Been told to stop Finasteride, 7 days before surgery. Is this a common thing?

Different Doctors that I have got my HT from all have different regime and protocols. ranging from stopping DHT Blocker and Minoxidil from atleast 2-3 weeks before the Procedure.

25 minutes ago, Electric said:

What's the reason for stopping prior to surgery?

They’ve just said it’s standard practice for their surgery. I trust them implicitly. Just thought people might have a guess as to why some do it and some don’t….

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Electric said:

What's the reason for stopping prior to surgery?

The reason to stop DHT blockers before a surgery is so that the best Hair Grafts can be cherry picked for the surgery, as DHT blockers can extend the anagen phase of hairs, it does not give a true picture of how well resilient that particular hair graft is from within against DHT attack 🙂

Edited by augustya

30 minutes ago, augustya said:

The reason to stop DHT blockers before a surgery is so that the best Hair Grafts can be cherry picked for the surgery, as DHT blockers can extend the anagen phase of hairs, it does not give a true picture of how well resilient that particular hair graft is from within against DHT attack 🙂

Oh right, yeah, that makes sense…. Although, I can’t imagine a week of Finasteride is going to make my hair look any different at all… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, Otis james said:

Oh right, yeah, that makes sense…. Although, I can’t imagine a week of Finasteride is going to make my hair look any different at all… 🤷🏻‍♂️

That's why I said I have heard atleast 2-3 weeks ideally a month before.

They recommended me to stop blocking therapy during the post op period but it was mostly due to the fact that I was taking already lots of medications and they didn't want me to overload that. It was only a week though so nothing bad came through it. 

I asked Dr. Pinto about this because I thought it was weird too and I think he said some fin may have additives that could increase bleeding. I think it’s just an overly cautious preliminary measure. Ask him before surgery if you’re curious.