Dr. Pittella Head Size Changes The Number of Grafts- Here's Why

• Administrators

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I will check the video out later but this is an interesting point. And I have always wondered. Does losing or gaining weight changes skull size and so the number of grafts needed or perhaps how your hairs look depending on if you’re fat or thin at that time?

Ignore if it’s already answered in the video. 

As a guy who wears a hat size of 7 5/8 (which I think is big but not huge) this is what I have both feared and expected to be true. I wish you would've asked him his thoughts on whether guys with big heads have correspondingly large donor areas on a more or less 1:1 ratio?

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

As a guy who wears a hat size of 7 5/8 (which I think is big but not huge) this is what I have both feared and expected to be true. I wish you would've asked him his thoughts on whether guys with big heads have correspondingly large donor areas on a more or less 1:1 ratio?

I did ask him, I’ll post his response with the time stamp on the original question. 

58:06 he answers this question 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, HairEnthusiast101 said:

What is considered an average size head?

Hard to say, I think if a fitted medium 7-7 1/8 fits you that would be average. Below that would be small and above that large. 

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, jjalay said:

I dont really understand this argument. People with larger head they also have larger donor area so this is a little bit off for me.

Did you listen to his response? It doesn’t always mean that you have more donor. Head shape and donor density varies regardless of the size. So it doesn’t always mean you’ll get more grafts. 

View my thread

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Did you listen to his response? It doesn’t always mean that you have more donor. Head shape and donor density varies regardless of the size. So it doesn’t always mean you’ll get more grafts. 

I think its a good argument to rejekt patients that are not good candidates though.. "Excuse me sir your head is so big that its impossible to perform a hairtransplant on you!"

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, jjalay said:

I dont really understand this argument. People with larger head they also have larger donor area so this is a little bit off for me.

I have a large Norwood 7 head and my scalp donor was poor. With the same poor scalp donor and a smaller large Norwood 7 head I would have required less grafts. 

No photo description available.

Those who have a dolichocephalic skull shape will need much less grafts compared to someone who has a brachycephalic skull shape. This explains why some people can get full coverage from 6k grafts, while others need 14k+ grafts. In math terms if you divide the width of the head by the length and times by 100, you get a "Cephalic Index" the lower this number to more likely you can achieve full coverage with less grafts and the reverse for a higher index number. 

Edited by Bandit90
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Bandit90 said:

Those who have a dolichocephalic skull shape will need much less grafts compared to someone who has a brachycephalic skull shape. This explains why some people can get full coverage from 6k grafts, while others need 14k+ grafts. In math terms if you divide the width of the head by the length and times by 100, you get a "Cephalic Index" the lower this number to more likely you can achieve full coverage with less grafts and the reverse for a higher index number. 

Tremendous info. The posters on this forum are far and away the best informed of any HT forum and it isn't even close. 

Add this to the list of things that makes one either a good or bad canidate for HT surgery. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Bandit90 said:

10/10 post, the Euryprospic shape would be the one he was talking about having less donor despite being large.

View my thread

where would you measure the width here?

IMG_7941.webp.2ba2ffe7b1580588715c5c510254b4be.webp

zidane heads is expanding the more yoi go up and has its peak more at his crown (commonly referred to in school as light bulb head)

IMG_7942.webp.36097dd935bf46b9097a5be1626e04ec.webp

while former president of niger mohamed bazoum has the peak of his width of the skull near has cheekbones and gets narrower towards the crown, commonly also referred to as coneheads

image.thumb.jpeg.0f610076588f922038e255a5cd11729a.jpeg

then we need to take into account that also the shape in the profile can deeply vary

image.jpeg.5fe7b0ceb9a0bc562750d7dcd3835315.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d18ebd5d25eed7962a9d367c9b5de0e0.jpeg

roger stone might be more brachycephalic then the kid above but im not sure if he wouldnt be still in advantage when it comes crown covering etc

image.thumb.jpeg.85fde856663ed3ad0b2dba2e25e7ce9e.jpeg

8 hours ago, Bandit90 said:

14 hours ago, Bandit90 said:

This explains why some people can get full coverage from 6k grafts, while others need 14k+ grafts.  

What?? 

Can you show me someone with such a big head they needed 14k+ grafts for full coverage. I don’t think we are talking human heads here 😂 

Edited by Turkhair

16 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I have a large Norwood 7 head and my scalp donor was poor. With the same poor scalp donor and a smaller large Norwood 7 head I would have required less grafts. 

But your case is very unique to someone with a “virgin scalp”. You were a repair patient. Few things that are very unique about your case

- Lower hairline to hide the scars. That’s a lot of grafts. 

- Temple points done. Again a lot of grafts. 

- A lot of body hairs used. For comparison, one scalp graft can be equal to 2 or 3 or 5 body hair! usually in range of 2-3. 

Head size makes a difference but not that big of a difference. 6-7k scalp grafts would’ve been enough for full coverage which is about the same as everyone else. 

I don’t think your head size played that big of a role, your scars, temple points used up a lot of grafts and you also didn’t have a lot of scalp grafts due to previous surgeries wasting them. If you had started with a “virgin scalp” your graft numbers would’ve been lower.

19 minutes ago, Turkhair said:

What?? 

Can you show me someone with such a big head they needed 14k+ grafts for full coverage. I don’t think we are talking human heads here 😂 

For comparison I had around 6k grafts transplanted for full coverage and I think I have a big head. I can’t imagine how big the head would be of someone needing double the amount of grafts I have plus 2-3k extra just to get coverage. Sheeeshhhh