Stress & anxiety cause graft dislodge/damage/poor survival?

Hey fellas,

I'm 1 day post op, and had a call with a family member and got some bad news (won't go into the details....), which have additionally also caused some arguments between myself and someone else whom I care about. After I took a call, I could feel my scalp twitching....hurting almost. Pinching feelings in the recipient. I checked the mirror - no fresh blood, everything seemed exactly as it had done prior to this bad news.

Do you think there's a chance this kind of emotional state, so close after a procedure can cause problems to the grafts? 

Of course, there's a chance I'm just being paranoid and slight discomfort is to be expected, but it's just that I noticed it after a bad/heated conversation I had to have. 

Any help would be really appreciated. 

(Also, as a catch-all, am I correct in thinking if any damage had been done you'd see the graphs 'pop' on your scalp so to speak and consequently there'd be blood - and if this hasn't happened they're still in place and a raised heart rate due to stress can't cause any problems?)

• Valued Contributor

Hi @secondtryuser. firstly sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time. Secondly though, this will not have an affect on your grafts. By 24-48 hours the grafts are well anchored in place. Hope things reside for the better.

• Like 1

• Moderators

The arguing and/or yelling that you are involved in is raising your blood pressure which is causing you to feel more pain from the surgery. The solution is to calm down and relax for a few days and you should be fine.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

8 hours ago, BeHappy said:

The arguing and/or yelling that you are involved in is raising your blood pressure which is causing you to feel more pain from the surgery. The solution is to calm down and relax for a few days and you should be fine.

My question was more around will this have an impact on graft survival, rather than is this causing pain. 

17 hours ago, secondtryuser said:

Hey fellas,

I'm 1 day post op, and had a call with a family member and got some bad news (won't go into the details....), which have additionally also caused some arguments between myself and someone else whom I care about. After I took a call, I could feel my scalp twitching....hurting almost. Pinching feelings in the recipient. I checked the mirror - no fresh blood, everything seemed exactly as it had done prior to this bad news.

Do you think there's a chance this kind of emotional state, so close after a procedure can cause problems to the grafts? 

Of course, there's a chance I'm just being paranoid and slight discomfort is to be expected, but it's just that I noticed it after a bad/heated conversation I had to have. 

Any help would be really appreciated. 

(Also, as a catch-all, am I correct in thinking if any damage had been done you'd see the graphs 'pop' on your scalp so to speak and consequently there'd be blood - and if this hasn't happened they're still in place and a raised heart rate due to stress can't cause any problems?)

There is no chance something like this would happen, just relax.

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2024 at 10:44 AM, waleednasief said:

Congrats on the procedure! I get the worry; I've been there. Stress can do weird things to our bodies

But chances are your grafts are hanging in there. If there was a major issue, you'd likely see the signs you mentioned. Take a deep breath, focus on recovery, and try not to let the stress get under your skin—literally! You can also find more tips at MentalHealth.com. Good luck!

• Like 1