Temporary hair growth post transplant?

Hi, I’ve tried finding any discussion on this anywhere and haven’t had any luck. 

The temporary post transplant growth that happens with the grafts usually prior to the shedding phase following the surgery is that a sign that the grafts have survived? Does that initial growth happen to everyone or are there individuals that don’t experience any growth with the grafts until after the sheddding phase? 

• Valued Contributor

I guess not everyone see that growth...it varies from person to person..i think if more of those transplanted hairs are in growth phase than a person may see some initial growth.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• Valued Contributor

I would imagine that once the grafts have been implanted correctly and not damaged during the surgical process then the hair in it that sheds is probably not an indicator. Care of the grafts from extraction to being outside of the body to implanting is everything.

@21yrold,

It’s very typical for the newly transplanted hair to start growing immediately after surgery up until the shedding period.  That said, sometimes, some of the transponder hair will not grow before the shedding. But it doesn’t necessarily mean that those grafts did not survive.

Sometimes, the trauma to the scalp during hair transplant surgery may prevent initial growth before the shedding period from occurring. However, 3 to 5 months after surgery, these newly transplanted hairs will break through the surface of the scalp and begin growing.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 hour ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@21yrold,

However, 3 to 5 months after surgery, these newly transplanted hairs will break through the surface of the scalp and begin growing.

Hi there... your statement is confusing. What exactly do you mean by, "break through the surface of the scalp." Are you saying that transplanted hairs are "trapped" under the skin and will eventually break threw it?

Edited by wprevil

3 hours ago, wprevil said:

Hi there... your statement is confusing. What exactly do you mean by, "break through the surface of the scalp." Are you saying that transplanted hairs are "trapped" under the skin and will eventually break threw it?

Hair growth starts beneath the skin and without a natural pore to grow through, the transplanted hair does need to break the surface in a sense. This is why so many people get folliculitis. 

Edited by Will_the_way

7 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@21yrold,

It’s very typical for the newly transplanted hair to start growing immediately after surgery up until the shedding period.  That said, sometimes, some of the transponder hair will not grow before the shedding. But it doesn’t necessarily mean that those grafts did not survive.

Sometimes, the trauma to the scalp during hair transplant surgery may prevent initial growth before the shedding period from occurring. However, 3 to 5 months after surgery, these newly transplanted hairs will break through the surface of the scalp and begin growing.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thank you for the insight doctor.

18 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@21yrold,

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Given the hairs have to break through the surface after the shed phase does that also mean that when they break the surface they don’t actually come right out of literally the exact same incision hole they were place via? So would they instead exit within a given radius of the incision obviously maintaining the direction of the implantation? 

Edited by 21yrold