Can new hairs pop through the scalp after 7.5 months?

Hi all. 

I had a transplant 7.5 months ago and am not seeing satisfactory results yet.

Yes i know it can take 12 months up to 18 months to see final results.

However my question is, after 7.5 months, is it still possible to see new hairs come through the scalp?

I'm talking about where there are bald spots currently, can transplanted hairs still pop out?

Or after 7.5 months is it only about the thickening of the hairs that have already popped out?

Hoping to hear from people's personal experiences

Responses greatly appreciated!!

Hair will mature so the visual effect will get better, some hair can still pop up although at this stage probably not so many. You can try to draw (with a marker) a 1 cm2 square on the transplanted area and count how many grafts are in that square - then you will get an idea what density you have achieved and whether the surgery was successful. if at that stage there are significantly less grafts visible in comparison to the number that was implanted then there is a high chance that something went wrong.

14 hours ago, Jay95 said:

Hi all. 

I had a transplant 7.5 months ago and am not seeing satisfactory results yet.

Yes i know it can take 12 months up to 18 months to see final results.

However my question is, after 7.5 months, is it still possible to see new hairs come through the scalp?

I'm talking about where there are bald spots currently, can transplanted hairs still pop out?

Or after 7.5 months is it only about the thickening of the hairs that have already popped out?

Hoping to hear from people's personal experiences

Responses greatly appreciated!!

By 8 months in the most cases about 70-80 % of the transplanted hair has visible sights of growth. But there are cases with early growth and cases with really slow growth. You have to wait for the 12 months mark to make a judgment.

@Jay95,

As I’m sure you know, everybody is different so while it typically takes up to 12 to 18 months to see your final result, slow growers may take longer for their new growth to begin, pop through the scalp and/or mature.. Thus, I think it’s definitely more than possible that you may experience new growth at 7.5 months postop.

I hope this helps

Best Wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.