Dr Mwamba in Brussels, Belgium

So seems my upcoming surgery with Dr Mwamba March 1st have changed. I was supposed to travel to Atlanta,  but his plans have changed and now I have to go to Brussels. 

I'm from the USA...   And going somewhere like Brussels will be a very foreign to me.  I'm actually a little nervous.  Anyone else from USA go see Dr Mwamba in Brussels and can give me any tips? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Etownone said:

I'm from the USA...   And going somewhere like Brussels will be a very foreign to me.  I'm actually a little nervous.  Anyone else from USA go see Dr Mwamba in Brussels and can give me any tips? 

I have had surgeries with Mwamba in both Atlanta and Brussels. The Atlanta surgery was uncomfortable because he is just renting a random doctor's office and the surgery chair was not ergonomical and there was no TV. Neither his rented clinic in Atlanta or New Jersey were designed for hair transplants, whereas Brussels is

Brussels location is very comfortable, nice chair, and big tv

Why the change of plans on Mwamba's part? Are you going to have to pay the 25% Brussels VAT Tax? Are you going to have to pay for the flight to Brussels or is he comping that?

I myself am flying to Brussels this year for another surgery with Mwamba. (im also an American) I honestly will be a bit peeved if you and any other Atlanta people get comped flights and don't have to pay a VAT tax. I am only going to Brussels bc when I booked there were no Atlanta slots. But I am more or less having the same journey as you, so where is my free travel and no VAT Tax? 

I have noticed Mwamba's pricing is fairly subjective and patient-to-patient based (for the exact same type of work) which I am not a fan of. 

But yes...I am interested in knowing if Mwamba is comping you on those expenses

Additionally, keep in mind that for Mwamba's US surgeries, he only operates on 1 patient a day due to lack of techs with him and other logisticial issues. Whereas in Brussels he is much more likely to have 2 patients a day because the Brussels clinic is designed for that. 

I'm from the USA...   And going somewhere like Brussels will be a very foreign to me.  I'm actually a little nervous.

imagine America but the buildings are much much older, significantly more foot traffic as opposed to vehicles, less obese people, and everyone speaks French. 

I don't understand what being an American has to do with anything unless you show up in Brussels wearing a cowboy hat and bring a firearm with you or something 🤣

If Belgium feels "very foreign" to you, I can only imagine how you would handle Asia, Africa, South America, etc. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

• Valued Contributor

Brussels is just a nice (if slightly boring) European city. It won’t be radically different to any smaller, older city anywhere else really. English will be spoken fairly typically and definitely at restaurants, hotels and so on. 

If you have a few days pre op, hop on a short train to Brugge for a day trip or a short stay over - beautiful little city easily explored on foot over the course of a day or two. 

You’ll have no issues whatsoever in Belgium. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lewis Horsley said:

I’m there this up and coming week, will let you know 👍🏼

Oh good luck.   

I never traveled to anywhere is Europe. 

Are you staying at a hotel that is close to his clinic...   If so,  maybe I'll book the se one as you. 

14 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Brussels is just a nice (if slightly boring) European city. It won’t be radically different to any smaller, older city anywhere else really. English will be spoken fairly typically and definitely at restaurants, hotels and so on. 

If you have a few days pre op, hop on a short train to Brugge for a day trip or a short stay over - beautiful little city easily explored on foot over the course of a day or two. 

You’ll have no issues whatsoever in Belgium. 

Thx!!  Great to know English is spoken....  I was worried I'd be with some Google translate in hand. 

If I was single,  I'd make this a week trip to enjoy the sights before the surgery.    But I'm going to be in and out.   It's an overnight flight and I'm going from the airport to his clinic. 

19 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I have had surgeries with Mwamba in both Atlanta and Brussels. The Atlanta surgery was uncomfortable because he is just renting a random doctor's office and the surgery chair was not ergonomical and there was no TV. Neither his rented clinic in Atlanta or New Jersey were designed for hair transplants, whereas Brussels is

Brussels location is very comfortable, nice chair, and big tv

Why the change of plans on Mwamba's part? Are you going to have to pay the 25% Brussels VAT Tax? Are you going to have to pay for the flight to Brussels or is he comping that?

I myself am flying to Brussels this year for another surgery with Mwamba. (im also an American) I honestly will be a bit peeved if you and any other Atlanta people get comped flights and don't have to pay a VAT tax. I am only going to Brussels bc when I booked there were no Atlanta slots. But I am more or less having the same journey as you, so where is my free travel and no VAT Tax? 

