Sleeping after FUE. Donor area burns pretty badly after, 3 nights post op

I’ve only been using the U travel pillow as instructed. Man my donor area seems to burn quite badly when I wake up, is this normal after 3 days? I have to pop a Tylenol when I wake up the last couple days. I’ve also really been struggling to achieve any semblance of comfort while on my back, the last night or so I sort of turned to the side with the U pillow, being extra cautious as to not have anything touch the recipient area, anyone else do this? Probably not good for my neck but nothing is touching the recipient area:

34D09FEE-8425-4453-BC8B-E9EB3332A54B.thumb.jpeg.e8dffe05b5776a757c788b4ed79d950e.jpeg

I keep incessantly checking to make sure nothing has disrupted the recipient area, I think it looks good but let me know if you see something:

D5A10FFF-CE85-4AD9-920E-303B92BC0215.thumb.jpeg.718a98e442611fc6d1b4b6b88a1757ec.jpeg

Same here man I am at 5 days post op and having quiet bit of discomfort in my donor. It feels like cramp like pain that comes in waves and the sclap/donor area is very tender to touch. I have to take advil to be able to sleep. At this point I am wondering if this is normal as well. 

Some do experience donor pain that can kick in a few days post surgery and last week or so and is more prevalent at night. Your clinic will be able to advise but we say to patients to take pain killers, vit b complex can help for nerves and also apply cold aloe vera gel etc to help discomfort. It will pass and is common what you are experiencing. See your respective clinics for what they recommend but don't worry unduly as it is common for this timeline. 

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

If you can’t sleep then it simply means your neck pillow isn’t comfy enough and big enough. I got lucky ( Thank God ) that the one I ordered online (which had bad reviews with people whining about its quality) was big and comfortable enough that it hugged me well and I had no issues. I ordered two more and I didn’t like either for some reason. I don’t know what to tell you I am not a neck pillow vendor but if it’s big/comfortable you will just know it’s the right one. 

Put one big and one small pillow behind you then sleep in a neck pillow, most hotels already have this arrangement. You will not touch your donor area or recipient. Small tip: Pull your shirt upwards so the neck pillow touches your shirt not your neck/skin. A shirt one or two sizes bigger helps. This helps that even during sleep, the neck pillow doesn’t go really up touching your donor and stays in place just near your neck.

Do not sleep like that on your side. That’s super risky.

Donor area should be sore but you shouldn’t be feeling this much pain not for your first run at least. Something that helped me was saline spray on donor, adjusting the humidity/temperature of the room. 

Absolutely do NOT touch your face as you run the risk of infection. 

Your clinic should have provided you with Bepanthol lotion or something to help with healing. If not, then get it yourself. The lotion my clinic provided was a lifesaver, it healed me really fast and there was no issue of itching or pain.

This is one of the things I absolutely love about Dr Pekiner is he bandages you up completely, both the donor and recipient heals so fast, gives you antibiotics and corticosteroids and it’s a breeze going through post op. My recipient didn’t look bloody like yours even day 2 but blackish/scabby. You should demand something from your clinic, Tylenol isn’t going to help with healing or itching mate.

The fantastic news though is your density looks amazing, just get through the rough 10 days post op and you’re going to be ecstatic with your new hairs

Edited by Turkhair
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Turkhair said:

Do not sleep like that on your side. That’s super risky.

Donor area should be sore but you shouldn’t be feeling this much pain not for your first run at least. Something that helped me was saline spray on donor, adjusting the humidity/temperature of the room. 

Absolutely do NOT touch your face as you run the risk of infection. 

Your clinic should have provided you with Bepanthol lotion or something to help with healing. If not, then get it yourself. The lotion my clinic provided was a lifesaver, it healed me really fast and there was no issue of itching or pain.

This is one of the things I absolutely love about Dr Pekiner is he bandages you up completely, both the donor and recipient heals so fast, gives you antibiotics and corticosteroids and it’s a breeze going through post op. My recipient didn’t look bloody like yours even day 2 but blackish/scabby. You should demand something from your clinic, Tylenol isn’t going to help with healing or itching mate.

The fantastic news though is your density looks amazing, just get through the rough 10 days post op and you’re going to be ecstatic with your new hairs

Thanks man. My clinic, H&W, instructions say to sleep on your back for at least 3 nights. I did accomplish this somehow, well the 2nd and 3rd night were basically minimal/no sleep. I did sleep like this side way last night (night 4), why do you say it’s super risky? I don’t see how i could possibly touch the recipient area unless I did like a face plant or something crazy. It’s probably not good for my neck to extend like that but I just have so much trouble sleeping on my back in general. My donor is feeling better today. 

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.