Oral minoxidil after HT

Hi guys,

I have question. I hope you guys can help me :). I want to start oral minoxidil 2mg. It have been 16 days after my hair transplant. For topical minoxidil they recommend to start after one month. Surgeons dont have much experience with the oral form. When is it safe to start?

Thanks in advance for any responses! 

Always best to check with your operating clinic to ensure that they do not share any alternative approaches, but oral minoxidil generally doesn't need to be discontinued throughout the surgery timeframe, meaning that you will be fine to begin at this stage.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, anoniem said:

Hi guys,

I have question. I hope you guys can help me :). I want to start oral minoxidil 2mg. It have been 16 days after my hair transplant. For topical minoxidil they recommend to start after one month. Surgeons dont have much experience with the oral form. When is it safe to start?

Thanks in advance for any responses! 

A lot of surgeons actually mostly only prescribe oral minoxidil like Dr Pittella, Dr Bisanga, etc. As stated check with your surgeon but 16 days post op should be fine (I’m not a doctor). All the best. 

• Valued Contributor

Its always better to ask your doctor regarding this but i believe it can be started from the next day itself.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

16 hours ago, anoniem said:

Thanks guys for answering the question. @Raphael84 you work for the clinic where Bisanga also is a surgeon? He recommends to start oral minoxidil right after the surgery? Thanks in advance for a response!

I work as a patient advisor for Dr. Bisanga. That is correct.

Dr. Bisanga would generally recommend (when appropriate for the patient) to begin oral minoxidil prior to surgery to get a sense of how a patient may respond and tolerate the medication.

This will then allow the patient to have more confidence in being able to commit long term which can then have an influence on assessment and recommendations knowing that a regimen is in place.

For patients who already use oral minoxidil at the time of surgery, there is no need to discontinue the medication for surgery and they continue as normal.

Topicals require a period of time without application, which is normally 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery.

Even before oral minoxidil was available at lower dosages and before it was being discussed as an option orally for hair, many hair transplant doctors would recommend patients to begin topical minoxidil 2 weeks post surgery to encourage follicles to transition to their anagen growth stage as soon as possible, so there should be no issue using this medication 16 days post surgery, but always best to discuss all with your chosen clinic.

It is also always recommended to discuss with your GP/family doctor to allow them to advise based on your family history, list on your own medical records and can then advise in case of any concerns of secondary effects.

All the best.

• Like 1

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Sound advice above, but would like to add that topical could put the hair into a shed, so personally, would just let the hair do its thing until it has grown out then can try it. Of course it would be better to try topical beforehand and see how you respond first, rather than using for the first time after surgery.

Hi Hairwolf,

Thank you for responding. I dont understand what you mean. I will use oral minoxidil and not the topical one. Because the oral one seems to be more effective. Your advice is too start the topical one first and not the oral one?