Comprehensive donor assessment - microscopic/trichoscopic images

Can you guys let me know if my donor area looks OK? I fear there might be DUPA present? I need to know as I am considering hair transplant and am about to pay deposit.

22 yo male, on finasteride for 1 year. 

Some people say DUPA, then I send them another pic and they say no DUPA.... I just want a solid answer, its driving me insane. 

mSiWxLX.jpg

um1CFO8.jpgmblQJrI.jpg

V2CJYWu.jpg

vgR5ZPd.jpg

2303a6o.jpg

This is your fourth thread on this matter. Crating another thread won't give you more answers. You are seeking medical advice, we are not doctors on this forum. Consult with your surgeon. Don't trust his answer? Consult with another surgeon for a second opinion.

• Like 1

2500 FUE by Dr. Victor Hasson, June 2023

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, jaystev01 said:

why cant i?

I didn't say you can't (though you most likely shouldn't). I asked you two questions (which you haven't answered yet).

In most cases you're too young. Even if you're taking finasteride, your hair loss will be at its most aggressive so it's vitally important to stabilise hair loss first and demonstrate this over a statistically significant period of time.

Secondly, in my experience on these forums, we often see young guys wanting a HT and, when they bother to submit photos, we see they don't really have enough hair loss to justify a HT in the first place.

Thirdly, good HT's are expensive. Most 22 year olds don't have the spare capital to fund a HT without loading themselves up with debt (bank loans), so there's a question of whether a HT is in the best financial interests of a young person (it mostly will not be).

Lastly - and don't take this the wrong way - but at 22 you're not going to be making the best long term decisions for yourself and to want a HT so young is an impulsive and reactionary approach to early hair loss. I had enough hair loss myself to easily justify a HT at 22, but am very, very happy that I didn't do anything so daft at that age. If your first port of call at the sight of hair loss is to prematurely jump to surgery (which should always be the last resort), then there exists real questions about your mental fitness for surgery and how you're thinking about your hair loss in general. Getting a HT is something of a rite of passage. You have to go through all the necessary steps first - one of which is learn to deal and live with your hair loss for an extended period of time. Most blokes make their peace with their hair loss and save themselves from a life time of medicine and surgeries. You mathematically cannot have given yourself time to do that at 22 years old, so you're self-evidently trying to skip the most important steps and get straight to the surgery part.

And if you can't find any peace with regards to the current state of your hair/hair loss, just consider how much worse you would feel if you went ahead with surgery and got botched at 22.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

I didn't say you can't (though you most likely shouldn't). I asked you two questions (which you haven't answered yet).

In most cases you're too young. Even if you're taking finasteride, your hair loss will be at its most aggressive so it's vitally important to stabilise hair loss first and demonstrate this over a statistically significant period of time.

Secondly, in my experience on these forums, we often see young guys wanting a HT and, when they bother to submit photos, we see they don't really have enough hair loss to justify a HT in the first place.

Thirdly, good HT's are expensive. Most 22 year olds don't have the spare capital to fund a HT without loading themselves up with debt (bank loans), so there's a question of whether a HT is in the best financial interests of a young person (it mostly will not be).

Lastly - and don't take this the wrong way - but at 22 you're not going to be making the best long term decisions for yourself and to want a HT so young is an impulsive and reactionary approach to early hair loss. I had enough hair loss myself to easily justify a HT at 22, but am very, very happy that I didn't do anything so daft at that age. If your first port of call at the sight of hair loss is to prematurely jump to surgery (which should always be the last resort), then there exists real questions about your mental fitness for surgery and how you're thinking about your hair loss in general. Getting a HT is something of a rite of passage. You have to go through all the necessary steps first - one of which is learn to deal and live with your hair loss for an extended period of time. Most blokes make their peace with their hair loss and save themselves from a life time of medicine and surgeries. You mathematically cannot have given yourself time to do that at 22 years old, so you're self-evidently trying to skip the most important steps and get straight to the surgery part.

