Month 5 post op. Shock loss still there. Has anyone recovered from shock loss after a transplant this late?

I had 2500 grafts done in my hairline and scalp. I am not on finasteride due to the side effects I received. Third pic is preop before the transplant, fourth is after shaving head, last pic is post op. My hair is messy in the first two pics to show the baldness more when it is not styled. The preop pic before the transplant is my styled hair that had some patches but not this bad.

IMG_0957.jpeg

IMG_0956.jpeg

IMG_0585.jpeg

IMG_0595.png

IMG_0593.png

@mojones,

Shock loss can be scary especially when several months have gone by and you’re still experiencing it. However, because new transplanted hair growth typically starts between 3 to 5 months, five months is still considered early days.  Let me explain further.

Shock loss occurs because your scalp and hair are essentially traumatized a.k.a. stressed during surgery. Post operative shock loss is also referred to as telogen effluvium which is a temporary hair loss due to some kind of stressor.  The transplanted hair is also stressed a.k.a. traumatized because it is literally being moved from one place to another which is why it falls out between 4 to 6 weeks and doesn’t start to grow back for 3 to 5 months. Similarly, any natural hair that was shocked because hair was transplanted in between and around it, will also take time to grow back. Shocked natural hair could take up to six months to a year or two completely return just as it takes about that long for your transplanted hair to grow in and mature.

So while I don’t have a crystal ball as to what will happen in your case nor do I know the specifics of your case, I can say generally speaking that it’s very possible and likely that any shocked hair will return over the next 6 months.  If it doesn’t, I suggest contacting your surgeon to discuss.

Best wishes,

Patient Advocate - Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.