Does HT leave scars and require medication for the rest of my life?

Hi, I have discovered this forum recently after browsing Reddit reading reviews of HT clinics.

I am 35 and I am NW IV. 

I read a few success and moderate success stories in some media and I thought I could restore my hairline.

I do have a few doubts though, there are a few things I’d like to find answers to:

- does HT (FUE method) leave scars? For example if it doesn’t work and I have to go bald, would I look more ugly after HT?

- I am planning to have a child in the next year or two, and I read that the medication given to prevent further hair loss has negative effect of male reproductivity. How do I need to take medication after the HT? Is it for the rest of my life to prevent further loss of my own hair?

IMG_2839.jpeg

Hi thmns, 

Yes a HT does cause scarring, but it can be very minimal depending on which clinic you choose to get a HT. Use this forum to do your research.

There are two main types of medication;

• minoxidil (topical or oral) promotes hair growth due to better blood flow mainly. Safe to use unless you have very low blood pressure.
  • finasteride (topical or oral) mainly lowers DHT levels and therefore slows miniaturization proces of hair follicles in the scalp. Overall safe to use, but some men experience side effects. Regarding conceiving, generally the advice is to pause the intake one month prior.

• Administrators

Yes it leaves scars. You need to be on medication to keep the rest of your hair. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Yes it leaves scars. You need to be on medication to keep the rest of your hair. 

Hi @Melvin- Admin - what about if hair loss is at Norwood 7? With just a few miniaturised on mid scalp a d some normal hair maybe. Do you think medication is still required?

I have asked a few clinics about medication. Dr yaman says medication is not required but he says you can use multivitamins instead. Eugenix said finasteride must be taken as it can help the miniaturised hair on mid scalp.

I'm curious how/why clinics differ on this subject. I'm considering a procedure as a Norwood 7 but don't want to take finasteride or minoxidil and would only rely on multivitamins.

• Like 1