Recommend stopping finasteride before trying to have children?

I'm currently on 1mg oral finasteride daily, but am considering stopping as my wife and I are planning to have children soon. The research on whether it can harm the fetus seems unclear, so wondering what the forum thinks on this topic

Most studies and shown that it such low dosis it cannot affect the fetus. But if i were you i would stop finasteride temporarly for this reason. The problem is that if something happens with the fetus, unrelated to finasteride, you might find yourself in a situation questioning yourself if finasteride caused any harm or even worse blaming yourself for this. So, if you ask my opinion i would temporarly stop taking finasteride for this reason.

13 hours ago, MaximusEastwood said:

I'm currently on 1mg oral finasteride daily, but am considering stopping as my wife and I are planning to have children soon. The research on whether it can harm the fetus seems unclear, so wondering what the forum thinks on this topic

You should stop it at least three months prior. Although research results might be unclear but you shouldn’t take any risks. 

stopping finasteride temporarily for 1-3 months will not impact your results anyway. It takes time for dht levels to go back to normal and even more time to actually affect your hair. Just take oral minoxidil in the meantime to stay strong

• Valued Contributor

There is not one clinically reported case of a teratogen in child birth from Finasteride. However can you imagine how you would feel if your new born was born with some disability or problem? I could never forgive myself. Three months before attempting to have a child is a good wash out period. I wish you all the best. 👍