be some kind of contrast between transplanted hairs and native hair in that area, especially at buzzcut length. When things are grown out everything blends very naturally however, which is true for HT’s in general - a bit of length helps everything!

Obviously the hairs selected need to be soft singles, and the angle and direction has to be nice and flush to the scalp to help the blending process. 

Lots of surgeons do temple points, though many only do subtle enhancements rather than full reconstruction of the temple points. 

• Moderators

I'm seriously considering of using some arm hairs to recreate my temple points and will probably try that if the Dr agrees to do it.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

4 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Fair enough. 

It’s borderline impossible to find hairs from anywhere else on the scalp that are as fine and soft as native temple point hairs. This means there will always be some kind of contrast between transplanted hairs and native hair in that area, especially at buzzcut length. When things are grown out everything blends very naturally however, which is true for HT’s in general - a bit of length helps everything!

Obviously the hairs selected need to be soft singles, and the angle and direction has to be nice and flush to the scalp to help the blending process. 

Lots of surgeons do temple points, though many only do subtle enhancements rather than full reconstruction of the temple points. 

Thank you for the thorough explanation.  I found it especially helpful you mentioned:  Subtle Enhancements (than full reconstruction).  I get it now.  Thanks again.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Approach said:

Thank you for the thorough explanation.  I found it especially helpful you mentioned:  Subtle Enhancements (than full reconstruction).  I get it now.  Thanks again.

I like the subtle temple points as well. I never had thick, far forward temple points, so I wouldn't want them, but I do need to add just a little so it isn't recessed so much now. I was looking at this case and thought this is the idea I am going for. Just a small amount

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Posted (edited)

I definitely did not plan on getting temple points done when I started my hair transplant journey.  I frankly never even realized they had receded so much until I started looking into hair transplants. Still did not think I would want it until I saw how nicely my hairline grew out. face seems so much more naturally framed with them done….before mine shed and entered current ugly duckling phase. 

Edited by LeonBlack