Does Minoxidil stop working after a while?

alexmillne

Does Minoxidil stop working after a while?

I'm confused by conflicting information. I've been using Finasteride for two years, which has slowed down my hair loss but hasn't made new hair grow. Now, I'm thinking about trying topical minoxidil, but I'm worried it might not work as well after around seven years. Should I wait until my hair loss gets worse, or should I start using it now while it's not so bad?

I'm wondering if Minoxidil loses its effectiveness over time, and if that's the case, should I save it for later? Are there any studies that look at how well Minoxidil works over the long term?

• Administrators

Where are you getting this information? From anonymous people online? Minoxidil is FDA approved for a reason. It works. There’s dozens of studies showing minoxidil works. It doesn’t stop working. But hair loss will slowly progress. It’s not a cure, but combined with finasteride, you’re giving yourself the most effective treatment.

You can take oral minoxidil which is more effective and eliminates needing to apply it topically, if thats your main concern. You keep making these threads. If you don’t wanna take it, don’t. But you’re the only one producing these theories that it makes hair loss worse, or that it stops working. There have been zero studies to support these claims. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

39 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Where are you getting this information? From anonymous people online? Minoxidil is FDA approved for a reason. It works. There’s dozens of studies showing minoxidil works. It doesn’t stop working. But hair loss will slowly progress. It’s not a cure, but combined with finasteride, you’re giving yourself the most effective treatment.

You can take oral minoxidil which is more effective and eliminates needing to apply it topically, if thats your main concern. You keep making these threads. If you don’t wanna take it, don’t. But you’re the only one producing these theories that it makes hair loss worse, or that it stops working. There have been zero studies to support these claims. 

Thanks, Melvin. To clarify, I'm not making any personal claims here. I've been researching online, including reading comments on YouTube, and I've come across a lot of information about Minoxidil. I understand that much of it may be anecdotal or unreliable, which is why I'm reaching out to experts here.

My interest lies in understanding the long-term effects of using Minoxidil as a standalone treatment, without combining it with Finasteride (to get an objective view). I'm seeking studies or documented cases that can provide insights into what happens when people use Minoxidil over an extended period.

I want to emphasize that I don't easily buy into unsupported myths. In fact, I personally take 1.25mg of Finasteride daily and have experienced no side effects. My decision in taking it was based on my own research and understanding, free from external bias.

To sum it up, I'm keen to learn if there are any credible studies or documented experiences of individuals who have used Minoxidil alone for an extended period and what outcomes they have encountered.

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, alexmillne said:

Here's an expert who often posts YouTube videos on this subject. He says that Minoxidil can lose its strength over time. I'd like to find more information and studies about this."

Minoxidil answers.JPG

So you’re basing all of this off what one YouTuber said. Like I said there is ZERO evidence that minoxidil stops working. This is nothing more than hearsay at best. 

Every five year study has shown hair count to be higher than baseline. You’re asking the wrong question. You should be asking, is there any proof that minoxidil stops working. The answer is no. 

IMG_9828.png

https://pharmaceutical-journal.com/article/news/how-minoxidil-was-transformed-from-an-antihypertensive-to-hair-loss-drug#:~:text=Professor Chu knows of patients,a good head of hair.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, alexmillne said:

Here's an expert who often posts YouTube videos on this subject. He says that Minoxidil can lose its strength over time. I'd like to find more information and studies about this."

Minoxidil answers.JPG

You are seriously over thinking this. If you want to preserve your hair your best bet is to jump on Min NOW. There is no reason for waiting whatsoever and waiting will leave you worse off. Don't try to over-analyze things based on your misunderstanding on one Youtuber. "Potency fading" just means you aren't going to get the same re-growth forever (this is obvious) This is different than minoxidil "no longer working".