What are the odds that the scalp will be permanently tight after an HT?

I'm afraid of 2 things really:

1. My scalp will remain permanently tight after an HT. I've read instances where this has happened to others, completely ruining their life. Has this happened to anyone here?

2. All of the nasty side effects from having to take finasteride or propecia for the rest of your life following an HT. Do you have to take this forever? I'm one that likes to avoid prescription drugs if possible.

I'm afraid of 2 things really:

1. My scalp will remain permanently tight after an HT. I've read instances where this has happened to others, completely ruining their life. Has this happened to anyone here?

2. All of the nasty side effects from having to take finasteride or propecia for the rest of your life following an HT. Do you have to take this forever? I'm one that likes to avoid prescription drugs if possible.

Hi

Regarding scalp tightness, I think it is safe to say it is an extremely low percentage your scalp will not stretch ( i.e remain tight) from a regular transplant by a qualified doctor. I have had 3 HT's and actually the third one had the least amount of post op tightness as I did scalp exercises for the 1st prior to surgery

As far as meds, I have been on propecia since it was made available in 2000 or so. No side effects here. Remember, people take 5mg of this medicine for prostate problems ( hairloss is 1mg). i am not into meds either but at some point in your life you will most likely have to take something. Others prefer to smoke or drink. it's all relative in my mind.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

notsosure,

I can't speak about medications, never having taken them.

Regarding scalp tightness: having had two somewhat large procedures (4200 and 3100 grafts, respectively), I've found that in each case, the feeling of tightness all but vanished within a couple of months after staple removal. I think it's safe to say that a skilled surgeon will be as focused on donor area healing as on the overall appearance of the transplant.

Benjamin

Pretty small considering we remove rather large basal cell and other cancers from scalps all the time and perform various flaps and usually no long term complaints. Here's one example I found that we sometimes come across (forehead here but applicable other areas of scalp):

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/876972-media

Hey Ben, so you've had 2 HT's and have not had to take any medication? I assumed anyone that got an HT would need to get on meds in order to ensure a successful and long lasting HT. Am I wrong?

notsosure,

Based on both conversations with Dr. Feller and what I've researched on this forum, my understanding is that transplanted hair doesn't require medication for the same reasons that allow transplantation in the first place -- the transplanted hair is inherently non-balding.

Benjamin

Hi

The new transplanted hair from the donor area has genetic immunity to DHT which causes the hairloss. So for this reason it does not fall out and does not need the Propecia to keep it from minuturizing. Lastly Propecia does not only work on the crown rather stops hairloss all over and can have some regrowth affects as well.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by FacelessMan:

notsosure,

I believe so...but Propecia, as far as I know, works on the crown only.

Bottom line, of course, is whatever your (or any) physician tells you...

Actually notsosure,Rogaine is more useful on the crown and propecia/finasteride/proscar same things are useful all over your head.

Good luck!

Benjamin

Dr Hasson 2-08