I am so worried about my FUE HT looking unnatural - it's stopping me from taking the plunge! Will a HT ever look 100% COMPLETELY natural?

I had my first FUE in 2012 and I've never been asked once if I did something and I have a ton of friends who would 100000% "call me out" on that if they thought something was up. I have had a ton of people tell me I look a lot better has I've gotten older though which I think a lot of it has to do with the HT's.

38 minutes ago, gaz9318054 said:

Looking better doesn't always mean looking good.

I'm not sure that you have realistic expectations. If not, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

My native hair density is somewhere around 75-80 grafts per cm^2. My recent transplant has filled in my hairline at about 45 grafts per cm^2 at the front, tapering off as it moves back toward my native hair and begins to overlap it.

The transplanted hair will grow and look better than the bare skin that was there before. But at short length, it will still look bad against the higher density areas where my native hair still grows. I'll likely need to grow it out a few inches before it all blends nicely, and if I weren't willing to grow it out, I'd probably have been better off not having the procedure at all.

Even if I were to have a super dense transplant by an elite surgeon where and 100% of the transplanted grafts survived, there are still things like angulation and hair texture to consider, which can still easily create a visible contrast between the native and transplanted areas at a short length.

I think a natural-looking result depends heavily how you grow and style it. Wearing a buzz cut or similar almost completely defeats the purpose.

Great answer! I understand now.  It sucks it's not 100% there yet though.  I wonder what the next few years will be!?

5 minutes ago, BadBeat said:

I had my first FUE in 2012 and I've never been asked once if I did something and I have a ton of friends who would 100000% "call me out" on that if they thought something was up. I have had a ton of people tell me I look a lot better has I've gotten older though which I think a lot of it has to do with the HT's.

Really?  I mean I just want BETTER than I have.I just want it to look good with the hairline.  I know nothing is 100%. I know that. 

1 minute ago, T218HT said:

Really?  I mean I just want BETTER than I have.I just want it to look good with the hairline.  I know nothing is 100%. I know that. 

Yes. Believe me, I was terrified of things not looking natural. I'm sure each situation is different with level of hair loss, etc. but just make sure you find a great surgeon and be realistic and stay more in the conservative range with the expected result instead of trying to lower a hairline 2 inches.

13 minutes ago, BadBeat said:

This is my hair now!

tal214kj8t2b1.jpg.webp

IMG_0299.jpeg

IMG_0298.jpeg

IMG_0297.jpeg

IMG_0295.jpeg

IMG_0293.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

Edited by T218HT

16 minutes ago, T218HT said:

This is my hair now!

tal214kj8t2b1.jpg.webp

IMG_0299.jpeg

IMG_0298.jpeg

IMG_0297.jpeg

IMG_0295.jpeg

IMG_0293.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

If you could have a perfect (angles, positioning, growth rate) transplant, where would you have the hair placed?

You don't have enough donor hair to get back to your natural density, and probably don't have enough for full coverage even at half natural density. 

The only way to make it look more natural is to grow it out post transplant.

So your choice is, grow it, or live with it as it is. 

Since (IIRC) you don't want to take medication (apologies if I have misremembered your position on that) your situation will get worse, so any plan would have to assume you will become slick bald on the top of your head.

Edited by BackFromTheBrink

14 minutes ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

If you could have a perfect (angles, positioning, growth rate) transplant, where would you have the hair placed?

You don't have enough donor hair to get back to your natural density, and probably don't have enough for full coverage even at half natural density. 

The only way to make it look more natural is to grow it out post transplant.

So your choice is, grow it, or live with it as it is. 

Since (IIRC) you don't want to take medication (apologies if I have misremembered your position on that) your situation will get worse, so any plan would have to assume you will become slick bald on the top of your head.

I don't want to take medication (I take foam Rogaine) and tried Fin for several years but it DID screw up my libido in a big way.  

Are there advancements in medication that don't have those side effects?

Well I am 42, and haven't lost much of anything in the last few years.

If I DO get the FUE transplant, can it look BETTER as far as just a straight bald top?I know I won't ever get 100% density.  The illusion of hair is what we all want right?

14 hours ago, StillAlive said:

This.

If you over-analyze everything, you will only drive yourself crazy. One HT will not be enough and it will always be something else. A good HT surgeon can make you look like you have a full head of hair and provide a significant improvement over your previous, balding or bald look. Always remember, it's an illusion, an approximation. That being said, it can look quite natural and you don't even have to go to a top tier surgeon for that. 

Funny thing is, I see natural hair loss patterns that look like bad hair transplants lol.

For example, I myself have a large bald spot on my crown but I have a patch of hair in the center of it (like a donut).  You could make the assumption that I had a hair transplant in the crown, and that my loss just progressed around it...but I never did, lol.

6 hours ago, BadBeat said:

how many transplants have you had to have? did the hair continue to recede even if you were on medicine?

I think you look great with the beard and shaved hair look but I get it if it bothers you. It's all in the eye of the beholder. How about doing some FUE in the balding areas and then SMF to hide the FUE scars and add a little density? You'd still have to wear your hair really short but you might be able to pull off the "I have a full head of hair but buzz it" look.

6 hours ago, Big Rome said:

go look at @DrMunibAhmad work & tell me hair transplants can’t look totally natural 🔥

😎

• Like 2

Have you looked into SMP at all OP? Admittedly I’m no expert on SMP but it does seem to accomplish, or try to accomplish, what you seem to want; a buzzed look that covers bald spots. I have read that SMP artists/techniques have gotten a lot better in the last 5 years. I believe you’d have to have your hair shorter than a 2 guard for the illusion to work for your temples, but it may be worth looking into based on what you’ve described your goals as. 

