Confusion around small hairs not growing

Hi everybody, 

So I’ve been searching this forum and there are a number of previous topics on the issue of small stubbly hairs that don’t grow or shed. In some of the previous threads, these have been described by forum members as ‘dead’ hairs. 

I’m unsure what this means. Are the hairs ‘dead’ in that the grafts died, presumably during the surgery, and the hairs will never recover? As a worst case scenario, essentially the grafts are lost. Or are the hairs dead but the grafts aren’t, and in time new hairs will grow? 

I’m asking this as I have many very small (like stubble on your face the day after shaving) hairs in my transplant area. I’m around the 1 month post-op period. 

If the worst case is the correct interpretation - these grafts are lost and hairs will never recover, does anyone know why this is? 

thanks very much everyone. 

A dead hair is a hair shaft that has disengaged from the hair follicle and is usually because the follicle has entered a resting phase…a new hair shaft will push out the dead one in most cases otherwise it will just eventually come out from hair washing.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

1 minute ago, gillenator said:

A dead hair is a hair shaft that has disengaged from the hair follicle and is usually because the follicle has entered a resting phase…a new hair shaft will push out the dead one in most cases otherwise it will just eventually come out from hair washing.

Thanks @gillenator

If I may check my understanding if what you say - does this mean a stubble hair that doesn’t grow is no cause for concern and the graft is still alive so a new hair will eventually grow? I’m concerned as I have many of them, about 1mm in length while the rest of my hair is 1cm in length. 

I posted a few years ago , regarding the same situation , whereby one can feel small stubble. It’s interesting because the stubble occurs after the shedding phase, therefore it cannot be the transplanted hair shafts, as those have shed and were longer. 
In theory , these could be the new hairs coming through but then suddenly stop growing. 
I experienced an alarming number of these stubble like hairs with my 2nd FUT and those never grew, resulting in one side having less density. 
I just had my 3rd FUT 5 months ago and do have a few stubble not growing but nothing like before. Interestingly enough, it’s only on one side again.

Unless an expert can chime in here to further explain this, we are throwing darts in the dark as to why and how this occurs. 
That’s my two cents :)

Edited by Betterhair

In my situation I’m only a month post op so it definitely can’t be new hairs that are growing - also they are in a place where I had zero hairs before so they’re definitely hairs that have been transplanted. 

I’ve read elsewhere these are grafts that died during the surgery - that is worrying as hell as I have so many of them. Also, I’m not sure why so many would have died as I went with a reputable doc. 

Edited by secondtryuser

With my situation, I could tell the difference between the transplanted hair prior to shedding and some “stubble”( shorter) hairs that popped up later. Since you are only a month out, you should have already shed the transplanted hair. I shed mine at 3 weeks. 

If you can somehow look at this stubble close up with a magnifying mirror say 2 months from now, you might start seeing hair coming through right next to the stubble.

I would not stress over this , since you went to a reputable clinic. 
As I mentioned before, my last FUT does have a few of this stubble but overall, new hair is coming in all over the place.

Hopefully in 2-3 months you will begin to see growth. Staying positive is important!

This phenomena is still a mystery to me but let’s say 30 grafts didn’t survive, that should not affect the outcome.

I could be totally off base here but since I’ve had 3 FUT’s and have experienced this stubble that appears to not grow, I think that warrants some of what I’m saying. 

Edited by Betterhair
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2023 at 5:12 PM, secondtryuser said:

Thanks @gillenator

If I may check my understanding if what you say - does this mean a stubble hair that doesn’t grow is no cause for concern and the graft is still alive so a new hair will eventually grow? I’m concerned as I have many of them, about 1mm in length while the rest of my hair is 1cm in length. 

Here’s the thing, at one month post-op, it’s all speculation…once a hair follicle goes into the resting/dormant phase it will rest for 3-4 months until it moves into a new growth phase so it’s best to just chill and give it adequate time as time tells all things…otherwise you will drive yourself crazy guessing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Moderators

At one month post op it's normal. They just haven't shed yet. Most of them will shed soon. Some of them may just start growing from where they are and not shed.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Posted (edited)

Per my previous post , you evaluate 3 months from now. My point was with my previous FUT’s , 12-18 months had passed with the stubble still present, hence they had not grown, which resulted in one side less dense.

Obviously with you being only one month out, you cannot assess. 
Another variable in all of this is the fact that everyone is different in terms of growth time, graft survival and such.

If you went to a reputable clinic, with experienced technicians, you will be fine, considering you followed the post op instructions religiously and still do.

Edited by Betterhair
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.

for people in the future coming across this thread while searching for similar answers, this YouTube video also directly addresses the question: 

• Like 1

This is just one Doctors viewpoint and take on this. One has to factor in all the variables in conjunction with differences with each individual, ie: health condition, history of smoking, etc,etc.

I too ran across this video yrs ago when my stubble( different from transplanted stubble) was not growing and closely checked to see if new hairs were growing by the stubble.

Just check a few months from now to assess.