Delayed shedding or shock loss. Please guide

Alex Grey

I am 4 months in. 
5th just starting now

I’ve noticed hair fall when I apply oil, minoxidil or shampoo—in my fingers as hair strands 

Is this normal?

I am on 1mg/day finasteride (4 months total) with 5% minoxidil once a day

Am i experiencing delayed shedding or shock loss?

are my transplanted hair falling apart because of bad grafts 

had transplant for 5500 FUT + FUE and beard too

my doctor advised me to stop finasteride and go to dutasteride daily 0.5mg and apply minoxidil two times a day with added 10% minoxidil one time 

I’m skeptical to switch to dutasteride.

I haven’t had any side effects with finasteride yet but can’t say for dutasteride 

also,

doesn’t finasteride needs at least 6 months before it can start being effective

please guide anyone

Why I am still having hair fall

is it telogen effluviam

what it is  

875C4294-A2CF-4666-AAF7-2D96BC45847C.jpeg

61C98CD0-204A-4DCB-91E6-3A81878E1634.jpeg

2E03E64E-4540-4468-B4FD-2AAAF1CAA405.jpeg

9ACE755E-1888-4A93-8C75-5CBC966ADA19.jpeg

A5C8B55A-9F9D-420E-A0BF-979C036523F6.jpeg

7 hours ago, Alex Grey said:

I am 4 months in. 
5th just starting now

I’ve noticed hair fall when I apply oil, minoxidil or shampoo—in my fingers as hair strands 

Is this normal?

I am on 1mg/day finasteride (4 months total) with 5% minoxidil once a day

Am i experiencing delayed shedding or shock loss?

are my transplanted hair falling apart because of bad grafts 

had transplant for 5500 FUT + FUE and beard too

my doctor advised me to stop finasteride and go to dutasteride daily 0.5mg and apply minoxidil two times a day with added 10% minoxidil one time 

I’m skeptical to switch to dutasteride.

I haven’t had any side effects with finasteride yet but can’t say for dutasteride 

also,

doesn’t finasteride needs at least 6 months before it can start being effective

please guide anyone

Why I am still having hair fall

is it telogen effluviam

what it is  

875C4294-A2CF-4666-AAF7-2D96BC45847C.jpeg

61C98CD0-204A-4DCB-91E6-3A81878E1634.jpeg

2E03E64E-4540-4468-B4FD-2AAAF1CAA405.jpeg

9ACE755E-1888-4A93-8C75-5CBC966ADA19.jpeg

A5C8B55A-9F9D-420E-A0BF-979C036523F6.jpeg

As you’ve already completed month four, there is no chance for hair shedding. From now on only new hairs will grow. If you’re losing some hairs, that should be considered as common. But I’ve some other concerns. It was a large area to cover up with only 5500 grafts. Moreover, I don’t know why your doctor suggested using minoxidil twice a day with 10% once. Using topical minoxidil can’t benefit those transplanted hairs. If you had some native hair, then it was understandable In your case, oral minoxidil would’ve been better.

Seems like you have an underlying scalp condition as it is spotty and  inflamed at the front. Also, TBH the work looks sparsely implanted for 5500 grafts ( but perhaps the grafts have been crusted over) and appears very crusty overall, with some purple which is concerning. 

You may be having a reaction to the minoxidil liquid, so I would get off it as it may be putting you in a constant shed. As the OP mentioned you could try Oral minox at a later date.

Next step would be a good dermatologist to check for scalp with biopsy and I would forget about what this Dr tells you also TBH. Did you get it done in India?

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 1:06 PM, Shadman said:

As you’ve already completed month four, there is no chance for hair shedding. From now on only new hairs will grow. If you’re losing some hairs, that should be considered as common. But I’ve some other concerns. It was a large area to cover up with only 5500 grafts. Moreover, I don’t know why your doctor suggested using minoxidil twice a day with 10% once. Using topical minoxidil can’t benefit those transplanted hairs. If you had some native hair, then it was understandable In your case, oral minoxidil would’ve been better.

I’m losing below 100 hair every day as I see them on tables where I work and on my pillows. Yes, been counting 

yes, it’s way large to cover up with 5500

I think I might have about 1500 max grafts reserved for next transplant 

I am hoping that the frontal part with get more density with hairs and the crown can be filled with finasteride 

yes, minoxidil twice a day doesn’t make sense and increasing the strength to 10% isn’t beneficial either.

thank you for your response 

Your guidance is appreciated 

Edited by Alex Grey

11 hours ago, streethawk said:

Seems like you have an underlying scalp condition as it is spotty and  inflamed at the front. Also, TBH the work looks sparsely implanted for 5500 grafts ( but perhaps the grafts have been crusted over) and appears very crusty overall, with some purple which is concerning. 

You may be having a reaction to the minoxidil liquid, so I would get off it as it may be putting you in a constant shed. As the OP mentioned you could try Oral minox at a later date.

Next step would be a good dermatologist to check for scalp with biopsy and I would forget about what this Dr tells you also TBH. Did you get it done in India?

Yes it is done in India 

I do not know about my scalp much and the purple there—it might be from some medication marks.

will ask my doctor about it 

the front red is the inflamed which hasn’t healed yet because I had a graft broken there and was bleeding. The graft are lost there.

ans the red remains of the wound 

I will be going to oral minoxidil after a bit checking with other doctors who weren’t my original surgeons but I need to see with them if I need to switch or topical is just working fine 

thank you for your comment and thoughts 

E4485A6E-1A6F-4CAB-9404-1217E95AB910.jpeg

3418FA05-CD84-4C42-8A5D-074EE6FCBFCD.jpeg

4 hours ago, ITA said:

Your scalp doesn't look entirely healthy to me either.

Seems like I’ll have to get it checked from other doctors who weren’t my original surgeons

will see this weekend as I’m working in weekdays

Thank you for your comment 

• Like 1