Tips when flying, after transplant surgery

8 hours ago, asterix0 said:

They are not.

The only research on the topic is from Bernestain, 2006
"
The study showed that for the first two days, pulling on a hair always resulted in a lost graft, but the chance of the graft being removed started to decrease by the third day. By the sixth day pulling on a hair would no longer dislodge the graft. Pulling on an adherent scab always resulted in a lost graft through day five, with the incidence decreasing through day eight. However, by nine days post-op, grafts were no longer at risk of being dislodged."
After 3 days, excpet you do not try to stretch your hair out, you are perfectly sage.
After 5 days, you won't dislodge the graft even if you try to pull out your hair.

10 hours ago, duchaine said:

The only research on the topic is from Bernestain, 2006
"
The study showed that for the first two days, pulling on a hair always resulted in a lost graft, but the chance of the graft being removed started to decrease by the third day. By the sixth day pulling on a hair would no longer dislodge the graft. Pulling on an adherent scab always resulted in a lost graft through day five, with the incidence decreasing through day eight. However, by nine days post-op, grafts were no longer at risk of being dislodged."
After 3 days, excpet you do not try to stretch your hair out, you are perfectly sage.
After 5 days, you won't dislodge the graft even if you try to pull out your hair.

https://fellermedical.com/what-to-expect-after-a-hair-transplant/

https://wimpoleclinic.com/blog/how-long-after-hair-transplant-are-grafts-secure/#:~:text=Generally%2C hair grafts are fully,heal around each new graft.

If you follow the surgeon’s recovery and aftercare advice, after around five to seven days, the hair grafts should be secure enough for you to gently wash your hair although you should not touch it by hand. Generally, hair grafts are fully secure between 10 and 14 days after the hair transplant procedure. This is usually the time it takes for the scalp to heal around each new graft.

1 hour ago, asterix0 said:

https://fellermedical.com/what-to-expect-after-a-hair-transplant/

https://wimpoleclinic.com/blog/how-long-after-hair-transplant-are-grafts-secure/#:~:text=Generally%2C hair grafts are fully,heal around each new graft.

If you follow the surgeon’s recovery and aftercare advice, after around five to seven days, the hair grafts should be secure enough for you to gently wash your hair although you should not touch it by hand. Generally, hair grafts are fully secure between 10 and 14 days after the hair transplant procedure. This is usually the time it takes for the scalp to heal around each new graft.

This are simple statements taken from a website.
It is not a scientific research ;)

12 minutes ago, duchaine said:

This are simple statements taken from a website.
It is not a scientific research ;)

If you aggregate the majority of hair transplant doctors websites, they will tell you similar information.

Is everyone conspiring against a single article against dr.bernstein, why would they have any reason to do that?

Have you even had a transplant yourself and talked to your doctor, what did they tell you?

1 minute ago, asterix0 said:

If you aggregate the majority of hair transplant doctors websites, they will tell you similar information.

Is everyone conspiring against a single article against dr.bernstein, why would they have any reason to do that?

Have you even had a transplant yourself and talked to your doctor, what did they tell you?

This is not an argument from you.
I talked with a lot of doctors: they literally do not know what is behind their suggestions.
They go for safety. STOP
But sometimes the safer choice is not the better or is simply useless.

33 minutes ago, duchaine said:

This is not an argument from you.
I talked with a lot of doctors: they literally do not know what is behind their suggestions.
They go for safety. STOP
But sometimes the safer choice is not the better or is simply useless.

Don't think, if someone is going through all the hassle, paying all this money to get a hair transplant, a few more days in the hotel just to be safe would be a problem. 

But maybe that's just me.

• Like 1

I believe most consensus is that after a week grafts should be fully safe and anchored. 

The 3/4 day period as per my understanding can be the fibrin keeping the follicles "glued" to the scalp itself but the vascularization might not be fully complete. 

Personally I feel that around day 5 I was fully healed and stopped requiring painkillers to alleviate my post operative headaches but I kept being careful until day 9 which was when I got all my scabs off. 

4 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

Don't think, if someone is going through all the hassle, paying all this money to get a hair transplant, a few more days in the hotel just to be safe would be a problem. 

But maybe that's just me.

That's a matter of personal preference. If someone feel safer to rest a little more, it will not harm him for sure.
If I will get another HT, for sure I will stay in the hotel room for a couple of days because flying the day after the procedure was psychologically taxing. ;)

Too much stressing in this thread. I flew home to the US the day after surgery with Dr Pinto - 8 hours. It's really not a big deal. Few things:

1. I wouldn't worry about wearing a hat - nobody will stare at you. I even went through a pre-flight Covid test and the nurse who stuck a swab up my nose didn't give me an odd look or anything.
  2. Don't worry about spraying your grafts during the flight, you don't have to (Pinto will tell you this himself). I didn't spray until I got home, and my hair grew perfectly.
  3. Window seat is probably ideal but it doesn't really matter. Really, how many times have you ever bumped your head on a flight? Probably never.

That's it, it'll just be a normal flight. You'll be fine. No need to stress about anything, especially since you're going to Pinto, the surgery itself will be a breeze. Try the chicken sandwich from hotel room service, it's pretty good (comes with fries).

4 minutes ago, shadowcast said:

Too much stressing in this thread. I flew home to the US the day after surgery with Dr Pinto - 8 hours. It's really not a big deal. Few things:

1. I wouldn't worry about wearing a hat - nobody will stare at you. I even went through a pre-flight Covid test and the nurse who stuck a swab up my nose didn't give me an odd look or anything.
  2. Don't worry about spraying your grafts during the flight, you don't have to (Pinto will tell you this himself). I didn't spray until I got home, and my hair grew perfectly.
  3. Window seat is probably ideal but it doesn't really matter. Really, how many times have you ever bumped your head on a flight? Probably never.

That's it, it'll just be a normal flight. You'll be fine. No need to stress about anything, especially since you're going to Pinto, the surgery itself will be a breeze. Try the chicken sandwich from hotel room service, it's pretty good (comes with fries).

thanks god.

only point 3: People bump their heads on a flight very frequently. Just do not pay attention to that and forget about it.
I bumped my head during the flight but nothing happened.

Good luck mate. Take it easy, watch your head on the cabin hold doors etc. hopefully flight is a quiet one for you. 

Look forward to seeing recovery. How much did he charge you? And will it be him making the holes? 

Great to see so many here that have had their procedure with Bruno Pinto or are planning to. Especially as I don’t see quite as many results / pictures of his work compared to some of the other upper-end surgeons on here and on his social platforms. I am also booked with him for my very first procedure at the beginning of February 2024 and am looking forward to it. @Otis james wish you all the best for your January procedure and will be keen to follow your journey should you wish to share it. 

Edited by LostAndFound
Typo