Crown growth speed

Hey everyone,

Just a quick one. I seem to recall reading somewhere that transplanted hair to the crown can grow a bit slower to see results than elsewhere on the scalp. Any truth to this?

I only ask as I’m 4 months post op, and can see hair growing on the hairline, but not so much on the crown. Now my crown wasn’t completely bald anyway so is difficult to spot new fine hairs anyway, but I could also be expecting too much anyway at 4 months if crown growth can be a bit slower.

Thanks!

Yes the growth in the crown usually takes longer because of the blood supply, but at 4 months its really too early to make any judgments. I mean you might see a good result on the hairline at 8 months anf on the crown it might take 12 or 13 months.

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, DaveTay said:

Hey everyone,

Just a quick one. I seem to recall reading somewhere that transplanted hair to the crown can grow a bit slower to see results than elsewhere on the scalp. Any truth to this?

I only ask as I’m 4 months post op, and can see hair growing on the hairline, but not so much on the crown. Now my crown wasn’t completely bald anyway so is difficult to spot new fine hairs anyway, but I could also be expecting too much anyway at 4 months if crown growth can be a bit slower.

Thanks!

Yes I would give the crown at least twelve months. All the best!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjalay said:

Yes the growth in the crown usually takes longer because of the blood supply, but at 4 months its really too early to make any judgments. I mean you might see a good result on the hairline at 8 months anf on the crown it might take 12 or 13 months.

This is true and I also concur that the slower growth is related to the blood supply in the posterior area of the scalp…a full mature result in the crown can take up to 15 months or so.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks everyone. I won’t stress about seeing slower progress in the crown compared to the hairline then. At only 4 months post op I’ll wait a couple more months and hopefully see some growth in the crown by then 👍🏻