21 hours ago, T218HT said:

I don't want to take medication (I take foam Rogaine) and tried Fin for several years but it DID screw up my libido in a big way.  

Are there advancements in medication that don't have those side effects?

Well I am 42, and haven't lost much of anything in the last few years.

If I DO get the FUE transplant, can it look BETTER as far as just a straight bald top?I know I won't ever get 100% density.  The illusion of hair is what we all want right?

You have a good shaped head and beard.  I am similar to you in this regard in both hair loss pattern and even hair type/color.  I also do not take any meds.

I am trying for a full, front to back, hair transplant in two sessions.  I just did the first one in April.   I am planning for the crown session early next year.

My plan is to do FUE, get full coverage, but with the understanding that it won't be original density.  Wearing hair short or longer in certain areas can work well, if you know how to style it.  As my native hairs continue to fall out over time, I can buzz the head on a two-guard with clippers, and sport a nicer buzzed look (with a better framed hairline).  

I'll eventually post photos on here.  We'll see how it goes.

8 minutes ago, Bucky O Hair said:

You have a good shaped head and beard.  I am similar to you in this regard in both hair loss pattern and even hair type/color.  I also do not take any meds.

I am trying for a full, front to back, hair transplant in two sessions.  I just did the first one in April.   I am planning for the crown session early next year.

My plan is to do FUE, get full coverage, but with the understanding that it won't be original density.  Wearing hair short or longer in certain areas can work well, if you know how to style it.  As my native hairs continue to fall out over time, I can buzz the head on a two-guard with clippers, and sport a nicer buzzed look (with a better framed hairline).  

I'll eventually post photos on here.  We'll see how it goes.

Oh wow!  So you like to keep your hair short too?  How do you like your transplant so far?  Who did you go to?

• Valued Contributor

@T218HT

Managing Expectations: Keeping realistic expectations is a critical factor in determining your overall satisfaction with the outcome of a hair transplant surgery. Your happiness at the end of the process is closely tied to how well you manage your expectations.

Variability in Results: It's important to acknowledge that the results of a hair transplant can vary significantly from person to person. This variation arises from a multitude of factors, including individual physiology, surgical techniques employed, and the expertise of the medical team.

The Importance of Research:Educating yourself about the nuances of hair transplant surgery is vital. The more time and effort you invest in researching the procedure, the better prepared you'll be to make informed decisions regarding your hair restoration journey.

Surgeon's Role: Your choice of surgeon plays a pivotal role in shaping your expectations and overall satisfaction. A reputable surgeon will guide you honestly, helping you set realistic goals based on your unique situation, rather than simply promising unattainable results.

I hope this helps you ..best of luck.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

9 hours ago, T218HT said:

Oh wow!  So you like to keep your hair short too?  How do you like your transplant so far?  Who did you go to?

I would like to keep my hair short, ha ha.

But I had deeply receded temples that I would have to comb hairs over it to hide (and have to grow my hair out to about 2-3 inches)...but I hate the shaggyness of the hairstyle.  I have to grow my hair about 3 inches everywhere to cover the receded temples, but my hair on top has thinned out so it looks worse when long.    

I am only 4.5 months postop (I went to Rahal) but my temples are beginning to fill, so I will be able to finally cut my hair shorter (to probably 1 inch lengths) without having to always think about having to hide my temples anymore.  I also have a big bald spot on my crown, so I need to address that as well.  

My plan was to get a hair transplant to simply eliminate the PATTERN (receded temples and circle bald spot on the crown) and enjoy it for as long as possible, then buzz it shorter as it thins out (with possible future transplants and SMP to fill in any future bald spots).

The jury is still out on the results, but we'll see if this plan works.

1 hour ago, Bucky O Hair said:

I would like to keep my hair short, ha ha.

But I had deeply receded temples that I would have to comb hairs over it to hide (and have to grow my hair out to about 2-3 inches)...but I hate the shaggyness of the hairstyle.  I have to grow my hair about 3 inches everywhere to cover the receded temples, but my hair on top has thinned out so it looks worse when long.    

I am only 4.5 months postop (I went to Rahal) but my temples are beginning to fill, so I will be able to finally cut my hair shorter (to probably 1 inch lengths) without having to always think about having to hide my temples anymore.  I also have a big bald spot on my crown, so I need to address that as well.  

My plan was to get a hair transplant to simply eliminate the PATTERN (receded temples and circle bald spot on the crown) and enjoy it for as long as possible, then buzz it shorter as it thins out (with possible future transplants and SMP to fill in any future bald spots).

The jury is still out on the results, but we'll see if this plan works.

Hey man that's great you did it! How many grafts did you get?  And are you going back for round 2 for the crown?

1 hour ago, T218HT said:

Hey man that's great you did it! How many grafts did you get?  And are you going back for round 2 for the crown?

3200 grafts in the front half of my head.  

I had no shockloss, redness for about three months, a bit of recipient scarring, but no donor scarring, and my remaining donor looks good for at least another HT or two.  

Planning for the crown next year, but at the same time, I would like to see the final results of this front HT first.  

• Valued Contributor

I have to be honest in that you have to be psychologically 'ready' for a hair transplant. It's one thing if you have a lush donor or you are a Norwood 2. However you have to accept the risk that a bad results is a very small possibility. You can always have a hair transplant 'tomorrow.' All the best.

• Like 1