And if you can't find any peace with regards to the current state of your hair/hair loss, just consider how much worse you would feel if you went ahead with surgery and got botched at 22.

How is getting a hair transplant a rite of passage? Are you trying to gatekeep hair transplants 🤣Being bald/balding during the prime years of your life is absolutely miserable, and most people given the chance would remedy this provided they have the money and time (which I do). Balding at 35 and balding at 22 are two completely different things. To want a hair transplant at 22 does not indicate any sort of mental illness as you are suggesting, it is completely reasonable. Is going on accutane because you have acne as a teenager indicative of mental illness? Acne is just a part of life, as is hair loss. If I was losing my hair in my thirties, so be it. I am 22, meant to be at the peak of my physical attractiveness and SMV and yet am losing my hair rapidly, I look much older than I actually am as a result of this. 

"Most blokes make their peace with their hair loss and save themselves from a life time of medicine and surgeries"

I don't think  they make peace with it, rather, they cope with it and get on with it living life at a standard which is worse than if they had a full head of hair. 

You talk about getting botched, but I don't really know what you mean by that? Could you explain further :)

• Valued Contributor
10 minutes ago, jaystev01 said:

How is getting a hair transplant a rite of passage?

I explained this in the very next sentence. Read again (and I said "something of a rite of passage").

11 minutes ago, jaystev01 said:

Being bald/balding during the prime years of your life is absolutely miserable

It's objectively not actually miserable at all; nothing happens to you when your hair starts to go - it's not a disability or terminal illness. It doesn't prevent you from doing anything. You may not like that it's happening, but how you reflect on it and process/deal with it internally is a choice.

13 minutes ago, jaystev01 said:

To want a hair transplant at 22 does not indicate any sort of mental illness as you are suggesting, it is completely reasonable.

I didn't say mental illness. Again, calm down and read what I actually said and take some time to reflect on the words rather than immediately jump to the defensive.

16 minutes ago, jaystev01 said:

Is going on accutane because you have acne as a teenager indicative of mental illness?

This question arises from your incorrect understanding of my previous comment. Acne is curable in most cases (even if sometimes it requires very strong medication), and therefore temporary. It's a much more straightforward and short term fix compared to HT surgery.

18 minutes ago, jaystev01 said:

If I was losing my hair in my thirties, so be it. I am 22, meant to be at the peak of my physical attractiveness and SMV and yet am losing my hair rapidly, I look much older than I actually am as a result of this. 

I can almost guarantee I had more hair loss than you at 22. If you can't pull with some receding hair then sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the issue isn't your hair.

20 minutes ago, jaystev01 said:

I don't think  they make peace with it, rather, they cope with it and get on with it living life at a standard which is worse than if they had a full head of hair.

This is exactly the kind of dumb thing I'd expect a 22 year old to say, and exactly why kids shouldn't be getting permanent surgeries on their heads. If you remember this comment in 20 years time, you'll look bad and give yourself a slap at how ridiculously wrong you were.

21 minutes ago, jaystev01 said:

You talk about getting botched, but I don't really know what you mean by that? Could you explain further

Why does it not surprise me that you don't know what I mean by this? Botched = any bad surgical outcome. HT's are not guaranteed to be successful, and can leave you looking worse off. If you think shaving your hair off means "living life at a worse standard" than having hair, try living life with a bad hair transplant. 

• Administrators

22 is too young. Period.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I had my first HT at 24 and is was the biggest mistake i made. Been taking finasteride / minox for  13 years and luckily managed to stabilise my hair loss before jumping in to another procedure two weeks ago. Without trying to be condescending,  Id highly recommend taking onboard other peoples advice who have probably gone through procedures at a young age only to regret it later and are advising you not to follow in their footsteps. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone makes great points and I would listen to what they are saying.

As well, you should seek out a doctor, preferably a dermatologist who is versed in hair loss, who can give you a proper in person evaluation and diagnosis.