I have noticed Mwamba's pricing is fairly subjective and patient-to-patient based (for the exact same type of work) which I am not a fan of. 

But yes...I am interested in knowing if Mwamba is comping you on those expenses

Additionally, keep in mind that for Mwamba's US surgeries, he only operates on 1 patient a day due to lack of techs with him and other logisticial issues. Whereas in Brussels he is much more likely to have 2 patients a day because the Brussels clinic is designed for that. 

imagine America but the buildings are much much older, significantly more foot traffic as opposed to vehicles, less obese people, and everyone speaks French. 

I don't understand what being an American has to do with anything unless you show up in Brussels wearing a cowboy hat and bring a firearm with you or something 🤣

If Belgium feels "very foreign" to you, I can only imagine how you would handle Asia, Africa, South America, etc. 

Thx... I didn't know anything about a VAT rax.   That is news to me. 

Dr Mwamba will comp the difference from the flight to Atlanta to Brussels. 

I was extremely lucky to see Dr Mwamba in NJ a couple years ago,   and it was only a 40 minute drive for me.    So I know what you mean,  in NJ, he rents a small room at a Dr office.   It wasn't a bad experience for me. 

I'm fluent in Spanish and have been to the South America and a few carribean islands,  and felt comfortable there...  But going to Europe is a whole new adventure for me.  

I just found out English is spoken fairly throughout there,  so that's great to know.  

Thx... I didn't know anything about a VAT rax.   That is news to me. 

Dr Mwamba will comp the difference from the flight to Atlanta to Brussels. 

I was extremely lucky to see Dr Mwamba in NJ a couple years ago,   and it was only a 40 minute drive for me.    So I know what you mean,  in NJ, he rents a small room at a Dr office.   It wasn't a bad experience for me. 

I'm fluent in Spanish and have been to the South America and a few carribean islands,  and felt comfortable there...  But going to Europe is a whole new adventure for me.  

I just found out English is spoken fairly throughout there,  so that's great to know.  

There is a 25% vat tax in brussels on top of the surgery costs. 

Maybe ask Mwamba if he will comp that as well.

I am also curious, is your surgery price set in stone or is it more "play it by ear" once Mwamba sees you on surgery day?

I ask because I imagine the atlanta price was in dollars but now its in euros

I will be surprised if Mwamba is also comping the vat tax and keeping the dollar range

If he does, i feel like he may have appx. A 50% loss in profit by having your surgery go from atlanta to Brussels

I think its BS how I and many others are going on the same journey as you to Brussels, but you may save like 5k euros bc of Mwamba's scheduling changes

Im not angry at any of mwamba's patients who he comps, my frustration is at the clinic that 2 patients could have an identical journey and surgery, but one of the patients gets to pay $5k or more less due to karmic luck and nothing more

Its certainly not a meritocratic or objective pricing model...

Edited by HappyMan2021

• 2 weeks later...

Wsp @Etownone I went for mine in 2022 I definitely recommend at the Dublin airport to get euros this will help when having to get a cab or buying something at a store, secondly and most importantly have the address where your staying at present at customs, lastly get a SIM card that allows your phone to work in Belgium there’s kiosks at the airport, Belgium is a very calm place skinny streets old buildings definitely different then the US very walkable bring a cap to wear once your transplant is complete 

7 hours ago, Dillpickle123 said:

Wsp @Etownone I went for mine in 2022 I definitely recommend at the Dublin airport to get euros this will help when having to get a cab or buying something at a store, secondly and most importantly have the address where your staying at present at customs, lastly get a SIM card that allows your phone to work in Belgium there’s kiosks at the airport, Belgium is a very calm place skinny streets old buildings definitely different then the US very walkable bring a cap to wear once your transplant is complete 

Thanks man!!   

Get Eros at the Dublin airport.   👍

I added the international play with AT&T....  their customer service told me AT&T works in belgium.  Hope it's true. 

Thanks man!!   

Get Eros at the Dublin airport.   👍

I added the international play with AT&T....  their customer service told me AT&T works in belgium.  Hope it's true. 

Hopefully or you’ll stuck in a gulag like me when I couldn’t show customs where I was staying 😂 

On 2/7/2024 at 9:22 PM, Dillpickle123 said:

Hopefully or you’ll stuck in a gulag like me when I couldn’t show customs where I was staying 😂

"secondly and most importantly have the address where your staying at present at customs," 

Wow...   Thx man... I haven't even looked into where I'm staying yet.  

But now I know... I better book it and have that info for customs.