Donor Hair NW 7

I understand that NO doctor should take those donor hairs that are most likely to fall out someday.  However, are there unscrupulous doctors that do it anyway?  Ie, the results look great for the first 5 years, then eventually the transplanted hair falls out.  I assume NW 6/7 type patients are the most at risk for such a practice?  This being the case, should NW 7 patients be extra cautious with doctors like Petilla, Zarin, and Zethi?  Are these 3 doctors known to do that?  Or, are they truly upright doctors (specifically on this topic)?   

Edited by Approach

• Administrators

You keep creating multiple threads. But you have yet tell anyone what your goals are or what you would be satisfied with. Surgeons cannot multiply hair.

For example, if you have a maximum of 3,000 grafts in your donor, no doctor can change that. Also, your donor appears to be suffering from miniaturization. 

There’s no surgeon that could guarantee that hair won’t eventually thin and fall. These are risks you have to assume if you decide on surgery. 

There’s a difference between a regular Norwood 6/7 with healthy donors, and a Norwood 6/7 with thinning donors. The ladder are not good candidates. 

Here’s an example:

6A0B6AA2-9DE0-45AE-ABB0-5CD11AE8ADE4.jpeg

Candidate on the left has a very sparse donor that is visibly thinning with retrograde alopecia. Candidate on the right has a healthy donor with no retrograde alopecia. Although they’re both Norwood 7s, the difference in the outcome and future outcome is vastly different. 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Everyone's hair thins when you get older

so even if the donor hair is 'safe' and 100% not falling out, the donor hair will thin and be lose some of its vibrancy

Even if you were a Nw0 wolverine, no one has the same hair strength in their 60s+ that they did in their 20s

Regarding various doctors, I think you should consult with all you are interested and see what they say

As you have already experienced with Nader - the more popular a doctor is, the more picky they can be. 

Im not sure if it will do you any good speculating what Doctor A will do vs Doctor B until you consult with them

Even if you were to chat with literal Pitella, Sethi, etc. patients on this forum, every individual is unique and you really can't predict what the doctor will say

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

You keep creating multiple threads. But you have yet tell anyone what your goals are or what you would be satisfied with. Surgeons cannot multiply hair.

For example, if you have a maximum of 3,000 grafts in your donor, no doctor can change that. Also, your donor appears to be suffering from miniaturization. 

There’s no surgeon that could guarantee that hair won’t eventually thin and fall. These are risks you have to assume if you decide on surgery. 

There’s a difference between a regular Norwood 6/7 with healthy donors, and a Norwood 6/7 with thinning donors. The ladder are not good candidates. 

Here’s an example:

6A0B6AA2-9DE0-45AE-ABB0-5CD11AE8ADE4.jpeg

Candidate on the left has a very sparse donor that is visibly thinning with retrograde alopecia. Candidate on the right has a healthy donor with no retrograde alopecia. Although they’re both Norwood 7s, the difference in the outcome and future outcome is vastly different. 

Melvin-- sorry for posting so many similar questions. I had mentioned earlier (perhaps it was another member) that I tend to do that because it helps me narrow things down.  I personally find this method very useful b/c I can get answers to specific questions I ask.  Then, I analyze all the members' responses.  (I run the risk of being anniying though; I apologize).  I will cool it for a bit.  And, per your request, I will outline my goals instead of just freestyling questions after question --sincerely if the network prefers that method.  Thank you for all you do for this great network.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Approach said:

Melvin-- sorry for posting so many similar questions. I had mentioned earlier (perhaps it was another member) that I tend to do that because it helps me narrow things down.  I personally find this method very useful b/c I can get answers to specific questions I ask.  Then, I analyze all the members' responses.  (I run the risk of being anniying though; I apologize).  I will cool it for a bit.  And, per your request, I will outline my goals instead of just freestyling questions after question --sincerely if the network prefers that method.  Thank you for all you do for this great network.

Yes, it would be best if you think about it. Write it down and then post it in one thread. So you can keep referencing the same thread. If you have specific questions feel free to pm me. I’m always willing to help, or @Al - formerly BeHappy who’s not only in a similar situation but also our moderator.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor

Older NW7 patients will be a lot closer to their final level of hair loss, so there’s probably a little less risk by pushing the extraction boundaries. Of course, being on finasteride will help retain native hair across the entire scalp. 

From the results we’ve seen, Zittella, Zethi and Zarin all achieve long term results for their patients. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1